The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Normally I'd await something like this with a mixture of excitement but some trepidation too, but I just think this is going to be just fine. It just comes across that those involved are the right people, doing it for the right reasons. One of the streaming platforms, can't be arsed to look which, has Arthur's original of 5 String Serenade as a cover of the Mazzy Star version. Clowns.

What an interesting and 'kind' review, if that's the right word. Thanks.

It was a sincere review of an artist and album I haven't heard. After reading the other reviews here, I think my overall perception most closely lies with @journolud's, which came after mine and does a better job of addressing the songs themselves. The scratches and the style and genre didn't bother me either. This was a mood album, no doubt about it. The vocals had to be strong, and I felt they were to match and compliment the music.

Those same tracks he liked worked for me too.

I’ve been mulling over the good/bad vocals debate from a few pages ago. FWIW, if I’m listening to new music I’m definitely drawn in by the band sound (particularly guitar) but if the vocals kick in and stink the sound out, it could be the best backing band in the world but I’d not listen much further.
I’ve listened to Fog’s half suggestion this week, which I found really decent. Interestingly, I found the level of the vocals on the first couple of tracks from File Under Easy Listening a bit lacking. I did however persevere as it might just be a Spotify issue, as he’s got a great voice and it grows as the album progresses. It’s not an issue at all on Copper Blue.
Back to my original point however, if Mould had had a voice like me, I’d have binned it off

Kin hell Rob, where've you been for the last 60 years?
It was half in jest. As you imply, lots of music from the past 60 years have sound effects but more often than not, they bring nothing and even great records would be better off without them.

Record scratches are particularly annoying, unless used in a comedy context switch, for example.

I think that we are all done here. Portishead continued the recent trend of pulling in a good number of votes and comments with some lively discussion again. Well done to everybody, and thanks to @threespires for a write-up that truly gets what this thread is about. Dummy had 17 votes at an average of 6.79.

Now the decks are cleared for when @LGWIO arrives at his desk .......

Afternoon my Mancunian chums.
Just got to copy n paste clues across

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.