The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I hate his voice for starters. Unfortunately I can’t blame his place of birth as he was born in the same place as Mrs Daze… I think he may have developed his accent for extra artistic effect :)

As you've never been serenaded with Dry Your Eyes maybe Mrs Daze could do it in the authentic accent? :-)

I'm sure you're right about his accent being developed a bit though. In this case I don't think it's part of the character he's created, because it's pretty much the same on other albums and when he's interviewed but it is a slightly weird hybrid.

You have got me thinking about this though. Somewhere over the years I've developed a real preference for people singing not only in their natural accents and voices but I will even happily tolerate a slightly exaggerated version too in preference to that generic transatlantic delivery.

I will almost always trade a bit of technical competence for some distinctiveness and colour. To use Mike Skinner as an extreme example, he can't sing but I find his voice much more interesting to listen to than say someone like Jon Bon Jovi who though actually able to sing has a voice that I personally find to be an emotional void where words go to die. I accept I'm probably very much in the minority on this though and in the case of Mr Bongiovi he's done very well for himself without my approval!

As you've never been serenaded with Dry Your Eyes maybe Mrs Daze could do it in the authentic accent? :-)

I'm sure you're right about his accent being developed a bit though. In this case I don't think it's part of the character he's created, because it's pretty much the same on other albums and when he's interviewed but it is a slightly weird hybrid.

You have got me thinking about this though. Somewhere over the years I've developed a real preference for people singing not only in their natural accents and voices but I will even happily tolerate a slightly exaggerated version too in preference to that generic transatlantic delivery.

I will almost always trade a bit of technical competence for some distinctiveness and colour. To use Mike Skinner as an extreme example, he can't sing but I find his voice much more interesting to listen to than say someone like Jon Bon Jovi who though actually able to sing has a voice that I personally find to be an emotional void where words go to die. I accept I'm probably very much in the minority on this though and in the case of Mr Bongiovi he's done very well for himself without my approval!
What would happen if you swapped them over. If Non Jovie was to sing the songs of the Streets, and Mike Skinner to rap the songs of BJ? Would you still feel that way?

I am not a fan of his voice or his delivery. And that has historically put me off getting into the Streets before, despite other draws I have noticed. Had this in my notes for my actual write-up, but I did find myself thinking on a couple of the songs that are lyrically quite strong, that if this was for example Scott Hutchison singing them with his guitar in his way, I'd be shouting their praises off the rooftops as songs. Or perhaps even another rapper. My point being, the songs are strong in their own right, style (not genre) aside.

I have genuinely enjoyed this experience though, torn as I find myself on it. I think your own dissecting a frog analogy couldn't be more fucking appropriate with this album. It is an album of little middle ground. My biggest issue with it is, while its conceptually quite deep, I find it musically quite shallow. I can see how that can be part of the point arguably, but I personally feel I need a little bit more of that side of it too.

But to avoid actually prematurely accidentally doing the bulk of my take on it, I'll stop myself there. And also keen to see our line-up get announced in 4 minutes.

"dry your eyes mates"
Now am I in off topic or general football?

Must admit that despite owning this album its not one that I have revisited that often, always favouring OPM.
So stuck it in the car over the last few days on my commute. On first play in quite a few years I did question what i liked it and did think it was a real drop off from OPM. However, being able to play it through and listen properly on my journey...I'm lucky that its a very easy and straight commute mostly only made hazardous by tractors...I did see why i liked it in the first place.
It really was something completely different at the time and did perhaps link in to my liking for Dr Cooper Clarke. A sort of poetry stuck to a modern soundtrack. Almost think it was perhaps ahead of its time and yet of its time. Picking up on the minutiae of everyday life. creating stories/songs out of the small things in life, that these days "young people" put on social media by taking pictures of their dinner plates.
Also perhaps it appealed to those who enjoy their recreational drugs as they identified the days/lives of a whole section of society.
There were some of the tracks that I didnt appreciate as much but they did build to form the whole story of Mike, Simone and that bastard Dan. Its funny aswell that i was very muchaware of the swearing when listening, far more so than I was when first playing it through...I am indeed turning into a FOC if not already there.
Nights tonight and so back to bed for a while and shall give it a few more listens over the weekend.

What would happen if you swapped them over. If Non Jovie was to sing the songs of the Streets, and Mike Skinner to rap the songs of BJ? Would you still feel that way?

