The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Hmmm., indeed.
It’s a concert I’ve watched more than purely listened to, over the years.
The full sound track is good but as Foggy has alluded to, the original album doesn’t do it justice.
On audio you do get the sense of the build but the visuals show you the stage being put together as they get further into the show.
You see the construction of a piece of art, of theatre, not just a gig.
It’s still a really interesting concept, even after all these years.

Well as its my favourite album from my favourite band, it's always gonna be a 10/10 for me.. Unlike @FogBlueInSanFran I prefer this and the later stuff. I think the versions on stop making sense are much better than on the original albums, they were too raw and you could tell they were still learning their trade.

Never seen a live concert anywhere near as good as this. Missed the bloody new release in the cinemas genuinely pissed off about it. Never saw it advertised. Will never get the chance again no doubt.

He's murdering Psycho Killer. Still, that probably proves it's live!
I'm not sure I would agree with you on that, but then I wasn't coloured by having heard the original studio version. So the live raw, almost frail voice is what struck me.
Going on it just builds and builds showing how they all gel together and simply have fun on stage.
It was the energy of the live concert that made me enjoy JLL @ the Star and I think that def comes over here aswell

Jonathan Demme directed this film, then went on to direct Silence of The Lambs, then Philadelphia. Three completely different films. And all really, really good in their own way.

Anyway, onto the music. At it's time it was probably a collection of their finest songs, starting things off with a naked, raw version of Psycho Killer and ending fully clothed with Crosseyed & Painless, still one of my favourite TH songs and a brilliant groove. As others have said, the way the show develops gives the viewer a glimpse into how things work in a theatre, bringing backstage onstage. And it works a treat.

Anybody who loves music and is open to try new sounds give this a listen. Might be close to 40yrs old now but it still rocks.

9.5/10

Ummmm...this is a strange one, the original 'album' was 8 tracks, we're listening to 18!! Basically a concert, not an album then, and it's suggested to 'watch it' rather than listen, and also pretty much a 'best of'. I know and like a couple of the songs, will give it a listen, but won't be scoring, as to me, it's not as the thread is intended ;)

I also have a review from the top 1100 thread from back in October 2021.

Interestingly, this is the album where after reading some of the reviews, Foggy came to the conclusion that some of us like to dance to music and some of us like the listen.

I’d also forgotten the controversy it stirred up when it was mentioned that there were lots of post-production overdubs.

Stop Making Sense (Live) - Talking Heads

Right, listened to it straight away to get it out of the way. I said after Remain in Light that I wouldn't be bothered if I never heard another Talking Heads album and listening to this has only backed up that hunch.

I'll start with some positives - even though this is a live album, the sound is light years ahead of Remain in Light. You can actually feel the spaces in between the instruments, you can hear the guitar strummed and the individual thump of the drums. "Pyscho Killer" is a great start, a good live version of a studio track that I enjoy. In fact the first few songs looked set to prove me wrong, but I didn't have to wait long to be disappointed all over again.

To borrow a line from Foggy's review of Joe Jackson (because it was so damn funny) and adapt it slightly, even though this is a live album, about 3 or 4 tracks in, somebody decided to push the fader marked "quirky keyboards" up to 85. As if that wasn't enough, a giggling schoolboy managed to sneak through the door during the post-production and added a load of weird random beeps and noises (oh, this is so funny, I feel like my sides are about to split). It makes you want to scream FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST PLAY THE DAMN MUSIC!!!!

And did I mention that David Byrne is another "singer" (and I use that in the loosest possible sense) who you can add to the list of annoying vocalists? No? Well he's not the worst but he ain't great either.

6/10 (and only because I made the mistake of giving Remain in Light the same score when it probably should have been 4).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.