The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Portishead - Dummy

Good people of Blue Moon, I give you Portishead, possibly the world’s most genuinely reluctant (and therefore probably coolest) popstars. I’m going down the BH classics route here as I’m sure a fair few on this thread own this album which came out of nowhere but sold in huge numbers.

I think I’ve said before that the 90s were a funny decade for me, musically and otherwise. Long story short, I lost both my parents in relatively quick succession and found, with the first person I’d ever properly fallen in love with, that you can’t “save” someone who doesn’t want to be saved and that at some point you might need to make a decision as to whether you save yourself or go down with the ship. I’d have much preferred if it was a case of “one day she cut her hair, and I stopped loving her” but sadly grown-up life didn’t turn out to be quite that simple.

Outwardly things were going well, I was doing well at work and materially I was the model of an upwardly mobile young man!! But emotionally I was more than a bit all over the shop and at some point, I started shutting down. My musical response to all this was frankly a bit odd. I sort of hid myself away and started buying all sorts of genres of music I had hitherto little or no knowledge of. I would sit there alone late at night listening to Giant Steps, or some Steve Reich or Clifton Chenier (you don’t sit at home listening to old school zydeco on your own in the dark if things are going well) or learning a Verdi libretto or listening to Faure’s Requiem. I was spending hours, in fact days, of my life comparing Roger Norrington’s historically informed performances to recognised classic recordings to decide which I preferred. To what end? f**k knows. Arguably I was having a mental health crisis, but it just chose to manifest itself in the form of music; maybe that was what kept the wheels on the wagon for everything else?

So, I had my music from the 80s and a burgeoning collection of random music but virtually nothing contemporary from the 90’s as they were unfolding. I can count on the fingers of one hand the 90’s bands whose music I bought at the time (and I’ll probably nominate another of those next time out).

However, at the start of the decade before things went a bit weird, I’d bought Blue Lines and loved it but found I could only listen to it so much before I decided that it was still missing something for me. Nonetheless, it had probably preconditioned me for something like Dummy to come along. I didn’t buy it immediately, my dad had just died prior to its release and so I didn’t really take any notice at the time, but eventually I thought I need to find out what the fuss was all about. I can’t remember exactly when I bought it but I’m glad it wasn’t when it was being raved about because I would probably have overplayed it and then discarded it – whereas this way it actually just got played more and more over time as a realised how brilliant it was. It didn’t quite break the cycle of buying insane amounts of music and going down genre rabbit holes, but it grounded me a little bit more in the land of the contemporary and the living.

The trip-hop tag seemed a bit inadequate. Hip hop, bluesy, jazzy, electronica; it’s one thing to drag in a load of styles; but to them make it sound like its own coherent new thing is more than a little impressive. To me Portishead are virtually their own genre. I love this album for loads of reasons, but here’s just four of them:
  • The combination of richness and restraint
  • The contradictory nature of much of it
  • The care taken over it and the quality of the sounds
  • Beth Gibbons
I could use loads of adjectives to describe it: rich and sparse at the same time; effortlessly cool but exuding warmth; it shimmers but at the same time manages to pulse and throb; full of samples (and btw anyone sampling Isaac Hayes and Weather Report is worthy of your attention) and technology but unmistakably human; hard as nails but achingly fragile; sinister but comforting. It’s full of contradictions and always keeps you on your feet. Just when you think you know where a track is going it does the opposite of what you might expect.

I like an interesting bit of production but I’m not keen on over production – however this is one of the most produced records you could find – but it’s the exception that proves the rule. The level of care taken borders on obsession. There’s loads online about the detail of what they did for those who are interested; suffice to say it feels like everything has been crafted deliberately and with the utmost consideration. It does this from the off with the subtle changes to the drum pattern as Mysterons progresses, you know this album will reward paying close attention.

