The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Ummmm...this is a strange one, the original 'album' was 8 tracks, we're listening to 18!! Basically a concert, not an album then, and it's suggested to 'watch it' rather than listen, and also pretty much a 'best of'. I know and like a couple of the songs, will give it a listen, but won't be scoring, as to me, it's not as the thread is intended ;)
Fully appreciate that and it was something that I pondered about prior to deciding what I would put forward. My rationalisation being that it was live and therefore as valid as JLL.
Whether scoring it or not, main thing is to take a little bit of pleasure from it......
Can I get a hallelujah?

Ummmm...this is a strange one, the original 'album' was 8 tracks, we're listening to 18!! Basically a concert, not an album then, and it's suggested to 'watch it' rather than listen, and also pretty much a 'best of'. I know and like a couple of the songs, will give it a listen, but won't be scoring, as to me, it's not as the thread is intended ;)
Lots of albums get extended versions, an album is just a collection if songs, this is a collection of songs. How hard do we need to make things on here.

It's albums people like but hey ho.

The live show is just stunning. There's 2 or 3 songs on it that take my breath away with how competent they were as a band.
The backing singers are especially good, particularly on what a day that was, they fucking nail it.
His energy is something else, a unique front man, with an unconventional voice, but he manages such consistency throughout the set. I like how he's clearly throwing himself into it, but it's actually perfectly controlled.
I wasn't even a fan as such, but I'm sure this was on another thread a while back, and I remember that while I admired them from afar, I didn't realise how good they were live. I'd mistakenly dismissed them as a studio band.
Apologies, I can't remember who nominated it, or it may have been one of those random picks from that top album list thread we had.
Anyway, as a live show, it's fantastic, and I've watched it several times since then.
Weirdly, I've never listened to them ears only, I've just enjoyed watching the whole spectacle as a complete piece of art.
This is a performance that I find myself going back to time after time, it's that good.

Nearly three years on nothing much has changed. Still listen to this regularly and enjoy it every time. What’s not to like.
“I only dip in and out of this thread, but rather spookily I watched this on TV about 6 weeks ago and have been playing the album on and off for years… most recently yesterday! As many have said this is one of the definitive live albums. It’s a 10/10 for me.”
I’ll still give it another few listens over the next few days, not that I need and excuse

Fair point and BimboBob most likely agrees with you.

Fair point and BimboBob most likely agrees with you.
I can't find the full concert on the tube and I'm not paying money for it but I have seen quite a few of the songs and listened to the audio of the concert.

First impressions are...I have no idea what you lot see in this performance. His voice is fucking awful. No real range. The guitarist is rather good though, as are the backing singers.

Reserving judgement.

I can't find the full concert on the tube and I'm not paying money for it but I have seen quite a few of the songs and listened to the audio of the concert.

First impressions are...I have no idea what you lot see in this performance. His voice is fucking awful. No real range. The guitarist is rather good though, as are the backing singers.

Reserving judgement.
David Byrne is not a singer. He’s a lead vocalist. No argument there.
You’ll either like what he does with a song overall, or you’ll most likely hate it….
Like @RobMCFC ;-)

You've certainly not missed the boat because all are welcome on here.

We have a list of nominators that we work our way down - you can see the current list on page #1 that runs until early October for the current round. I'm happy to add you if you'd like to join in.

All we ask is that people who are nominating get involved in the weekly discussion/reviewing. There are no hard and fast rules, and many people miss weeks, but participation is appreciated if you are going to nominate.
Ok Rob, I’d like to have a go, and will join in with the weekly discussions.

Reserving judgement.
Ok well there are three guitarists (two and a half since Byrne sometimes just sings) on this so you’ll need to narrow that down.

His lack of range as you put it is part of the “art” of the band and this comment is the absolute poster child for why singers don’t matter to me as much as the music.

His lack of range as you put it is part of the “art” of the band and this comment is the absolute poster child for why singers don’t matter to me as much as the music.
Couldn't agree more, my favourite 3 bands are Van Halen, Midnight Oil, Alice Cooper.....and to put it mildly, Dave Lee Roth, Peter Garrett and Alice Cooper are not good singers (Hagar is a much better singer than DLR, but I find Van Hagar average at best).....but are 3 of the best 'frontmen' that ever lived, live ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.