Haha, that's a good question which. Would I prefer, Skinner telling me "we're halfway there" or Bon Jovi singing " Yeah, yeah, like I said, you are really fit But my gosh, don't you just know it?" - Ill have to get back to you on that one.

Years ago the Irish singer Brian Kennedy had a crack at Dry Your Eyes, he can sing very sweetly but shorn of it's context it made absolutely no sense and putting it politely was forgettable. Because so much of AGDCFF is effectively the inner monologue of this created character it loses so much, when that context is removed. I think someone like Scott Hutchinson would definitely make a better job of it than a Brian Kennedy but even he might struggle.

It is an album of little middle ground. My biggest issue with it is, while its conceptually quite deep, I find it musically quite shallow. I can see how that can be part of the point arguably, but I personally feel I need a little bit more of that side of it too.

That's a very valid point. I have long since taken the view that in the same way we are hearing "young mike's" words, what we are hearing in the music is "young mike's" inner soundtrack or musical inner dialogue and so whether or not Skinner is capable of writing better music, in this case he is deliberately writing 'in character'.

I think it's most obvious in a song like Dry Your Eyes, the melody and arrangement with it’s weeping strings is both naïve and heartfelt but it’s certainly not a particularly mature or sophisticated piece of music. In order words it’s a direct reflection of "young mikes" level of emotional development and feelings; if you asked him what his feelings 'sounded' like that is what he'd come up with. It's overly dramatic, in exactly the same way his "i've got nothing, absolutely nothing" line is and in exactly the same way the average teenage lad is overly dramatic when they are dumped by their first 'proper' girlfriend because actually it does feel like the end of the world when you are that age.

Similarly, Blinded by The Lights does a brilliant job of musically evoking that slightly disorientating feeling of being in a club and not that happy before everything kicks in. The most obvious example is the final track where the music morphs as the alternative ending kicks in; even the beat underpinning the song changes ever so slightly to reflect his changing mood.

I'm not suggesting that Mike Skinner is Franz Liszt or anything but I think he's a bit cleverer than initially meets the eye.

Haha, that's a good question which. Would I prefer, Skinner telling me "we're halfway there" or Bon Jovi singing " Yeah, yeah, like I said, you are really fit But my gosh, don't you just know it?" - Ill have to get back to you on that one.

Years ago the Irish singer Brian Kennedy had a crack at Dry Your Eyes, he can sing very sweetly but shorn of it's context it made absolutely no sense and putting it politely was forgettable. Because so much of AGDCFF is effectively the inner monologue of this created character it loses so much, when that context is removed. I think someone like Scott Hutchinson would definitely make a better job of it than a Brian Kennedy but even he might struggle.

That's a very valid point. I have long since taken the view that in the same way we are hearing "young mike's" words, what we are hearing in the music is "young mike's" inner soundtrack or musical inner dialogue and so whether or not Skinner is capable of writing better music, in this case he is deliberately writing 'in character'.

I think it's most obvious in a song like Dry Your Eyes, the melody and arrangement with it’s weeping strings is both naïve and heartfelt but it’s certainly not a particularly mature or sophisticated piece of music. In order words it’s a direct reflection of "young mikes" level of emotional development and feelings; if you asked him what his feelings 'sounded' like that is what he'd come up with. It's overly dramatic, in exactly the same way his "i've got nothing, absolutely nothing" line is and in exactly the same way the average teenage lad is overly dramatic when they are dumped by their first 'proper' girlfriend because actually it does feel like the end of the world when you are that age.

Similarly, Blinded by The Lights does a brilliant job of musically evoking that slightly disorientating feeling of being in a club and not that happy before everything kicks in. The most obvious example is the final track where the music morphs as the alternative ending kicks in; even the beat underpinning the song changes ever so slightly to reflect his changing mood.

I'm not suggesting that Mike Skinner is Franz Liszt or anything but I think he's a bit cleverer than initially meets the eye.

Did Not see a Liszt reference coming! Yes the album is a bit like an overly clever piece of architecture. The concept is strong, a lot of thought and effort has gone into it, there are clever moves followed through with some subtle detail. But beyond peer recognition and a Kevin McCloud soliloquy, most regular punters might simply look at it and think, hmm not sure about that wonky roof or not for me thanks. At least without some of it being explained to them.