For all the technology involved it’s worth noting this is not a digital recording and moreover there’s tonnes of texture and tone delivered by ‘proper’ instruments none greater than the keyboards. I will never get bored of listening to the treatment of the Rhodes piano at the start of Roads. But it’s not just the Rhodes, there’s Vox and Hammond organs scattered around at various points, rarely in your face but they are there. Then there’s the smattering of guitars, Adrian Utley is a talented musician but one who shows absolute restraint until the last track and even then, it’s more about the soundscape he creates. There are various moments throughout the album where you think they might let rip and then they just dial it back. At first, I found it mildly frustrating then I found it remarkable.

99 times out of 100 I would lose my shit about the amount of post processing Beth Gibbons voice has gone through on some of the tracks; however, it’s not there to mask inadequacies but simply to get the sound they want. If anything, it highlights the occasional limitation, but it creates a film noir intimacy that she’s singing gangsters secrets into your ear in a dingy nightclub. Is she the kind of girl who’ll sell you out in the final reel as she simply shrugs about your naivety, or is she the tragic heroine who’ll sacrifice herself so you can escape? What was it she was trying to tell you anyway?

Gibbons’s voice epitomises the contrasts of the album as a whole – ethereal head voice and warmer chest voice, at the risk of sounding like a Cointreau ad, it’s ice and fire. She’s an intelligent singer in that she thinks about how she’s delivering the sounds, letting the vocal melody and chord changes determine some unusual phrasing. Waif like, wafer thin at times – she says she’s not much of a singer but then it turned out that she could replicate this sound live so what does that say about her skills?

When she sings the refrain in Roads, which in many ways is the centrepiece of this album, it’s simultaneously the most broken and defiant sounding voice in the world. Maybe that’s where I was and that’s why I love this.

So back to where I started this review, was this album therapy? Possibly. Even now I sometimes find myself curling up in a foetal position when I listen to parts of it! Life is complicated, life can be dark, it can be fragile, it can sometimes drag you to the edge; but life is beautiful, full of unexpected twists and turns and life is precious.

But to label it as some form of personal therapy is to sell it incredibly short. I eventually caught up a bit with 90’s music but found I’d already been spoilt. For me, you can stick your Britpop up your arse, this is the greatest British band of the 90’s (NO and DM being products of the 80s) – recognised across Europe but prophets in their own land and all that. This album came out at a time when I was discovering the likes of Ellington and Coltrane, Puccini and Verdi, it held its own with them in a way that to be honest most of their contemporary's releases never could, and for me it still holds its own today.

For those unfamiliar, play on the best equipment you can access either at night or as the light fades. For those familiar, please feel free to fill in the many gaps I’ve left about this fascinating album and band.

The last few rounds I have been skipping write-ups, and coming back to them after listening to the album.

I read this one because I know the album, what a great write-up, and that second paragraph like something out of a frightened rabbit song. From your loose previous comments on Puzzle, I had for some reason assumed your mother had passed away around that time, sorrynto hear it happened at a much younger age. Anyway, be good to revisit this one, don't think I have listened to it in 15-20 odd years.

PS, you should definitely watch Rip It Up.

Portishead - Dummy

Good people of Blue Moon, I give you Portishead, possibly the world’s most genuinely reluctant (and therefore probably coolest) popstars. I’m going down the BH classics route here as I’m sure a fair few on this thread own this album which came out of nowhere but sold in huge numbers.

For those unfamiliar, play on the best equipment you can access either at night or as the light fades.
Amazing write-up, mate. I'll at least be one blank canvas for this one.

I have *heard of* the band before, but don't think I've ever heard them or given them a proper listen like I will this week.

As others have said, great write-up. Glad it helped you through what sounded like a rough time and hopefully it can work its magic on some of us now.

Ah but reviews can be misleading! As MrB has already alluded to, I fully expect people to listen and think "he found comfort in that??"

Gibbons is on record as saying that one of the things she dislikes is that you try to communicate to break the isolation but it becomes a product instead of a communication and it makes you feel even more alone than when you tried to communicate in the first place! Like @journaloud I'd recommend her recent solo album but she really is no one's idea of a happy cheerleading aunty!

That said, if I bumped into her in a bar I'd simply say to her whatever you thought you communicated, I heard what I heard.

