The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I think he's been the best keyboard player ever, even better than Rick Wakeman and that's saying something! But it's all about opinion.

Thanks to @RobMCFC for inviting me to nominate an album as this is excellent thread but not one I've kept up with. In future I'll review up and coming albums and I have a few more albums I'd like to nominate.

Both excellent. Seen Wakeman a few times but never saw The Stranglers live.

Keith Emerson though would still get my vote as the greatest keyboard player. I swear he could play anything.

Just sheer class.
The lyrics were loosely based on the spree killer Billy Cook, who committed several murders including that of a five-person family in 1951. Morrison used the story as a jumping-off point for the lyrics to “Riders of the Storm.”

Funny, I always think of the character Randall Flagg from Stephen Kings "The Stand' when I listen to that track.

Now that is possibly the best book ever.

I've given the album a few listens now and haven't really shifted from where I began which is that the Stranglers were one of my favourite bands of the late 70's although they coincided with a period where music took a back seat to young kids, work and playing rugby. They were one of many bands I have liked through the years but not really carried forward to listen regularly through the decades since. The Police are another example of a band I liked at the time but I probably haven't listened to them since they broke up in the 80's.

Of the 11 tracks on this album I guess I knew 4 really well as they must have been included on compilation cd's. Peaches was and is a great song and has stood the test to time. If only the other 10 tracks were of the same quality. I did like the opener 'Sometimes' which features some nice keyboard and bass work and a relatively strong hook. "Get a grip' featured nice keyboard work too and undoubtedly Dave Greenfield, gave the band their easily recognisable sound. I'm not going to overplay comparison to the Doors although the parallels are pretty clear although I was interested that Greenfield was more influenced by Lord and Wakeman than Manzarek. Lord's style I can hear pretty clearly and tbf I was never a huge fan of his or DP, preferring Emerson, Banks (in particular) and Wakeman. In terms of subtlety, Manzarek, to me stands out. Listening to some Doors over the last few days that was clear to me.

I am a fan of 'pushy' bass that sits at the centre of the music so that was a tick. The vocals less so which although they work fine on tracks like Peaches, in other tracks, grate and feel like they are forced to prove that the Band is 'punk' whatever that is. Despite that, the bands musicality just about wins through on this album.

So to scoring, the inconsistency of the songs puts this at a 5.5 for me. It's an album I enjoyed bits of but not enough to go back to it any time soon. Good pick though.

I would definitely say that Rattus Norvegicus was released in the early stages of the Punk era - April 1977.

The infamous Bill Grundy interview with the Pistols was in December '76, so four months later can’t be regarded as anything other than still the early part of that era.

I don’t remember being aware of any earlier Punk albums than RN.

Yeah I agree timing wise this is definitely early doors, my comment was more tongue in cheek along the lines of the old chestnut of whether they were actually punk at all.

Because I wasn't properly caught up in it all directly at the time, I found them quite confusing. In some ways they seemed more punk than other punk bands but in other ways not punk at all. I remember in my head bracketing them more with the post punk bands that came along and it was only when I was a bit older that it occured to me that timing wise, they were part of the punk era and that must mean some of the bands I liked must have been listening to them and were probably influenced by them.

They're a funny old band for me. On the one hand Peaches was the first bass line I ever learnt/butchered but until this week I hadn't consciously listened to it in years cause I can't be doing with it any more. I definitely think they're underrated in many ways but on the other hand I also think that's partly their own fault. JJ has always struck me as a bit of a tool but on the other hand it has occurred to me to buy Strangler in the Light cause it looks like a good read. I kind of simultaneously like them/dislike them.

The Stranglers are a band i'd previously only really interacted via the britpop bands that ripped them off in the 90's - Waking Up by Elastica being the most obvious example. And of course everyone knows Golden Brown because heroin is the coolest drug despite no one really liking smack heads. Heroin is not chic it's no teeth, brittle bones and knicking stuff from charity shops. I really hate Golden Brown

Reading about the Doors influence on here surprised me but you hear is straight away in Sometimes. Classic bass tone you'd expect in the band I imagine The Stranglers to be but with the busy organ and propensity to disappear into solos and musical sections that seem improvised. Oh and it's about slapping your girl around. There is a joke to be made comparing the many waves of punk and where The Stranglers might fit with the many waves of feminism but I'm not smart enough to make it.

Goodbye Toulouse has another growling bass but we are in 3/4 time. I beginning to feel like I've been sleeping on the Stranglers. Not that you should ever sleep near any of the Stranglers especially if you're a women. You'll wake up naked or with organs missing. There is something dark and sinister about the Stranglers and it isn't just the misogyny.

The Stranglers are a hard band and not in the typical punk posey kick a fascist way. By the time this album came out the guys in the Stranglers were pretty old so they don't have the posture of young men acting angry even though they've experienced nothing of the world. The Stranglers are mature and their views are entrenched so when they stab you they do it meaningfully.

One of the guys ran an ice cream van before the band and you can imagine this is where all the dodgy ice cream man stereotypes came from. I say this with no evidence but he was definitely chatting up the girls and putting glass in the Mr Whippy. The rest of the band were probably 14 year old boys with moustaches running the dodgems. The rest of the album continues in much the same vibe. It's about sex but not sexy - skiddy knickers.

There aren't many songs that blow my mind but there is enough interesting stuff going on that it's a good listen. Brunel is a good bass player - like Foxton wihout the Motown influence. Their best songs are either when Brunel is sneering or when Cornwell is almost doing spoken word like on Peaches.

Peaches is probably the stand out and where my unwritten joke about genre and feminism would really come to fruition. There is a stunning irony at the heart of the 'liberation' of women that as they became freer and more revealing the male gaze is intensified. In a band with more modern sensibilities like IDLES the song would be ironic and revealing the male to be sad and pathetic - maybe the 70's were a more honest time and instead of being ashamed it's a song about how good bums are. Still true 50 years later.

In summary a surprising album. It's unashamedly masculine which in 2024 leaves you feeling a bit icky but that's also weirdly part of the charm. Some of the songs are a little longer than they should have been and it's definitely less punk than I thought it would be. There's an obvious Doors influence and not just in the organ but I also heard bits of the Kinks and a whole bunch of modern bands like IDLES and Arctic Monkeys and good Blur

8 out of 10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.