The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The Stranglers nostalgia-drenched score annoyed me by the way. May have to toss in a few words about that one too.

I understand where you're coming from with this and personally it's been interesting to compare this week's pick with last week's.

But I think we have to accept that a thread like this is going to have all sorts of cognitive biases on show and rosy retrospection and a kind of primacy bias will be two of the most prevalent. We pretty much actively encourage people to do this by asking them to nominate albums that 'mean' something to them.

To me that's why this thread is more interesting than say working through Larkin's list. It's people putting stuff in the context of their lives, that's where the interest lies.

If the price I have to pay for that is that everyone displays a load of biases that mean they are regularly wrong about stuff, then I'm willing to forgive them their wrongness for the other things that it brings to the thread :-)

Last edited:
Apologies again for dipping in and out. Should be a bit easier to fit in some time for writing this coming week.

Re IDLES, @Coatigan’s advice to keep going when the song gets hard is very good advice IMO.

The Stranglers nostalgia-drenched score annoyed me by the way. May have to toss in a few words about that one too.
If you like a bit of nostalgia Fog, wait until next week. I suspect however the reviews may be somewhat different!

Although not on this album, I would encourage people (those that haven't already) to give their the song June a listen.

Given some of the discussions over the last couple of pages and the fave a cluple other posters have mentioned it, it would gove the album and the band, and the themes discussed, a slightly fuller backdrop.

I understand where you're coming from with this and personally it's been interesting to compare this week's pick with last week's.

But I think we have to accept that a thread like this is going to have all sorts of cognitive biases on show and rosy retrospection and a kind of primacy bias will be two of the most prevalent. We pretty much actively encourage people to do this by asking them to nominate albums that 'mean' something to them.

To me that's why this thread is more interesting than say working through Larkin's list. It's people putting stuff in the context of their lives, that's where the interest lies.

If the price I have to pay for that is that everyone displays a load of biases that mean they are regularly wrong about stuff, then I'm willing to forgive them their wrongness for the other things that it brings to the thread :-)
I agree, absolutely.

But top ten?

Come on now.

Apologies again for dipping in and out. Should be a bit easier to fit in some time for writing this coming week.

Re IDLES, @Coatigan’s advice to keep going when the song gets hard is very good advice IMO.

You and me both. Folk toss 8s around like confetti. There is no way that album should be top ten. An eight should be a damn near perfect album. One that is in your top 20 all time favourites.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.