On second thoughts, I’m suspicious. I think he’s used AI to come up with that, in a brazen attempt to blag extra points

Funnily enough when I edited down my ramble, I removed a point which went something like ''this album is testimony to the fact that AI is light years away from being able to create truly human art" the choices and the idiosyncratcies that nonetheless make perfect sense on this album are never getting made by the current levels of AI. Portishead are proof we're not redundant yet!!

I do worry when I wax lyrical about something, it's setting folks up for a disappointment but I'm one of life's enthusiasts so I can't really help it!

Great review man. I have a slightly different approach as this album leaves me terrified at times. Your comments about production are spot on. It feels exquisitely and nerdily produced but also loose and jammy at the same time to me. I have thoughts about the snare sound on Numb - it feels deliberate but why would you deliberately make it sound like that? Never less it's perfect in that song.

Roads is one of my favourite songs ever - it's so ridiculously confidently fragile. Getting excited whilst I should be cooking spaghetti!

There's loads of moments when you think 'hang on, why have they done that?' only to then think 'because it just works'. Exquisite is a great word to use, their judgement is spot, they tread a fine and never over do it. The tremelo effect on the keyboards at the start of Roads is a great example, they lean into it but I can think of loads of bands who would them start doing stupid things with each channel. They don't, they just let it sit there.

Heard the singles before but don't own this one.

For last week we were in a rough sawn wood lined bar with sawdust on the floor, Steers horns on the wall and guys hunched over beers at the bar as the band plod away. Plaid shirts, Budweiser, yee haws and a couple of line dancers.....

This week we have dimmed lights in polished dark wood lined rooms, crisp dry martinis on the table as a single spot light shows immaculately clad lady enchanting the crowd...this is cool.

First listen on way in to work tonight and it is a wonderful choice...and as others have said a wonderful write up @threespires
I like an interesting bit of production but I’m not keen on over production – however this is one of the most produced records you could find – but it’s the exception that proves the rule. The level of care taken borders on obsession. There’s loads online about the detail of what they did for those who are interested; suffice to say it feels like everything has been crafted deliberately and with the utmost consideration.
Its funny as thats one of the things I first picked up on on my first listen. all the little tweaks and details in there. The crackles on some of the samples. Immediately made me think back to something in The Beastie Boys biography where, I think on Hello Nasty they created so many of their own "samples" and added in background sounds.

I'm thinking that this will do well this week.

Last edited:
Heard the singles before but don't own this one.

For last week we were in a rough sawn wood lined bar with sawdust on the floor, Steers horns on the wall and guys hunched over beers at the bar as the band plod away. Plaid shirts, Budweiser, yee haws and a couple of line dancers.....

This week we have dimmed lights in polished dark wood lined rooms, crisp dry martinis on the table as a single spot light shows immaculately clad lady enchanting the crowd...this is cool.

First listen on way in to work tonight and it is a wonderful choice...and as others have said a wonderful write up @threespires

Its funny as thats one of the things I first picked up on on my first listen. all the little tweaks and details in there. The crackles on some of the samples. Immediately made me think back to something in The Beastie Boys biography where, I think on Hello Nasty they created so many of their own "samples" and added in background sounds.

I'm thinking that this will do well this week.

Seemingly they did things like record live drum breaks onto vinyl then kicked said piece of vinyl around the studio floor to 'age' it then slap it on a turntable and repeatedly scratch a specific section or sound until it was dulled enough and only then did they sample it to continue the compositional process. It sounds unlike anything else because I'm not sure anyone else was mad enough to go to the trouble they did.
At one level its hardly surprising their output is as sparse as it is.

There's a few articles on the likes of Reverb etc about how they created the sounds if you're into that kind of thing.

Last edited:
The last few rounds I have been skipping write-ups, and coming back to them after listening to the album.

I read this one because I know the album, what a great write-up, and that second paragraph like something out of a frightened rabbit song. From your loose previous comments on Puzzle, I had for some reason assumed your mother had passed away around that time, sorrynto hear it happened at a much younger age. Anyway, be good to revisit this one, don't think I have listened to it in 15-20 odd years.

