The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I think the genre is all important. As I mentioned, I really like stuff Emmylou Harris has done but in the latter stages of her career it’s almost Americana. Ditto Bruce at his quietest like the albums Nebraska and Tom Joad. I can listen to country rock quite happily. It’s when the music strays into pure country I start having problems. Bluegrass I can take (Alison Kraus) as it has firm roots in Celtic music. The only country artist I can honestly say I like is Dolly P but she does a load of bluegrass too. It’s something about the voices and the guitar that grates. I started liking the Lucinda album but the more I played it the more it started to grate on me. I wish I could put my finger on exactly what it is.
Totally agree. People on here seem to have me down as a country fan, but when it's straight-ahead country, or even straight-ahead blues, it's not something that I am keen on.

I have given this album an 8 because I do enjoy it, it brings back happy memories of me getting into his music, but it's not really representative of where Steve Earle's career went. As noted, I totally understand why Mancitydoogle picked this album, and it's in line with the criteria we set out when this thread was created. But I think it's a hard sell to most of the regulars.

Sorry, tried and tried and tried, just can't get over the drawl. Of both the singing and the instruments. I don't need BPMs or pace, but there is just something about this that seems to go nowhere. And while musically there is nothing offensive in it, I find it an unpleasant experience.

I'm sure he can write a song and a lyric and can play instruments, but I can't tell it from the next country singer. I gave copperhead road a go, it was the same but with a bit of distortion.

I get the same from this as I did Lucinda Williams, and although it doesn't grate as much as she did, my mood is the worse for it. So I guess it at least gets a point for making me feel something. Like that album, I considered not scoring, but I have now come to think of that as more disrespectful than giving it a number, so I will go with a 3.

I take it you're not a fan of the steel guitar? It's quite a divisive instrument I find. It can be quite clichéd and sentimental, even mawkish but when played well and with a bit of restraint I love a bit of lap steel. I think this album is at it's best when it connects with the contemporary bluegrass high lonesome sound. The lap steel on tracks like my old friend the blues is relatively subtle and works well in the context of the song.

I think it was Belfry in his review mentioned whether my old friend the blues is simply an exercise is being miserable in tune. I think that fails to acknowledge some of the sensibilities of music like bluegrass, which that song whilst not being exactly bluegrass certainly has elements of. Folk blues and bluegrass have a lot in common not least a kind a fatalistic religiousity that can come off as quite sentimental if you're not buying into it.

I was also interested in MrB's comment about lack of relatability; I think a song like Someday might have it's own setting but is fairly universal. In the lines about his brother getting out but him being too small for a football scholarship, it's all about what's not said rather than what is. The fear of the new; the excuses we make to justify our choices and the degree to which we own our own lives. That said I regularly argue that Springsteen's heartland rock speaks little to me so I'm being quite contrary I think.

Rob has already said most of what I would have said about this pick. Perhaps the only thing I would add is I can sympathise with you and bimbo when you talk about it being generic because I do think there is an element in this album of him not yet having fully found his own voice, though you can hear it emerging in various places. Per Rob, I would disagree re. Copperhead Road though where I think he very much had.

This one is 7.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
At the risk of jumping the gun, I'm currently sat on a terrace in mid 30's temps wondering about the seasonality of our picks. I've got a glacial northern european classic lined up for tomorrow that feels entirely at odds with my surroundings. Anyone object if I substitute in something authentically Italian instead, I was thinking maybe Joe Dolce?

At the risk of jumping the gun, I'm currently sat on a terrace in mid 30's temps wondering about the seasonality of our picks. I've got a glacial northern european classic lined up for tomorrow that feels entirely at odds with my surroundings. Anyone object if I substitute in something authentically Italian instead, I was thinking maybe Joe Dolce?
Tomorrow would definitely be jumping the gun. Its only Monday today.

Do you have a terrace at home/work or are you in Italy at the moment? (just being nosey).

Tomorrow would definitely be jumping the gun. Its only Monday today.

Do you have a terrace at home/work or are you in Italy at the moment? (just being nosey).

Good spot! I've only been on holiday since Friday and I've lost track of time already, result!

Near the Italian Lakes at the moment, doing the square root of bugger all apart from listening to Italians moan about the weather and global warming:-) Heading to the Veneto next week, trying to decide if we really want to submit ourselves to Venice in August, probably not on balance I think as I don't want my sense of smell permanently destroyed.

Genuine comment re the pick though (not the Joe Dolce bit ). What I've got lined up is not really light summery fare so wondering if I park it to a later date.

Edit: on the subject of terraces at home was having a conversation with a chap here about whether it's worth us I'm the UK thinking differently about our architecture to account for temp rises. Think I'd quite fancy a wrap around balcony at home!

Last edited:

Musica è. As Eros would dice.

Good spot! I've only been on holiday since Friday and I've lost track of time already, result!

Near the Italian Lakes at the moment, doing the square root of bugger all apart from listening to Italians moan about the weather and global warming:-) Heading to the Veneto next week, trying to decide if we really want to submit ourselves to Venice in August, probably not on balance I think as I don't want my sense of smell permanently destroyed.

Genuine comment re the pick though (not the Joe Dolce bit ). What I've got lined up is not really light summery fare so wondering if I park it to a later date.

Edit: on the subject of terraces at home was having a conversation with a chap here about whether it's worth us I'm the UK thinking differently about our architecture to account for temp rises. Think I'd quite fancy a wrap around balcony at home!
Went to Venice in April and it was great. Far less busy than I expected, but yes, in August, it might be a bit too much. Anyway, enjoy your holiday.

I'd just go with whatever you want - who cares whether it's nice icy cold sound in the middle of summer? It might work in lieu of aircon.

Musica è. As Eros would dice.

I was going to say when you look at the likes of him and Zucchero they must have something going for them when you look at the list of people they've collaborated with, then I realised that what they have going for them is being a gateway to untapped markets.

I’m afraid I’m in the same camp as @Coatigan for this one. Country really isn’t my bag at all. I’d been mulling his voice over for a few listens, but Mrs Daze hit it on the head by describing his voice as harsh - which does sum it up for me. Maybe that’s due to early production, and having listened to Copperhead Road he doesn’t sound quite as bad. CR is a bit heavier for me and would have got an extra mark but still not my cup of tea. Steel guitar really isn’t my bag either so I’m a bit stuck!!
I love most blues music so I’m used to melancholic tales of wow, but country remains a mystery that my ears can’t unlock. The thought of line dancing and letting out the occasional yee haw fills me with total dread.
4/10 for me

Could not get into this in 86 and nothing's changed now.
Still find no meat in the bones of the songs.
All pretty safe and nothing stands out.
Should be my cup of tea as well.Will put alongside Jason Isbell another for some reason I just cannot get into.4/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.