The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I do like the fact that not everyone likes/gets this one and do fully appreciate the contentious issue of live albums.
It's almost as if we have returned to a discussion as per Radiohead!

I've wondered why the album has been nominated in the first place.
Apart from checking with Rob a few weeks ago about eligibility of live albums, it was down to this being my first real exposure to TH. The "B" side to Slippery people being the live track.
I think maybe and perhaps aptly, with me being a "dipper", that any eventual mark should perhaps have an *

I've been to see bands live that play through a single album plenty of times. Some playing their debut album, some their most recent, some a loved classic. They'll throw in the odd hit as an encore. Some bands, particularly in the folk scene, tend to release as many live albums as studio ones, as that is how they see the genre being done. I know a couple that have only ever released live albums, threespires happens to own one of them (I think).
I can't speak to folk, but to me we should be focused on original releases of music -- that means the songs, not the performances of the songs -- but I grant you it gets shifty with live records -- many if not most bands I know preview future studio music in live shows, especially (obviously) as they are getting their starts. So fair enough.

In fact, I might think of Cheap Trick's Live At Budokhan as an original work as it was their live versions that became radio staples and not their studio work when they broke super-big in the US.

All that said -- my next pick is going to create some cognitive dissonance on this topic of originality, so maybe I better keep my mouth shut.

No problem. I've added you to the list. The provisional date is 16th October, but things often change around due to people missing dates, so if you can have your write-up ready to go two weeks earlier, that would be much appreciated.

@Big Joe Corrigan that's very close to my birthday so if you could nominate Original Pirate Material I'd be very grateful and it'll get you off to a great start cause this lot love Mike Skinner:-)

More seriously, looking forward to your first nomination and the widening of the gene pool.

I do like the fact that not everyone likes/gets this one and do fully appreciate the contentious issue of live albums.
It's almost as if we have returned to a discussion as per Radiohead!

Apart from checking with Rob a few weeks ago about eligibility of live albums, it was down to this being my first real exposure to TH. The "B" side to Slippery people being the live track.
I think maybe and perhaps aptly, with me being a "dipper", that any eventual mark should perhaps have an *
Fucking hell I forgot you were a dipper.
I meant 1, not 10 ;-)

I thought we had established that live albums were fair game. After all we have reviewed numerous examples over the last couple of years and have two residing in our top ten.

I think that's right as they often give an extra dimension to an artists work.

I thought we had established that live albums were fair game. After all we have reviewed numerous examples over the last couple of years and have two residing in our top ten.

I think that's right as they often give an extra dimension to an artists work.
The point here may well be that some (like me) are giving high marks on foot of our love of the film(movie) rather than the album, original or remastered.

It’s a fair point… for anyone who cares about the scoring.
You like what you like. Musical taste isn’t a competition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.