PS, you should definitely watch Rip It Up.

I was going to respond to your original mention of Rip It Up that it sounded good and I would be watching it, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not sure what to make of bits of my life resembling a FR song! but I supose ultimately everyone's does at some point and in some way as I get the impression that SH wrote pretty universal themes albeit ones we don't always choose to face into. I really must get on top of their back catalogue at some point.

I added in the context partly to explain what this album 'meant' to me but more so to highlight in hindsight the fact that at a point when I was dabbling with lots of 'the greats' of musical history this album came along and didn't seem remotely out of place in their company. Some of the music I listened to in that period absolutely hasn't carried through to later life, but I still listen to Roads with the same sense of awe/wonder as when i listen to Faure's In Paradisum or someone using Coltrane changes in a cool improvisation. To me, it's that good. But I look forward to the 'bag of twiddly knobbed shite' comments too! :-)

This album is every bit as groundbreaking as the last two. Not that I know a lot about trip-hop. The only other album I know that falls into the same category is Screamadelica, I imagine they came out around the same sort of time.

I play Dummy quite a lot and have always sort of let it wash over me. A more critical ear this week.

I’ve never heard their second and their third only once. Will also need to investigate whether they peaked early

A few days ago I excitedly baggsied 1997 as the best year for music ever. This was solely based on the release that year of Radiohead's OK Computer and Dummy by Portishead. With these two releases it was quite obviously the best year for music. Turns out I'm the dummy though and this album was released in 1994.

The biggest song of 1994 was Love is All Around by Wet Wet Wet. The 12th best selling single was Come On You Reds by a bunch of singing turds. Dummy was even out sold by Crocodile Shoes. So I'm left asking the question - how did this miracle happen? Opening track Mysterons hints at the answer. Aliens.

Fun fact - that's not a real theremin playing during this song.

I won't do a song by song review. If you were going to criticise Dummy you'd maybe start by saying there isn't a lot of variety. Every song is gloomy and dark but once your eyes adjust you'll hear a lot of grey.

In my review of Guitar Town I claimed that country as a genre was too much about a time and a place and specific emotions and values that made me feel like an outsider and therefore disconnected from the music. Dummy does the complete opposite - im an outsider because Dummy is isolating and alienating.

For me the perfect environment for listening to this is lying on the floor of a squat. Windows are smashed and the walls are wet with damp. Around you are addicts staring into space and through the floor you hear this album playing in a room below just at the edge of hearing. At some point a baby will cry.

I played this album repeatedly whilst playing Alien on the Amiga. The paranoid, dark, tense but sparse nature of the music made it perfect company. I hear Dummy I think of Alien. It's probably not suited to that cinematic universe - it's cool and confident like a spy or heist movie but it's also dark and lonely so maybe it fits.

A few years later I'm working for a solicitors in Old Trafford. One of our clients had been accused of travelling to Bristol, home town of Portishead, and shooting up a cafe injuring a bouncer. A bouncer in a cafe! Bristol must be dangerous.

Put this altogether and Dummy sounds like squalor, isolation and murder. At least to me anyway.

It's brilliantly made, expertly played and hauntingly sang. Sometimes the vocal sounds like is being recorded over the telephone. Sometimes the snare rings way in unexpected ways. The strings sound like a piece of twine stretched across a cardboard box. It never quite does what you expect it to do. It's sparse and empty which means you can slap an electric guitar on like in Glory Box and it has the space to be big and confident. It has no right to exist like this and be so assured in the same year that the second biggest selling single of 1994 is Saturday Night by Whigfield. It's a wonder of the modern world but before you dismiss this is hyperbole stop for a moment and consider Roads.

Some songs demand to be played loud. Roads demands silence. Play it at the lowest possible volume. It's fragile and nervous - the electric piano trembles and leaves you suspended for far to long. The snare is skittish and the vocal sounds intimate but far away. As the guitar wah's and strings swell you suddenly realise that crying baby is you.

9 out of 10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.