The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Both on this album. I would really struggle to believe anyone (UK based at least) that says they haven't at some point either serenaded a mate or been serenaded by a mate to 'dry your eyes'. Even perhaps beyond a relationship loss. Or to a lesser extent not used or heard a line from fit but don't you know it. Even without having listened to the songs themselves. One of those that filtered right into general culture and colloquial language.
Depends on age mate. I've heard both songs before but not once have any of my mates serenaded me with them. Maybe a younger generation might have, who knows, but neither have filtered into my life.

Depends on age mate. I've heard both songs before but not once have any of my mates serenaded me with them. Maybe a younger generation might have, who knows, but neither have filtered into my life.

Fair point and I did consider including 'depending on your age' in that earlier. But even then, years ago I've seen an old man sing it to his younger (I assume) carer in Asda when he dropped his cheesecake. It stuck with me because it was touchingly joyful and quite funny. People have sung it at football matches etc. In some ways being old isn't enough, without a degree of social detachment, imo.

Fair point and I did consider including 'depending on your age' in that earlier. But even then, years ago I've seen an old man sing it to his younger (I assume) carer in Asda when he dropped his cheesecake. It stuck with me because it was touchingly joyful and quite funny. People have sung it at football matches etc. In some ways being old isn't enough, without a degree of social detachment, imo.
I must be socially detached :) I’m definitely old as well! Now I’ve had the misfortune of listening to Dry Your Eyes twice. However I’m pleased to confirm I’ve not to the best of my recollection ever heard it - serenaded or otherwise. Hopefully the trauma of the second listen will not be long lasting :)

I must be socially detached :) I’m definitely old as well! Now I’ve had the misfortune of listening to Dry Your Eyes twice. However I’m pleased to confirm I’ve not to the best of my recollection ever heard it - serenaded or otherwise. Hopefully the trauma of the second listen will not be long lasting :)

was a UK Number 1 for a while.

was a UK Number 1 for a while.

This record is nearly 20 years old now but I'm guessing some people in this thread haven't known what the UK number 1 is for over twice that period. I'm not saying that as any form of criticism simply a likely fact.

You get to a certain point where the charts are of no interest and/or there's no joy listening to hours of dross on certain radio stations simply to hear the occasional new gem. It does however mean you sometimes miss out on newer experiences and end up sticking to your lane musically. Radio 6 plugs the gap pretty well, but even that has it's limitations.

This record is nearly 20 years old now but I'm guessing some people in this thread haven't known what the UK number 1 is for over twice that period. I'm not saying that as any form of criticism simply a likely fact.

You get to a certain point where the charts are of no interest and/or there's no joy listening to hours of dross on certain radio stations simply to hear the occasional new gem. It does however mean you sometimes miss out on newer experiences and end up sticking to your lane musically. Radio 6 plugs the gap pretty well, but even that has its limitations.

Indeed , the charts seem irrelevant nowadays for me. But 20 years ago it was still a big thing I’d say - just before Spotify and digital coming in.

Indeed , the charts seem irrelevant nowadays for me. But 20 years ago it was still a big thing I’d say - just before Spotify and digital coming in.
Longer than that for me. Probably mid 80's was the last time I actively paid attention to what was number 1.

You get to a certain point where the charts are of no interest and/or there's no joy listening to hours of dross on certain radio stations simply to hear the occasional new gem. It does however mean you sometimes miss out on newer experiences and end up sticking to your lane musically. Radio 6 plugs the gap pretty well, but even that has it's limitations.
Pretty much summed me up - no offence taken :)
Haven’t listened to any mainstream radio stations for years and generally play my own music in the car. My goldfish bowl is a wonderful place! :)

I do try to listen to new music but I don’t find it on the radio. I read a few music review sites and then sample what I think I will like on Spotify.

Of course that does mean I generally stick to my own lane, but that’s OK. For the last three years, I get my variety from these threads.

I do try to listen to new music but I don’t find it on the radio. I read a few music review sites and then sample what I think I will like on Spotify.

Of course that does mean I generally stick to my own lane, but that’s OK. For the last three years, I get my variety from these threads.

Indeed. Though I sometimes look at the obvious music magazine sites I find it a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure. Likewise whilst the streaming algorithms do throw up interesting stuff there's something vaguely dispiriting about the whole process. When I was younger I enjoyed "discovering" new music but despite or because of all the variety now available that joy has mostly disappeared with the notable and honourable exception of BM where it still remains fun thanks to the likes of Coatigan and the erstwhile Psychedelic Casual (who I hope all is well with) amongst many others.

On the subject of which, despite the new scoring depth I am seemingly going to plumb with my current pick, it's always good to remember to say thanks to you and others like BH who spin up these threads that are great fun.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.