The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Gave this its 3rd listen again in the car on the way into work again last night and like many I am just not getting on with this. A bit odd considering I do own CR. So I then stuck CR on to see if I could pin it down. My thoughts being that its so much more up beat and developed. Not as plodding and formulaic.
The title track and next couple on Guitar Town are not too bad, but then I did keep on seeing the country bar room, a 3 or 4 people line dancing to the band and some "god ole boys" drinking at the bar with their John Deere caps on.
It was when it got to "Little Rock n Roller" that decided that this one isn't one I will revisit.
Steel guitar not a huge thing for me but disappointed that there was no cow bell this week.
Will see if this sounds any better on my way home in the next hour or so.
1000011777.jpg

Strangely enough, I didn't recognize the voice talking in the interview above after hearing this album, as I hadn't heard Steve Earl talk before.

Then this video queued up afterwards from the time period that Guitar Town was made, and I did recognize his vocal sound then. One thing I'll say, as much as I thought his appearance of course has changed over the years, but the lessening of his southern accent apparently has even more. Just an observation from someone not familiar with his sound much prior.

Last edited:
Guitar Town – Steve Earle

For full disclosure, despite my affection for Springsteen, Mellencamp, DBTs, Jason Isbell, and Americana in general, I have not listened to much Steve Earle at all. I heard "Copperhead Road" off his 3rd album back in '88, but it wasn't enough to move me to listen to more or get the album in general. It was just a tune of his I knew off of college FM radio. I appreciate @Mancitydoogle for nominating this artist and album for a full listen.

What I liked in the two opening tracks was the organ and keys sound, which gave me some good E Street Band similarities which I liked. My favourite song was probably “Goodbye’s All We’ve Got Left”, and the lyrics and vocals were well done. I felt both of those tracks reminded me of tracks off The River. The opening line from “Guitar Town” keeps reminding me of Bruce’s opening line from “I’m On Fire”, and I have yet to shake it each time I queued it up.

“Hillbilly Highway” was a nice homage to his granddaddy and daddy which then delved into his autobiographical story of dropping out of school and going on the road to play music. This song was better written and sung, and the music was a good match for the story being told.

“Good Ol’ Boy (Gettin’ Tough)” musically reminded me of a Mellencamp song in places. This song’s lyrics about the cycle of poverty in the mid-80’s probably wasn’t on the shortlist to be played at many a political convention. Of the first four songs, I liked the first two more with the organ and less of the country twang.

“My Old Friend The Blues” was a nice slowdown of a song with a welcome return of the guitar and keys. “Someday” was another nice tune with the piano and keys, another song that reminded me lyrically and musically of Springsteen.

“Think It Over” took me back to a 1950’s Buddy Holly sound for nostalgia, and “Fearless Heart” had some interesting early perspectives on ‘falling in love’ and relationships and staying strong through the scary part. A bit too close to (future) home(s)?

“Little Rock ‘N’ Roller” was a nice bedtime tune to his son (Justin Townes Earle was 4 at the time) from the road, and they keys again were the best part of this song.

“Down The Road” was a nice ending with the acapella sections and mandolin driving this final song. It had a good feeling musically of going where it describes in the title, though the potholes would be out there. As Bob Seger once sang, “wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then.”

It’s not hard to see how this album made it to #1 on the US Country charts. It was well written and ticked all those boxes musically. Still, I'm not particularly a fan of country music as a whole, and there were a few tracks that reminded me of that and why. However, there were parts of this too that I did like as noted that seemed like close cousins (but not siblings) of the artists and albums I do like. For the starting point of Earle’s career factored in, this overall is a 6/10 for me.

Last edited:
So another couple of listens in the car to and from work. An enjoyable introduction to the earlier work of Mr Earle that made me appreciate how he had evolved.
Guitar Town was not a bad opener but that "twangy" guitar came a bit too much to the fore here and a couple of others, although I did like the background organs on a couple of the tracks.
As @Black&White&BlueMoon Town mentioned you could see him mining the same vein as Mellencamp with bits of Hillbilly Highway & Good Ol' Boys.
Pleasant enough selection but I did find myself almost wanting abit of a shock and almost felt drawn to sticking Idles on to give me some energy.
Its only a 6 from the Derry jury this time.

Interested to see what we get next. I shall probably be sleeping at the time of the clues so I shall get in early and reckon @threespires will go for Ed Sheerin X

It's the small town, drive to a lake, I've got an old car I'm gonna drive away etc. it feels like a genre convention rather than an actual feeling he's has.

