The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I'm also interested in MrB's comment about lack of relatability; I think a song like Someday might have it's own setting but is fairly universal. In the lines about his brother getting out but him being too small for a football scholarship, it's all about what's not said rather than what is. The fear of the new; the excuses we make to justify our choices and the degree to which we own our own lives. That said I regularly argue that Springsteen's heartland rock speaks little to me so I'm being quite contrary I think.
It's the small town, drive to a lake, I've got an old car I'm gonna drive away etc. it feels like a genre convention rather than an actual feeling he's has.

I live in Manchester and I don't think Sale Water Park counts as a lake. I have more opportunities than just pumping gas. I do have a brother who is ostensibly more successful than me but I celebrate his success rather than be jealous of it.

I think I explained it poorly in my review but it's the genre that makes it unrelatable to me - it's so specific to a time, a place, a feeling that l can't connect (similar to rap as mentioned in my review). Country is too much about country

I can get feeling unfulfilled, the fear of the new etc but I don't hear that when I hear that track because the genre gets in the way. Maybe I'm just dumb and emotionally stunted and not empathetic enough

The thought of line dancing and letting out the occasional yee haw fills me with total dread.

Made me chuckle but also bought back memories of being dragged to Folkestone Hotel as a kid every Summer holiday with my Nan and Grandad and watching country acts and rows of oldies getting up to line dance. Horrific scenes.

The thought of line dancing and letting out the occasional yee haw fills me with total dread.
I was in Dallas and Fort Worth on business some years ago, around the time of 'achy breaky heart' and to see these huge cowboys 6' 3" plus all lined up in a bar, one thumb hooked into their Levi's and the other hand grasping a can of lager whilst they line danced in unison was fucking hilarious. Yee Haws aplenty :-)

It's the small town, drive to a lake, I've got an old car I'm gonna drive away etc. it feels like a genre convention rather than an actual feeling he's has.

I live in Manchester and I don't think Sale Water Park counts as a lake. I have more opportunities than just pumping gas. I do have a brother who is ostensibly more successful than me but I celebrate his success rather than be jealous of it.

I think I explained it poorly in my review but it's the genre that makes it unrelatable to me - it's so specific to a time, a place, a feeling that l can't connect (similar to rap as mentioned in my review). Country is too much about country

I can get feeling unfulfilled, the fear of the new etc but I don't hear that when I hear that track because the genre gets in the way. Maybe I'm just dumb and emotionally stunted and not empathetic enough

Interestingly I am the opposite side of that coin.

As in the net result is the same. But I don't mind genre convention, I can music that has it. I don't need to striclty relate to topics or events either, lots of stuff I hear in others might never apply to me.

But the genre does indeed get in the way, purely from a musical point and as an experience of its style.

I’ll probably never nominate any album that has a country influence again after the reception to this week’s choice.
I was saving this line for my review, but I will point out that his #7 wife's country album here went down pretty darn good with a 6.79 average and in the top 50.

While I still listen to this week's selection, I will confidently say I liked that one MUCH better.

Last edited:
Gave this its 3rd listen again in the car on the way into work again last night and like many I am just not getting on with this. A bit odd considering I do own CR. So I then stuck CR on to see if I could pin it down. My thoughts being that its so much more up beat and developed. Not as plodding and formulaic.
The title track and next couple on Guitar Town are not too bad, but then I did keep on seeing the country bar room, a 3 or 4 people line dancing to the band and some "god ole boys" drinking at the bar with their John Deere caps on.
It was when it got to "Little Rock n Roller" that decided that this one isn't one I will revisit.
Steel guitar not a huge thing for me but disappointed that there was no cow bell this week.
Will see if this sounds any better on my way home in the next hour or so.

Guitar Town – Steve Earle

@
threespires has expressed surprise that the nominated album isn’t Copperhead Road, and @OB1 has said that he had this down as a possible (as did I). That should tell you what a big deal Steve Earle is to some on this thread, and Copperhead Road is so good that it even made number 412 in Colin Larkin’s list.

But instead, we are listening to Earle’s first album, Guitar Town, which is fine by me. Introduced to his music in 1988 by my girlfriend at the time, I bought this album and the follow-up, Exit 0 early in the year, bought Copperhead Road when it came out and then got to see him in concert at The International later in the same year. So musically, 1988 was the year of Steve Earle for me.

What I am concerned about with this pick is that people will listen and just hear typical country music. The production is a bit thinner than what would come later but the way Steve Earle sings, the quality of his songs shine through. So, I see this as a useful marker of where he started – the whole point of the New Country genre was to leave the glitzy pop polish and sequined outfits behind, and on this album, he certainly does that.

Let’s start with the best songs. The album kicks off with “Guitar Town”, a chipper little number about a guy in a band, and “Someday” is a song about a young guy working a dead-end gas station job and wanting to leave town and is, as AllMusic states, the best Springsteen song that the Boss didn’t write.

“Good Ol’ Boy” sees the protagonist battling 80s Reaganomics, with lyrics like "I got a job but it ain't nearly enough" and "I was born in the land of plenty now there ain't enough", Steve Earle manages to match his powerful lyrics with a muscular band sound.

Elsewhere, as Mancitydoogle says, "Little Rock 'n' Roller" takes on extra poignancy with the recent death of Earle’s son, Justin. When he sings “I know there's an angel just for rock 'n' rollers watchin' over you and your daddy tonight", it turns out to be true for the father who survived prison and a heroin/cocaine addiction, but sadly not for his son.

"My Old Friend the Blues" is a nicely played song that was later covered by The Proclaimers. I’ve always enjoyed the upbeat "Goodbye's All We've Got Left" and "Hillbilly Highway" but from memory, the album tailed off after “Someday”. However, listening again this morning, it’s apparent how good songs like “Fearless Heart” and “Down The Road” are, and only “Think It Over” sounds like some old country pastiche.

I understand why @Mancitydoogle picked this album; it was the one that got him into country music and of course it was Earle’s major label debut. But the fact is that good as this album is, it didn’t represent where he eventually took the music and, in my opinion, his best albums are Copperhead Road, The Hard Way and I Feel Alright. On these albums, the guitars truly buzz and are frequently joined by mandolins and other eclectic instruments. There are some fantastic songs on his first two albums, but later on his band’s playing, the production and the arrangements lifted him to another level. 8/10
Like you have lived Steve Earle for a long time. Copperhead Rd is a classic and The Hard Way great too but he’s also evolved as a musician and enjoyed quite a bit of his later stuff (although not overboard on the blue grass foray). Transcendental blues is a bit overlooked in my view but given ongoing bloodshed in Palestine Jerusalem has always been poignant and fabulous.
Guitar Town for me is just a great intro into Earle and the Dukes who I’ve seen 3 times in the UK most notably in Wolverhampton the same night that Lakey got that injury home to Villa and having missed the ludicrously early last train back to Birmingham as m, had to sleep half sat, half stood in a tiny newspaper kiosk with the shutters closed.
Gave a couple of elderly ladies the shock of their lives when I opened the shutters and said “morning”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.