Did Not see a Liszt reference coming! Yes the album is a bit like an overly clever piece of architecture. The concept is strong, a lot of thought and effort has gone into it, there are clever moves followed through with some subtle detail. But beyond peer recognition and a Kevin McCloud soliloquy, most regular punters might simply look at it and think, hmm not sure about that wonky roof or not for me thanks. At least without some of it being explained to them.

I do think (and in fairness to @stonerblue 's recent comments) that in my 'defence' of it, I've not focused on the fact that most of the time I just enjoy it for what it is and I simply find it good fun to listen to.

I think this album has a lot of humour (and warmth for the human condition) and many catchy moments. Mrs Spires knows this is the weeks pick and we have spent the last few days singing snippets at each other, not sure if I should be worried about how gleeful she is when she sings "go, get out of my house"; equally when I open the cupboard to find all the chocolate gone and I announce "I've got nothing, absolutely nothing" she considers this to be a juvenile but faintly amusing overreaction. I would argue in many places it's quite hooky albeit not in the conventional sense. I can highly recommend announcing "it was supposed to be so eeeeeeaassssy" as a way of dissipating your initial anger when something goes wrong

To run with your entertaining grand designs analogy, it might be an odd looking shape but in among some jarring features there's lots of fun and interesting ones too, and actually once you've lived in it for a while it's more liveable than the exterior might suggest.

There is actually a potentially good playlist theme in this!

I seem to have accepted I am now reviewing this album in chapters, as opposed to in one post, so might as well say shit as and when ready and when relevant. And I'll do a bit of a Fog here and go on a massive tangent on something potentially completely unrelated, and you just have to read on to see if it might maybe at some point come back to refer to the album at hand. Might do, maybe not.

We have actually already had this discussion a couple times, so I won't repeat myself. But the short of it for me has always been that there is a fine line between 'not hiding your accent', and exaggerating the shit out of it as a cheap gimmick. Something a whole wave of Scottish bands were guilty of in the 2010s decade, in an attemmpt to emulate the success of a couple bands that did it well with a lot more subtlety. It got right on my tits, and put me off a few otherwise really good bands. Basically, I quite like an authentic accent, fucking hate an act.

That said, I have recently managed to conquer probably the greatest offender and my long term nemesis, the Twilight Sad. For ages people have been pushing me to persevere with them, as it should on paper be something I like. It just wasn't happening. One of the reasons, was his over the top accent. I mean, nobody in Scotland actually fucking speaks like that, not even Gerrard Butler when putting on a shit holywood scotsman.

Recently, something seems to have clicked. He seems to be using it as more of a musical effect, than a social/cultural stunt. Those rolling Rrrs that grated on me for so long are almost like an additional backing instrument, and there is a bit of thought behind their placement. Now that I can treat it as that, I am finding I can focus on their actual music a lot more.

Which, back to the topic, I think in some ways is what Mike does. With the accent to a lesser degree, but more obviously with his prosody. And maybe a touch with his deliberate lack of intonation.

First couple of listens, his stop start broken up rhyming was quite jarring, almost robotic at times. It was distracting, it was arguably covering up weaknesses of rapping or lack of power of voice. But the more I listened to it, the more it started to look like a deliberate musical effect. To some extent, makes it sound a bit of a clumsy reciting of poetry, over a track (hello Van Morrision). But what it also does, it simplifies the shit out of it, and as the whole idea behind this is 'relatability', it does make those simplistic stories that many can nod along to, that little bit more relatable and common sounding. Not that it makes me like it any more to actually listen to, but gives me something to appreciate with more to it below the surface.

Edit; on the subject of relatability, worth pointing out how almost 20 years later, the themes on this album still feel as relatable and as relevant as they did then, even with the noticeable changes to the world and society over that period.

Last edited:
A quick update on the ‘age’ aspect of this album and whether it is more appealing to a younger audience - well, younger than me anyway!
I met up with my cousin yesterday who is 62 now and well into his music - as a broadbrush I’d say he has rock leaning tastes. I mentioned this thread and this weeks selection. His reaction was - great album, love the story behind it. It’s funny and sad in equal measure. His score - 8/10.
I’m not suggesting his vote is counted, but thought I’d mention it!
Still not one for me though lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.