The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I agree, I don't think it has been that negative or a downer on it. It is a different type of album, and most recognise that. I also don't think it is unfair pointing out it focuses on 'ambiance' over conventional song formats, that's not necessarily a criticism.

Of all the albums I've nominated this is the one I've had least interest in the scores but it has been fascinating to hear the different views of it. The one area where maybe I find it different from many by the sounds of it, is the degree to which it draws me in attention wise. After your very interesting point about the length of the tracks I had a go at listening with a view to mentally editing some of them down and you could definitely do it but I think I'm too far down the rabbit hole with it to want to.

I think the less is more rule applies here. Several people have mentioned it, me included, but what's with all of the little sounds and record scratches in between the music? And when did somebody, somewhere, decide that this enhanced music rather than detract from it? That's a question that needs answering in the wider context.

That said, there is a record scratch sound on the next album I plan to nominate, but it is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it affair.
Kin hell Rob, where've you been for the last 60 years?

Of all the albums I've nominated this is the one I've had least interest in the scores but it has been fascinating to hear the different views of it. The one area where maybe I find it different from many by the sounds of it, is the degree to which it draws me in attention wise. After your very interesting point about the length of the tracks I had a go at listening with a view to mentally editing some of them down and you could definitely do it but I think I'm too far down the rabbit hole with it to want to.

I found this to be one of the least polarising to read, in terms of reviews. Not in the sense people were not polarised by it necessarily, but in that I myself found very little that I 'strongly' disagreed with, or particularly 'strongly' agreed with. Usually, there are comments that I find either really hit home what I feel about something, or go the other way and outright properly get on my tits at times. With this one there was the odd nod along, or the occasional half raised eyebrow. Not sure what, if anything, that says about it. It also had the fewest one liner dismissals, so there is that.

I found this to be one of the least polarising to read, in terms of reviews. Not in the sense people were not polarised by it necessarily, but in that I myself found very little that I 'strongly' disagreed with, or particularly 'strongly' agreed with. Usually, there are comments that I find either really hit home what I feel about something, or go the other way and outright properly get on my tits at times. With this one there was the odd nod along, or the occasional half raised eyebrow. Not sure what, if anything, that says about it. It also had the fewest one liner dismissals, so there is that.

I think we're all adapting to review fairly, score fairly and give a more balanced outlook.

I don't see those things as superfluous or quirky but as Integral and meticulously placed aspects of the overall sound in the same way that an oboe trill or a bit of timpany might embellish a piece of music.

Actually one.thing that didn't happen that I thought might was a bit of a wider discussion of Trip Hop but maybe that was a bit unrealistic.

On the subject of which, there's a really good book about Massive Attack that discuss the history of Bristol and the historical and cultural influences that brought about the sound(s). Might be a bit of a stretch if you have no interest in that kind of musical at all but otherwise a really good read, it was originally published in french I think but there's a UK version called Out of The Comfort Zone. But dry at times but overall a really good read.
I think Portishead transcend the genre in some ways so although I really loved this and a couple of Massive Attack tracks trip hop is something I just can't speak intelligently about - similar to my review last week where I said the genre was alienating. Dummy is purposely alienating though so I guess makes it more accessible ironically. A lot of metalheads seem to like Portishead.

I expressed it poorly in my review but Bristol did genuinely feel like a dangerous town when this came out. Maybe just because of where I worked it felt like some dangerous gang stuff was going on at the time that was feeding into trip hop.

The book sounds interesting so I'll check it out. In my poorly reasoned and inexpert opinion trip hop as a genre blazed too fast and burnt out pretty quick. It's interesting to me how genre born out of danger, poverty etc quickly becomes "establishment" as establishment people adopt the artists for credibility and authenticity thus almost immediately robbing it of it's potency. This seemed to happen to trip hop pretty quickly.

Anyone going to either Wythenshawe Park or Bristol Downs this weekend?

I can't but am consoling myself with glorious weather, doing naff all and vino and pecorino I'd be paying at least four times the price for in the UK.
I timed my annual visit to Bristol this year to catch Love, or rather Baby Lemonade plus Johnny Echols at the Fleece. They may in effect be a tribute band albeit with a closer link to the originals than some but my they were good.

They played Manchester earlier in the summer while I was away.

I timed my annual visit to Bristol this year to catch Love, or rather Baby Lemonade plus Johnny Echols at the Fleece. They may in effect be a tribute band albeit with a closer link to the originals than some but my they were good.

They played Manchester earlier in the summer while I was away.

I travelled to Bristol to see them while Arthur was still alive and playing with the Baby Lemonade lads. Arthur was on form and it was a great gig.

I had ticket's for them with JE in Kings Heath, on this tour, but was ill so missed them, was gutted. I know technically they're a tribute but I think someone mentioned Arthur played longer with them than he did the original Love band!

I travelled to Bristol to see them while Arthur was still alive and playing with the Baby Lemonade lads. Arthur was on form and it was a great gig.

I had ticket's for them with JE in Kings Heath, on this tour, but was ill so missed them, was gutted. I know technically they're a tribute but I think someone mentioned Arthur played longer with them than he did the original Love band!

I think Portishead transcend the genre in some ways so although I really loved this and a couple of Massive Attack tracks trip hop is something I just can't speak intelligently about - similar to my review last week where I said the genre was alienating. Dummy is purposely alienating though so I guess makes it more accessible ironically. A lot of metalheads seem to like Portishead.

I expressed it poorly in my review but Bristol did genuinely feel like a dangerous town when this came out. Maybe just because of where I worked it felt like some dangerous gang stuff was going on at the time that was feeding into trip hop.

The book sounds interesting so I'll check it out. In my poorly reasoned and inexpert opinion trip hop as a genre blazed too fast and burnt out pretty quick. It's interesting to me how genre born out of danger, poverty etc quickly becomes "establishment" as establishment people adopt the artists for credibility and authenticity thus almost immediately robbing it of it's potency. This seemed to happen to trip hop pretty quickly.

Agree with you re PH transcending 'normal' trip hop. I think you're right about the broader scene too, I think it was always quite 'slight' in terms of size and never really had the critical mass or chance to grow sustainability before it was appropriated and absorbed into other stuff. Albeit the likes of Tricky have kept going. Massive Attack or to be specific RDN has tried to maintain that authenticity through activism of various kinds I think.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this weeks "blast from the past", perhaps more so than previous weeks...so thanks for that @threespires .
I also love the fact that we continue to get choices that mean something to people.
Have to head to work in a little while but will post a couple of clues when I get in just past 2pm

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.