The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

That's a great review, I enjoyed reading it, I wish I could write so thoughtfully and eloquently, thank you.
Although, to be pedantic, as far as I'm aware, David silva never wrote any songs of note ;-)
. . . . . . . YET. He is Superman, as we know, so he could still produce some fine musical work in future!!

There's a lot here that I agree with, but as I take my last kid off to college in a few hours and won't be around for a few days to write, let me add a few points to this rather than write a similar review:

1) A critic once called "Once In A Lifetime" "the greatest song Byrne has ever written, or ever will write" when "Remain in Light" was first released. And he was right if you assume the songs were "written" in the order they appear on the records, albeit "Naive Melody" comes close.

2) This record helps cement how much I loved their earlier stuff compared to "Speaking In Tongues", which I still like a lot, but isn't as innovative nor as interesting as their first four records.

3) Only two songs from "Fear of Music" is parsimonious (apparently a few more tunes were left on the cutting room floor, including "I Zimbra").

4) In the movie, and you can hear it during "Heaven", my favo(u)rite moment is when the crowd cheers as Chris Frantz' drum kit is wheeled onto the stage behind Byrne and Weymouth.

5) The pentecostal revival point is wonderfully made and absolutely one of the thematic visuals Byrne was going for. He explored it more -- and much less interestingly -- on "True Stories". American bands waxing poetic about Americana has never been my thing. British bands doing it (ala my earlier pick of The Screaming Blue Messiahs) -- much much more interesting.

6) I would rate this a 9/10 -- I save 10/10s for original works, and Talking Heads never did a 10/10 record IMO ("Remain In Light" is closest at 9/10) -- but for purposes of this thread my official score is 8/10 -- docked a notch for being a live album. The movie is a 10/10 though in my movie ranking system.
I will definitely be checking out more of their stuff. Hope everything goes well with the college move. My oldest is off to uni next month just as he's turning into a fine young man

Not seen anything better than this really, it makes most bands seem pretty dull, top front man, great band and backing singers. Brilliant song. And look how much fun they're having. And a jog to boot.

Does anyone have any questions?

Sums it up perfectly.
No questions from me.
It's as good as it gets.
Although if I may, I raise you with this...

No range, lol

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.