The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

A group that I have only liked a couple of songs.
I can remember not really getting what all the fuss was about.
I'm with you on this, no idea what the fuss was about, still, it's a greatest hits sort of so that can't be all bad...can it?

On another note, it's a live album supposedly, hard to score properly if they are shit in concert.

I'm with you on this, no idea what the fuss was about, still, it's a greatest hits sort of so that can't be all bad...can it?

On another note, it's a live album supposedly, hard to score properly if they are shit in concert.

Some post processing, which they were open about. You really don't need to worry about them being crap live!

TALKING HEADS – STOP MAKING SENSE (LIVE) (1984)

I can’t recall where I heard my first snippet of this album. It certainly wasn’t anything my parents were into, not my older brother for that matter. I think it must have been something off the radio, but I do recall that first track being “Slippery People”. It was then a trip into Penny Lane Records in Chester to get the 12inch of the single. With no internet back then and pre my real interest or regular purchase of any music press, it was the live “B side” of “This Must Be The Place/Naïve Melody” that gave me a glimpse of what was to be one of my favourite albums of all time….”Stop Making Sense”.

It was a trip back to Penny Lane where I actually bought the VHS of the concert which was great. Back then not everyone had a VHS player (I think at the time we were actually renting ours), which limited the ability to have your mates listen to this new band I had discovered. So it was back again to buy the vinyl……which has subsequently been updated, with the CD and the full concert album at a later date. For me though it’s a case that I actually “saw” this album” before I actually listened to it (in its most recent format}

So which ever version of the album you listen to (not sure what the usual etiquette is for this) I think you will still get the marvel of the album. (Original album tracks are in bold if going simply on that version although not necessarily in the order below)

Starting with, “I just want to play you a tape” and the simplicity of “Psycho Killer”, running into the beauty of “Heaven”…and thinking that Tina Weymouth was pretty fit. Then we start to slowly build the songs (stage), the band, sound, energy and fun, that comes across on the tracks with Chris Frantz joining.

I think that last few weeks on this thread have made me realise the importance of a great rhythm section, whether it be Bruce/Baker, Butler/Ward or Black/Burnell, with Frantz/Weymouth being a pretty good match for those prior pairings.

I wasn’t sure as to whether to put this one up, as it could possibly have been classed as a Greatest Hits album, but with having had Jerry Lee a while back I thought I was OK…otherwise you may have got Gerry/YNWA!

So besides the quality songs I think you get the energy and quality here. David Byrne as a great frontman, Jerry Harrison with his keyboards and guitar and that aforementioned rhythm section. All augmented by Worrell/Weir/Scales & backing singers it reaches its end with the wonderful cover of “Take me to the River”…or “Crosseyed & Painless). An album that goes from simplicity and a little fragility I think in Byrnes voice, to the full on energy, funk and fun.
Whichever one you listen to I think it will bring a smile to your face…..
"Psycho Killer"
“Heaven”
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel”
“Found A Job”
"Slippery People"
"
Burning Down the House"
“Life During Wartime”

“Making Flippy Floppy”
“Swamp”
“What a Day That Was”

“This Must Be The Place”
"Once in a Lifetime"
“Genius Of Love”
"Girlfriend Is Better"
"
Take Me to the River"
“Crosseyed And Painless”

Hopefully, enjoy!
That movie is my 80’s encapsulated in 1hr 28mins.
Originally saw it after a recommendation from Barry Norman on Film ‘84.
I knew nothing much about the band tbh at the time, very little really.
Neither did the girl I was seeing at the time. We went on the last night of its original run of a fortnight, in Dublin’s Screen Cinema. ( No longer there).
From the opening shot of Byrne’s feet walking onto stage and him playing along to the boom box beat, Psycho Killer, the only song I really knew by them, we were hooked.
The gradual build up of the stage and the energy being added and the frenzy transferring to the crowd was just mesmerising.

We both came out of the cinema thinking, Wow, what was that.
We then went into Chaplin’s Bar across the road and met our friends and proceeded to try to explain to them what we had just experienced. We were gushing with praise, but the cinema run had ended and there was no way of them experiencing the same……
Until a couple of years after, the Movie took up a regular weekend residency in the Ambassador Cinema at Parnell Square. This was originally a theatre and had a stage in front of the screen.
I was no longer going with the same lady from 1984. I had told my mates so much about this concert so they had to experience it too.
What became a regular weekend pass time for us was going to Conways Pub across the road and tanking up, before heading to the late night show.
We used to get up on stage and go wild with the band, basically acting out each song.
A mate from work, starting coming along. A real nutter. I have great memories of being chased around the cinema by the bouncers, to get us off the stage. It all proving a waste of time and energy for them though, as the rest of the house just got up on stage and followed our lead as we were being chased.
Mad times but innocently happy times too.
I loved this movie.it was the highlight of the weekend for months on end during the mid 80s.
Once you start to play it, especially watching it also, it just gets under your skin. Your feet start to move, primeval instincts of rhythm take hold. They do with me, anyway.
Love it.
9/10.

