The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Ah, the beauty of the internet.

Where one persons views are different to another's and therefore wrong.

We'll probably agree on next weeks album. Or maybe not. Who knows.

Ah, the beauty of the internet.
I mean a 0 or 1 feels silly to me, but I can absolutely see how this band might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a bunch of art school graduates with a very well-defined quirkiness who cut their teeth in NYC and whose attempts to be detached and ironic in their observations fell flat later in their career. They're a bunch of wimps. They are pretentious in their unpretentiousness. There aren't any power chords (on their studio stuff). Chris Frantz I've always felt is the Adam Clayton of drummers. So plenty to criticiz(s)e if one wants to. But I'd also suggest that their sound is very unique to them, and I love both their punkier efforts and their funkier efforts. And even their slow ones are weird enough to be interesting.

That was basically it, personally I find it odd that anyone could mark 99% of any album at 0 or 1, the cynic in me thinks it's OTT for the sake of it or to just trying to reduce the overall score for some bizarre reason. Anyhow as you stated whatever the reason there is no common ground.

Totally agree - said similar before.

I mean a 0 or 1 feels silly to me, but I can absolutely see how this band might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a bunch of art school graduates with a very well-defined quirkiness who cut their teeth in NYC and whose attempts to be detached and ironic in their observations fell flat later in their career. They're a bunch of wimps. They are pretentious in their unpretentiousness. There aren't any power chords (on their studio stuff). Chris Frantz I've always felt is the Adam Clayton of drummers. So plenty to criticiz(s)e if one wants to. But I'd also suggest that their sound is very unique to them, and I love both their punkier efforts and their funkier efforts. And even their slow ones are weird enough to be interesting.
Byrne was an innovator , post punk before we discovered it as such with other bands but like many frontmen he had a big ego and IMO believed he was TH , always the dominating feature in videos etc so much so that I was convinced of that at one stage myself.

I really do love their best stuff especially their post punk and there is too much of it for me not to rate them very highly and I certainly agree with you about their sound and the fact they got the best out of what they were capable of time and again. It seems they didn't get on ( often the case with like minded non resilient art graduates ( LOL)) if you believe Frantz and Harrison but made up so to speak which pleased me because they did too much despite a dominant figurehead not to after they disbanded.

Don't think they needed power chords to be fair Fog.

No doubt in the top 50 most influential and best 50 bands of all time IMO.

The comments made did make me start to think what offering would have to be put forward for me to score a 0 or 1.
Having virtually no musical ability I would have to score something positively simply for the ability to play an instrument or hold any sort of note/tune.
perhaps if it was an album of songs written by someone else , where they dont play instruments and the voice is stuck through a machine?
So perhaps it would take Milli Vanilli or Cher!
Even choices that I simply didnt like (PJ/RH etc) I have to accept there is musical ability and there is talent, albeit, not my cup of tea.

Punk meets funk is just about right.

That was basically it, personally I find it odd that anyone could mark 99% of any album at 0 or 1, the cynic in me thinks it's OTT for the sake of it or to just trying to reduce the overall score for some bizarre reason. Anyhow as you stated whatever the reason there is no common ground.
Yes, I'm doing it to lower the score for the sake of it. That's how I roll. I also don't give 10/10's as nothing is perfect. Rumbled.

I'll just give 5's, average, from now on.

Saves the hassle. Thanks for letting me see the light.

Yes, I'm doing it to lower the score for the sake of it. That's how I roll. I also don't give 10/10's as nothing is perfect. Rumbled.

I'll just give 5's, average, from now on.

Saves the hassle. Thanks for letting me see the light.
Who knew a raw nerve could post:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.