The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Happens most weeks.
Folk that love and know the nomination put in their high score straight away.
The lower scores always come later on
Yes, that is the pattern most weeks. I think there was one week where it was inverted but I can't for the life of me remember what the album was.

Is anymore allowed to suggest an album, or have I missed the boat? Not sure how this thread works.
You've certainly not missed the boat because all are welcome on here.

We have a list of nominators that we work our way down - you can see the current list on page #1 that runs until early October for the current round. I'm happy to add you if you'd like to join in.

All we ask is that people who are nominating get involved in the weekly discussion/reviewing. There are no hard and fast rules, and many people miss weeks, but participation is appreciated if you are going to nominate.

Dummy - Portishead

I'm sorry, but this is one album where I simply cannot disassociate the original write-up from what I'm listening to for the first time. I have no actual reference, I have no association, to what I've read prior to listening to this album. When this album was released, 32 years and 2 days to the day - I had just celebrated 3 years of marriage and 3 months of moving into our first and only home where we started and raised our family.

I can't say I've lived through the same pain and grief that threespires describes here. I lost my Mom 3 years ago, and it hurt like hell, but at least I had my spouse there with me to help me through that time. But what if I didn't have that rock during that time? How would that have gone for me if other things were falling apart? Honestly, I can't even think of that. I think about what that period would have been like without her support, and going though such relationship challenges, and I come back to this song "Roads":

"I got nobody on my side
And surely that ain't right

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way
Regardless of what they say"

This song alone brought me to tears. It wasn't about anything going on with me, it was about one of our own was likely feeling in hearing this and going through the crap back then feeling alone.

Do I like the tunes? Yes, "Glory Box" is a fantastic closer just as "Mysterons" starts the album off with its eerie sound. Two strong bookends there.

Do I fully understand this album yet? No, and I'm not sure I fully will, but I certainly plan to listen to it again, and if I ever really need it (and I hope I don't), I know something like this is out for me. "Sour Times" and "Numb" that would be, indeed. It's an 8/10 for me. Oh, and the vocals here are strong as hell. *

* this review was not brought to you by the letter "R", because that wouldn't be fair or accurate to either artist

What an interesting and 'kind' review, if that's the right word. Thanks.

Can't believe in amongst all the negative or downbeat reviews that even Roads isn't getting much more love and attention. This makes my doubt people are listening properly ;)
Or by the time Roads has popped along they have had enough of the quirky musical battering? I've just listened to Roads in isolation, it's OK, but once again didn't light my fire.

I think the less is more rule applies here. Several people have mentioned it, me included, but what's with all of the little sounds and record scratches in between the music? And when did somebody, somewhere, decide that this enhanced music rather than detract from it? That's a question that needs answering in the wider context.

That said, there is a record scratch sound on the next album I plan to nominate, but it is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it affair.

I’d just as soon watch a show like “The Voice” as rub a cheese grater across my arm. But if there were a Battle of the Bands show in genres I like, I’d probably like it.

There's no need to fear these things, they are not music and they have no power. I can scientifically prove this...

Me and Mrs Spires once took my brother to the 'X-Factor Live Tour', at the MEN as was (I've done far worse... I've taken him to the swamp). Our eldest child was in the womb at this time and as I was clearly unable to fit him with ear defenders I had nightmares that this would cause untold harm and at some point I would catch him listening to jedward and would have to ask him to live the house before he'd even finished primary school. Fast forward a few years and the only thing I have to worry about is he nicks my soldering iron for his pedal mods and haven't seen my bass for weeks. But we can sit in a cafe and discuss JD, NO, DM in depth and who in times like these would be the best band to release a contemporary cover of Facist Groove Thang (we are veering towards Yard Act).

This has actually done better than I thought. Some of the posters who I thought wouldn't like it found some positives in it and scored accordingly. It still remains to be seen if there's an album that can break into the Champions League spots

I agree, I don't think it has been that negative or a downer on it. It is a different type of album, and most recognise that. I also don't think it is unfair pointing out it focuses on 'ambiance' over conventional song formats, that's not necessarily a criticism.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.