The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Ah, Right with a W, yea that first clue did send me down the path of all sorts of arffirmative positives, just didn't think of phonetics. Live and learn.

What was the quarter/ washington reference out of interest?

Well a grand total of 16 votes submitted, and a couple that had things to say but didn't put a number on it, can't say it hasn't been an engaging album!

Also got people talking to their families, it seems.

Another valid observation by LG, that this is likely one of the very few (no idea how many others there are if any) albums that nobody seems to have previously listened to or owned. There is an excersise in that, and something to watch.

It had a total of 8 6s, and ends with an average score of 5.28.

Will PM rob the full list for his spreadsheets.

Now over to Journo whenever ready.
I was thinking about that. Did Fatima Mansions fall under the same umbrella. It was a long time ago I know.

A bit rubbish but the picture above was Mr Pink form Reservoir Dogs. I should have had a picture of Floyd Mayweather with it probably and then it was a quarter of Pink Floyd. Edited, meant to quote @Coatigan there

There’s no big story that links this album to a particular time in my life. In fact I can’t remember when I first heard it or how I came to have it. I expect it was yet another album bought from Mr Sifter (enjoying his moment in the sun with the return of Oasis) way back in time. Over the years though I’ve developed an emotional attachment to it that I can’t quite explain.

It’s a “mood” album I’m afraid. I do have mood albums that I turn to when I’m feeling on top of the world and full of enthusiasm for life. And I’m not a depressive by any means but I do have a tendency to favour the melancholy which this album provides in pretty reasonable measure.

I have a theory, that my 30+ years working as a mental health nurse tells me wouldn’t really hold up to much scrutiny, that a little bit of melancholy now and then is a useful inoculation against the big black clouds that some people sadly find themselves under more often than is comfortable. A homeopathic dose of misery you might say.

I have built up a picture of Richard Wright in my own mind as an unassuming, even diffident man. The opposite of the megalomaniac Waters and without looking too deeply into it he was always my favourite member of Pink Floyd. My dad, from whom I was estranged through circumstance for some important childhood years was a big Floyd fan and on our reacquaintance, despite his demons struck me as having similar characteristics. Pink Floyd? Fucking hell there’s a danger of this becoming more Pink Freud...

Wet Dream was released to a wave of indifference by all accounts, I vaguely remember Gilmour’s first solo album from the same general epoch getting more attention. Maybe Richard Wright’s indifference to himself (as imagined by me) made it’s way to the general public. It came out after Animals and before the Wall but is probably closer in style to Wish You Were Here. It was released at a time that Wright was struggling to hold his marriage together and the lyrics, such as they are reflect that inner turmoil. But, the lyrics could also reflect his sense of growing uncertainty about his place in the band, an anxiety certainly with foundation as things panned out. For that insight, which I’m sure I would have come up with if I hadn’t read it online I’m grateful to whichever review it was I read in the past few days.

In some respects this is a slight album. 10 tracks, six of them instrumentals. This works for me, Wrights vocals are plaintive, almost moribund and an albums worth of them might be too much. As it is the instrumental interludes set us up nicely for the songs with lyrics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.