I live in Manchester and I don't think Sale Water Park counts as a lake. I have more opportunities than just pumping gas. I do have a brother who is ostensibly more successful than me but I celebrate his success rather than be jealous of it.

I think I explained it poorly in my review but it's the genre that makes it unrelatable to me - it's so specific to a time, a place, a feeling that l can't connect (similar to rap as mentioned in my review). Country is too much about country

I can get feeling unfulfilled, the fear of the new etc but I don't hear that when I hear that track because the genre gets in the way. Maybe I'm just dumb and emotionally stunted and not empathetic enough

I get that. I've sometimes thought that there's an element of listen to a genre enough and you stop hearing the genre, if that makes sense? The trouble with that is, what you first encounter may determine if you ever make it to that point anyway.

But right now I can hear @Coatigan thinking but I've listened to loads of country on this thread and it's still crap.

May need to rethink my clues for later as it's looking like Merle Haggard might not cut it. Good job I've got a Sheeran album as back up.

I've given it the three listens but as I've said before, this is very much in the traditional country style and as such is very formulaic. Guitars twang, Mr Earle moans about his lot and the whole thing tumbleweeds itself into mediocrity.
It's got lonely man at bar, sipping from a bud lite, whilst the slightly interested barmaid asks 'what's up hun' hoping to get a cut down version of his life story and a lift home later.
This record is so steeped in its own history that it could be from any previous decade. There's no invention. No get up and go. Just plodding along country music. Generic.

My trouble is I like a pick up truck. I've owned a Dodge Ram. I like a rimmed hat. In my head I like to tip it and say 'little lady' at passers-by. I like a few country based acts. I like a well crafted sob story told through the voice of the protagonist.

But this album is just dull. It's standard, plod along country and will be scored as such.

3/10

Steve Earle - Guitar Town

Bit surprised at some of the negative comments on this one, especially when JJ Cale still sits top of the leaderboard? sure there's more of a country sound but is it really that much different?

Anyhow, this Album starts with a strong opener, the biggest hit 'Guitar Town' which is a great country rock track and one i didn't tire of hearing.

'Fearless Heart' one of my favorites on here, just a nice country pace with a lovely twangy solo, also again for the outro.

'Someday' is a good country rocky song.

'Think It Over' is pure Buddy Holly, is it actually not a cover?

I found the slower songs the weakest albeit the poignancy for 'Little Rock 'N' Roller' , also a couple others are nice but didn't really go anywhere.

Steve Earle the country version of Springsteen seems apt, helped by the live cover at the end of 'State Trooper'

I've never once heard him on Radio over here in the UK and i listen to various stations all the time, so would seem over here he is underappreciated.

There is a slight disconnection i have with real country Music, often so American and feel unless you're from around the hometown of the artist you're not invited up to line dance and party! but there's enough rock, blues and pop in the mix for this one that i could get onboard with. It's consistent and a nicely written country debut which was the start of a long successful journey. maybe a bit too nice overall but still.

Listened to 'Copperhead Road' the single, massive hit which had more a rock twang and faster beat- be interested to hear his other future stuff if picked again.

6/10

Last edited:
Bit surprised at some of the negative comments on this one, especially when JJ Cale still sits top of the leaderboard? sure there's more of a country sound but is it really that much different?
that did pass my mind but the two are very different to me. To me JJ Cale has better voice and songs and the instrumentation is far more interesting. This never grew on me at all, in fact the reverse. I start every album I have never heard before at 5. If I like it the needle goes to the right, If I don't like it, to the left. I haven't listened to Steve Earle before and I probably won't delve any further to his back catalogue irrespective of how unrepresentative this album is to his later work.

I will give it a 4. as I didn't like it but neither did I hate it.

The reasons I chose this album was twofold.One because it’s personal to me and secondly because I wanted to nominate a country album.I was actually going to go for something even more country!
Although I knew there were a few SE fans on this thread I was really interested in the response from the country haters especially Bimbo and Coats.It would have been much easier to nominate CR if I was looking for a higher score although I don’t see CR as a full country album.
However those new to SE didbt appear to be that enamoured with that either.
The irony is when this album was first released there was a backlash from mainstream Nashville as this was considered too rocky, after all nobody’s dog died,it’s not an easier album to line dance to, not that I do! and at the time SE didn’t wear hats.

Anways thanks for listening Y’all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.