The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Gimme a min for the write up... bloody work getting in way

Nice pick.

There's a 2023 remaster that has a couple of extra tracks that I've not yet listened to so I might go for that version.

(Did the other album thread do Remain In Light or have I imagined that?)

Well . . . it's the greatest concert film ever made.

We did have it on the @BlueHammer85 thread.

Question is always is it the entire film soundtrack stem to stern or is it the abbreviated 8-song original release.

It's also a greatest hits.

So lots of cross-currents.

But regardless will obviously get a high rating from me :)

Question is always is it the entire film soundtrack stem to stern or is it the abbreviated 8-song original release.

Just looked, last year's deluxe remaster
has 18 tracks just to complicate. I assume we'll be commenting on the original album.

Re.GHits there is also the question of what's missing from subsequent albums.

TALKING HEADS – STOP MAKING SENSE (LIVE) (1984)

I can’t recall where I heard my first snippet of this album. It certainly wasn’t anything my parents were into, not my older brother for that matter. I think it must have been something off the radio, but I do recall that first track being “Slippery People”. It was then a trip into Penny Lane Records in Chester to get the 12inch of the single. With no internet back then and pre my real interest or regular purchase of any music press, it was the live “B side” of “This Must Be The Place/Naïve Melody” that gave me a glimpse of what was to be one of my favourite albums of all time….”Stop Making Sense”.

It was a trip back to Penny Lane where I actually bought the VHS of the concert which was great. Back then not everyone had a VHS player (I think at the time we were actually renting ours), which limited the ability to have your mates listen to this new band I had discovered. So it was back again to buy the vinyl……which has subsequently been updated, with the CD and the full concert album at a later date. For me though it’s a case that I actually “saw” this album” before I actually listened to it (in its most recent format}

So which ever version of the album you listen to (not sure what the usual etiquette is for this) I think you will still get the marvel of the album. (Original album tracks are in bold if going simply on that version although not necessarily in the order below)

Starting with, “I just want to play you a tape” and the simplicity of “Psycho Killer”, running into the beauty of “Heaven”…and thinking that Tina Weymouth was pretty fit. Then we start to slowly build the songs (stage), the band, sound, energy and fun, that comes across on the tracks with Chris Frantz joining.

I think that last few weeks on this thread have made me realise the importance of a great rhythm section, whether it be Bruce/Baker, Butler/Ward or Black/Burnell, with Frantz/Weymouth being a pretty good match for those prior pairings.

I wasn’t sure as to whether to put this one up, as it could possibly have been classed as a Greatest Hits album, but with having had Jerry Lee a while back I thought I was OK…otherwise you may have got Gerry/YNWA!

So besides the quality songs I think you get the energy and quality here. David Byrne as a great frontman, Jerry Harrison with his keyboards and guitar and that aforementioned rhythm section. All augmented by Worrell/Weir/Scales & backing singers it reaches its end with the wonderful cover of “Take me to the River”…or “Crosseyed & Painless). An album that goes from simplicity and a little fragility I think in Byrnes voice, to the full on energy, funk and fun.
Whichever one you listen to I think it will bring a smile to your face…..
"Psycho Killer"
“Heaven”
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel”
“Found A Job”
"Slippery People"
"
Burning Down the House"
“Life During Wartime”

“Making Flippy Floppy”
“Swamp”
“What a Day That Was”

“This Must Be The Place”
"Once in a Lifetime"
“Genius Of Love”
"Girlfriend Is Better"
"
Take Me to the River"
“Crosseyed And Painless”

Hopefully, enjoy!

Just looked, last year's deluxe remaster has 18 tracks.
Yes, I never bought nor listened to the original release because it was such a disappointment -- why not release the entire soundtrack? And then eventually they did, and as much as I love TH first five studio records, this one is the one I play the most because it picks from all of them. I thought Little Creatures was awfully overrated though I didn't hate it, and then their last two were not at all good. So SMS catches them right at pinnacle of their career IMO.

"Crosseyed and Painless" is my favo(u)rite of all their songs and their live version is phenomenal.

I was tempted to go for Speaking In Tongues, but it was sentiment that made me go for this as it was the first band that I really got into and one of the few besides New Order, Smiths & Mellencamp that I have every album.

I am minded to go for the deluxe edition as it was Heaven that made the concert for me along with Take me to The River

I was tempted to go for Speaking In Tongues, but it was sentiment that made me go for this as it was the first band that I really got into and one of the few besides New Order, Smiths & Mellencamp that I have every album.

I am minded to go for the deluxe edition as it was Heaven that made the concert for me along with Take me to The River
I adore the opening several songs as the players come on stage one-by-one. It's brilliant.

My favo(u)rite record of theirs is Remain In Light, but Fear of Music is up there too.

And thanks for picking a get-up-and-move record too! I have seen the movie six or seven times in theatres (including opening night -- my college friends and I loved TH) and every time some people got up and danced.

Complete agree - watched it a few months ago. It’s timeless and brilliant!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.