The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Yes, I'm doing it to lower the score for the sake of it. That's how I roll. I also don't give 10/10's as nothing is perfect. Rumbled.

I'll just give 5's, average, from now on.

Saves the hassle. Thanks for letting me see the light.
That will drag my next pick up, thanks in advance! :)

Punk meets funk is just about right.
They evolved that way, right? The polyrhythms came a little later in their career. Whereas Gang of Four was a 50/50 combo from the get-go. I think what I didn’t like about Little Creatures on was that they weren’t punk nor funk — they became more conventional pop/alt — and thus became boring. At least to me. But that’s okay — we all get old and more boring! I liked Byrne’s albums with Eno though, and Tom Tom Club also has some great songs (including Genius of Love). All in, they contributed lots of great stuff for a long time.

I listened on the way to the game from Scotland. Some musings. The rhythm section drives the band and strong Melodies are in pretty scarce supply.
I am deliberately not watching the movie or videos as I suspect the visuals would ‘improve’ the listening. I will watch once I have listened and formulated a score. At one point the track sounded just like Prince with Wendy and Sheila E. I hadn’t expected that! Will listen more on the way back.

Stop Making Sense.
Two songs i found decent.
Slippery People and Once in a Lifetime.
The rest some good bass but average to poor.
Was going to give 4 but the opening track must be the worst performed opening song ever put on a live recording so a 3 from me.
Lucky some of the backing vocals are decent or the score would not be as high.

I'll go straight after Benny and echo what he said. The live part of it was a distraction here, and felt like you needed to know the songs to get into them in this format. Decent ability of all the compnent parts, but collectively didn't move me, and that's what I am after, not to pass judgement on musicianship. It is a 4 from me.

It has given us some really enjoyable reviews however. And the hilarious irony, of hilts getting onto bimbo's back about being harsh on music, oh how I laughed.

I listened on the way to the game from Scotland. Some musings. The rhythm section drives the band and strong Melodies are in pretty scarce supply.
I am deliberately not watching the movie or videos as I suspect the visuals would ‘improve’ the listening. I will watch once I have listened and formulated a score. At one point the track sounded just like Prince with Wendy and Sheila E. I hadn’t expected that! Will listen more on the way back.
I'm doing the exact opposite. I deliberately haven't listened until I see the movie, and that is planned for this weekend. It's on (HBO) Max I am informed. I NEED to see this before I hear it.

You do you, and that's all good, and I'll do me. I've been meaning to see movie this for ages as it is, and now is the perfect time.

When I listen to the tracks after that, I want to remember the show that I've seen. I still have no idea where I will score this. Doubt it will be a 1 or a 10, that's all I know.

I'll go straight after Benny and echo what he said. The live part of it was a distraction here, and felt like you needed to know the songs to get into them in this format. Decent ability of all the compnent parts, but collectively didn't move me, and that's what I am after, not to pass judgement on musicianship. It is a 4 from me.

It has given us some really enjoyable reviews however. And the hilarious irony, of hilts getting onto bimbo's back about being harsh on music, oh how I laughed.
You're lucky I didn't.get into being harsh on comprehending posts because I didn't call bimbo on his taste in music just on his dishonesty in scoring.

I would score your post a 1/10 but I have read many worse, I mean it's a pretty bad post but a 1? Nah I don't have the need for hyperbole to suggest that. Below average I would say being the honest guy I am.

Live part a distraction? Haha
You need to know the songs to get into them? What????

3/10 I'm in a good mood.

I'm doing the exact opposite. I deliberately haven't listened until I see the movie, and that is planned for this weekend. It's on (HBO) Max I am informed. I NEED to see this before I hear it.

You do you, and that's all good, and I'll do me. I've been meaning to see movie this for ages as it is, and now is the perfect time.

When I listen to the tracks after that, I want to remember the show that I've seen. I still have no idea where I will score this. Doubt it will be a 1 or a 10, that's all I know.
Then you are scoring it on a different basis to other albums that don’t have beautifully directed visuals. But as you say, you do you. I’ll do me. :-)

Stop Making Sense.
Two songs i found decent.
Slippery People and Once in a Lifetime.
The rest some good bass but average to poor.
Was going to give 4 but the opening track must be the worst performed opening song ever put on a live recording so a 3 from me.
Lucky some of the backing vocals are decent or the score would not be as high.
I was at the Etihad having a pint before the game and I heard a guy standing next to me with a big floppy hat say ‘ahhhm frae Falkirk’ It wasn’t you was it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.