The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Listened once, it comes across to me as one of those 'music media' things, that they are desperate to want everyone to like, and alot of people do because they are brainwashed into it being a 'classic' ....still like the 3 songs I previously did, but it tried hard to put me off PK, most of it is pants imo.

For the record, this is my favo(u)rite live record, my favo(u)rite greatest hits is the now-unavailable-in-any-form Lynryd Skynyrd album Gold and Platinum, and my favo(u)rite EP is REM's Chronic Town with an asterisk for New Order's 1981-1982 which is more a mini-LP than an EP.
So you are saying owning 2 out of 3 ain't bad? * ;-)

1724350047946.png
And for the record, I'll take Dead Letter Office which includes Chronic Town and many more previously unreleased gems over just the EP.

* must remind spouse that THIS is why I keep those CDs in those cabinets in there...

The point here may well be that some (like me) are giving high marks on foot of our love of the film(movie) rather than the album, original or remastered.

It’s a fair point… for anyone who cares about the scoring.
You like what you like. Musical taste isn’t a competition.
Same thing can work with videos though, I really don't get anyone scoring it higher because of the concert. I mean the songs are the main part of the concert anyhow.

If there is one thing Bluemoon is good at is over thinking literally everything. It's not a greatest hit album. They reworked quite a bit some songs for the album/concert.

It's a live album that they toured with, end of really. If you like it great if not fair enough.

Bloody hell:-)

I thought we had established that live albums were fair game. After all we have reviewed numerous examples over the last couple of years and have two residing in our top ten.

I think that's right as they often give an extra dimension to an artists work.
I think it seems to be a real hang up with some on here.
Personally if asked, I’m just putting an album up for review. It’s up for debate no matter what it is. A Best Of, A live album, an original, so what.
The deal is I put an album forward and give a personal review of what it is I see in it.
You lot give it a listen and either get it, or you pull it apart, according to your own taste.
The scoring is fun but really doesn’t matter to me, although of the three albums I put forward early on, the live one, Rory Irish Tour ‘74, did the worst of all and I have trawled back through the reviews and have taken note of anyone who gave it less than an 8 and done some investigating and I know who you are and where you live and am keeping an eye on you.

When do I go again Rob?

I thought we had established that live albums were fair game. After all we have reviewed numerous examples over the last couple of years and have two residing in our top ten.

I think that's right as they often give an extra dimension to an artists work.
We have. I understand the counter-argument; I just don't agree with it :) Because in a live show an artist can play all their best songs from the back catalogue. They can cherry pick. Much harder to produce an original work with all "best" songs. Which I think should be the standard given we're scoring all the records.

I probably care the most about the scoring and I don't have any records in the top 24 -- probably the worst performance of any regular poster here! And I've tried very hard to pick from the accessible records I like.

But no more. From now on I am picking stuff I love but a lot of you will hate. :) :)

Last edited:
We have. I understand the counter-argument; I just don't agree with it :) Because in a live show an artist can play all their best songs from the back catalogue. They can cherry pick. Much harder to produce an original work with all "best" songs. Which I think should be the standard given we're scoring all the records.

I probably care the most about the scoring and I don't have any records in the top 24 -- probably the worst performance of any regular poster here! And I've tried very hard to pick from the accessible records I like.

But no more. From now on I am picking stuff I love but a lot of you will hate. :) :)
I pick albums I love, have some meaning and play frequently. Not bothered by the score if I'm honest it's just nice if someone hears it for the first time and likes it.

I pick albums I love, have some meaning and play frequently. Not bothered by the score if I'm honest it's just nice if someone hears it for the first time and likes it.
I haven't been surprised by the scores for any of the records I picked except people liked The Tubes more than I thought they would. In the end I care in terms of relative ratings more than absolute ones, but mostly I am here to hear new things and rediscover old things. Your Talk Talk pick e.g. got me back listening to well beyond the songs I knew and learning about the band and that was super interesting and fun -- the 10CC pick from long ago was like that too. I'm especially glad it's mostly Brits here -- this thread wouldn't be as interesting for me if it was all Yanks I suspect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.