The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Do I PM you the artist / album etc?
No, you can make it a surprise for me as well! In some cases, people are busy and PM the details so that I can post, but if you keep an eye on this thread on Wednesday afternoons, you'll see how it works.

In summary:-

1. I post a round-up and score average of the previous week's album - generally 2.00-2.30pm on a Wednesday.
2. In the same post, I will tag the next nominator, inviting them to step forward with their clues.
3. Generally, people like to guess at a few clues as to what the album/artist will be. This can be picture clues or simply written clues. This step is optional but the locals tend to get the pitchforks out if you miss it (although I won't hold it against you).
4. When somebody has correctly guessed, you can post your write-up. This can be as short or as elaborate as you wish, but the general idea is to say why you like it, why you've chosen it and what was going on in your life at the time you bought/first heard it. Check out this thread for some very good and heartfelt write-ups. You will find these on the page numbers indicated for each album in the table on page #1.

Any questions, feel free to ask on here and I or any of the regulars will be happy to help.

I don’t disagree that in general I like many of these live versions better than the original album versions — “Found A Job” is the most obvious to me — but I prefer the studio version of “Naive Melody” for example, and it’s still true that this is a retrospective so the art was originally created prior to this. They also did a live album before “Speaking In Tongues” which isn’t as good as this.

I can get someone arguing that Little Creatures is great even though I didn’t care for it, but True Stories and Naked (except for “Nothing But Flowers”) are a sad decline with far less sonic innovation, less humo(u)r and a lot fewer hooks. It’s almost as if they forgot how to write after they finally hit the big time.

But I’m used to Johnny-come-lately Brits trying to argue late REM is better than early REM — which elicits howls of laughter from those of us who were with them from the get-go — so it’s all good. Just kidding :)

Yeah all on personal taste, I think little creatures is brilliant and it could only have been made by talking heads. It's still very quirky. True stories is hit and miss but I like naked a lot.

To me I don't think you can pin down Talking Heads to any particular genre and that's why I like them so much. I think people who like a band from inception pretty much always prefer the earlier stuff. Due to my age and MTV the first song of theirs I heard was either road to nowhere or and she was. The album was bought on that basis, I played it to death then looked back and saw stop making sense as a kind of greatest hits without the huge hits bit ie just a compilation of their best songs.

Only after hearing earlier versions did i realise how much better most were. Exactly the same with new order and substance. Not much point listening to those songs on the other albums.

I think it comes down to if someone prefers early doors rawness or something slightly more polished while keeping it's originality and quirkiness. I'm not really a fan of basic punk for example or the raw sound of say Joy Division over New order.

If anyone ever puts little creatures up I will explain my love for the album.

I forgot my readers today so I apologise for any grammatical errors, I have a headache from just typing this:-)

Whilst a lot of my favourite music is from the 80s, it's fair to say that it's a world away from this. A lot of posters I respect on here are giving it crazily high marks, so I'm clearly missing something, but I just don't see or hear it. To be fair, I did give it a 6, so it's average as opposed to not liking it.

But comparing 80s music to that made in the decade either side, it's clear that a lot of bands went crazy with the available technology and in most cases, to the detriment of the craft. I feel like this is one of them.

But have you watched the concert ?

1724314871082.png

First impressions are...I have no idea what you lot see in this performance. His voice is fucking awful. No real range. The guitarist is rather good though, as are the backing singers.
It seems almost like fate that @FogBlueInSanFran should have made his comments about the quality of a voice in realtion to the backing it receives immediately prior to my nominating this. As DB clearly isnt a top notch singer with huge range. Yet combined with the whole band it simply works...imho.

But I’m used to Johnny-come-lately Brits trying to argue late REM is better than early REM — which elicits howls of laughter from those of us who were with them from the get-go — so it’s all good. Just kidding :)
Totally agree. I had never really heard anything by REM until I went to Uni and one of my new housemates was a huge fan so the house was often filled with all the early albums with Document & Fables being the stand outs for me. Only ever saw them on the Green tour with that being OK but not a patch on the earlier work.
Pondering that did bring me back and made me chuckle at Cathal Coughlin's (RIP) piss take of Shiny Happy People
I wasn't around for the BH top 1100 thread, so while I've heard a good number of these original songs before, I haven't heard this album whole nor have I seen the movie.
I was a late arrival here also so missed the 1100 thread. I had looked through the list on page 1 and was very surprised that now TH had been put up, hence my selection this week
I'm sure REM will make an appearance here at some stage, if they haven't already (cba to look back). But I agree with you - everything from Green backwards is the real REM.
1724318384415.png1724318384415.png

Did also see REM when they played a "secret gig" at the Borderline as "Bingo Hand Job". Ended up standing next to Peter Buck whilst taking a piss.......Perhaps thats for a new thread..."Famous people you have stood next to when taking a piss"
...and NO...I didn't look

Did also see REM when they played a "secret gig" at the Borderline as "Bingo Hand Job". Ended up standing next to Peter Buck whilst taking a piss.......Perhaps thats for a new thread..."Famous people you have stood next to when taking a piss"
...and NO...I didn't look
Roy Chubby Brown - or am I supposed to wait for the new thread..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.