TALKING HEADS – STOP MAKING SENSE (LIVE) (1984)

I can’t recall where I heard my first snippet of this album. It certainly wasn’t anything my parents were into, not my older brother for that matter. I think it must have been something off the radio, but I do recall that first track being “Slippery People”. It was then a trip into Penny Lane Records in Chester to get the 12inch of the single. With no internet back then and pre my real interest or regular purchase of any music press, it was the live “B side” of “This Must Be The Place/Naïve Melody” that gave me a glimpse of what was to be one of my favourite albums of all time….”Stop Making Sense”.

It was a trip back to Penny Lane where I actually bought the VHS of the concert which was great. Back then not everyone had a VHS player (I think at the time we were actually renting ours), which limited the ability to have your mates listen to this new band I had discovered. So it was back again to buy the vinyl……which has subsequently been updated, with the CD and the full concert album at a later date. For me though it’s a case that I actually “saw” this album” before I actually listened to it (in its most recent format}

So which ever version of the album you listen to (not sure what the usual etiquette is for this) I think you will still get the marvel of the album. (Original album tracks are in bold if going simply on that version although not necessarily in the order below)

Starting with, “I just want to play you a tape” and the simplicity of “Psycho Killer”, running into the beauty of “Heaven”…and thinking that Tina Weymouth was pretty fit. Then we start to slowly build the songs (stage), the band, sound, energy and fun, that comes across on the tracks with Chris Frantz joining.

I think that last few weeks on this thread have made me realise the importance of a great rhythm section, whether it be Bruce/Baker, Butler/Ward or Black/Burnell, with Frantz/Weymouth being a pretty good match for those prior pairings.

I wasn’t sure as to whether to put this one up, as it could possibly have been classed as a Greatest Hits album, but with having had Jerry Lee a while back I thought I was OK…otherwise you may have got Gerry/YNWA!

So besides the quality songs I think you get the energy and quality here. David Byrne as a great frontman, Jerry Harrison with his keyboards and guitar and that aforementioned rhythm section. All augmented by Worrell/Weir/Scales & backing singers it reaches its end with the wonderful cover of “Take me to the River”…or “Crosseyed & Painless). An album that goes from simplicity and a little fragility I think in Byrnes voice, to the full on energy, funk and fun.
Whichever one you listen to I think it will bring a smile to your face…..
"Psycho Killer"
“Heaven”
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel”
“Found A Job”
"Slippery People"
"
Burning Down the House"
“Life During Wartime”

“Making Flippy Floppy”
“Swamp”
“What a Day That Was”

“This Must Be The Place”
"Once in a Lifetime"
“Genius Of Love”
"Girlfriend Is Better"
"
Take Me to the River"
“Crosseyed And Painless”

Hopefully, enjoy!

This was indeed picked in the Top 1100 thread a few years ago, so it's all fresh in the memory for me.

I'll stick with the same review and score!

Wasn't sure how many live albums are in the mix so had to make the clue tough - but the picture is the Hollywood Pantages Theatre where this iconic performance was filmed. I never got around to watching this when I reviewed 'Remain In Light' so I'm glad to have given this a watch and listen all week - It's hard to just focus on the Album because really this concert needs to be seen, it is a amazing watch, visually, the lighting, the energy from David Byrne and of course the massive suit jacket! It is like watching a real musical theatre - from starting off with 'Pyscho Killer' with just Byrne and a beatbox and then gradually more and more performers and musicians join him on stage including Tina Weymouth on base and some cracking background singers, so I definitely recommend grabbing a beer and watching this concert first before listening.
- All the tracks sound as good as the studio versions but there is added energy here and a constant rhythm all the way through - No let up from David Byrne as he performs at such a high level, a true star.
really enjoyed live version of 'What A Day That Was' , stripped back opener 'Pyscho Killer' is just great and also 'Burning Down The House' -hard to find any fault here.

8/10

Indeed I would suggest instead of listening to the record watch the film. The visual accompaniment — especially the beginning several songs — really adds to the context of the music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.