The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

With the obvious caveat I don't know what the choices are, I think it really won't matter. Somehow I have the feeling that either way you will be able to do a writeup that gets the discussion going, which is all that really counts.
Hmmm I'm not so sure. I think most people will be largely indifferent. I may be able to manufacture a convo by prejudging an uncharitable response but my wife tells me I always try and talk about stuff no one else cares about :)

I'm fairly sure that the album will be new to most people even though is 25 years old so has that in its favour. It's also not on Spotify which so people may not bother with it.

Genuinely can't decide if I should put up the album that means most to me or one I think might be enjoyed by others more.
There’s no guarantee that what you think others will enjoy will be. This thread proves that time and again and anyway we’re not here to court popularity.

I’d be keener to hear the album that means more to you but it’s lack of easy availability might be an issue

There’s no guarantee that what you think others will enjoy will be. This thread proves that time and again and anyway we’re not here to court popularity.

I’d be keener to hear the album that means more to you but it’s lack of easy availability might be an issue

This. Attempts at giving the people what (we think) they want have generally failed, more often than not. Unless of course it is a country-tinged album which has a strong audience here. Albums dear to people have sometimes surprised their nominators.

Hmmm I'm not so sure. I think most people will be largely indifferent. I may be able to manufacture a convo by prejudging an uncharitable response but my wife tells me I always try and talk about stuff no one else cares about :)

I'm fairly sure that the album will be new to most people even though is 25 years old so has that in its favour. It's also not on Spotify which so people may not bother with it.

When my wife says that to me I tell her it's a big world and those people are out there but I just haven't met them yet.

I also like to point out when she says she's not interested, that her presumption that the failing lies with me might actually be faulty. That always goes down well I find.

The lack of Spotify might be the bigger issue as though I rarely use it, it is the 'go to' for so many now.

I normally have a first listen at work whilst I'm tidying stuff up and doing menial repetitive stuff. Then I bike home so it gets my second listen then and when Im making dinner. I'll normally stick a few notes in my phone and look at the lyrics more. Third listen in the evening and then I'll write the review whilst skimming through the tracks.

Thankful to have the memory of my mate for this one as i was struggling to be moved by it. It was on the third listen and the line "Let me go, I cannot stay" that triggered me into an uncharitable thought that no one would really stop him leaving because he's kind of a buzzkill and a mope but also demanded attention. Derek was like that - no conversation was quick and he was the personification of mope but you could see glimpses of who he had used to be. He knew all the staff in his local Morrisons and if he'd found a new flavour yoghurt or something he'd like he would bring you some to share in his enjoyment. You'd hear him on the phone to who you assumed was a friend just to find out it was the bank or a salesman. He just could only sustain that in short bursts before he'd get back to moping.

I stopped listening to Radiohead just before Kid A came out and then "rediscovered" them early last year. No matter what Foggy says I think they are incredible. I get why people find them pretentious but if you read my reviews I have a penchant for that :) also if you carefully read my reviews there is a formula

1) unfairly fixate on a minor aspect of a lyric or musical choice
2) take that minor thing into an absurd place
3) throw in a personal anecdote to try and make myself sound more interesting
4) make it much too long (like a Radiohead song)
Well it’s working.
And for the record,…. I like Radiohead.
There. I’ve said it.

It's on YouTube in its entirety so still accessible for free

Chappel Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess

Apologies, a bit late on this one. hectic week!

Right, where to start - Firstly it's a refreshing pick, I'm probably more interested in hearing Albums that are not aimed at us as a target audience, its good to have a break from 70/80/90s Rock.

Chappel Roan has a sweet voice and like others have mentioned there seems to be a big glut of these sort of female vocalists at present - Taylor Swift,Kate Perry, Lorde, Olivier Rodrigo and many more.

The slight difference I can tell is there's more of a undercurrent meaning, what sounds like 'vulgar' lyrics are often masking over some heavy topics in how she is sexualised, breakups, being gay etc - Does any of that speak to me? in all honestly, No. I prefer my lyrics to be imagery or Dylan poetry, or even a Gallagher nursery rhyme.
However, I do respect any artist that can take a brave stand on these issues.

Away from all that, there is a lot of Blondie disco type fun stuff happening, it's a big mix of Pop songs and each one could pass as a 'hit' - whether that makes it generic I feel is a bit unfair. How the hell does a Pop star nowadays avoid being told it sounds generic? when we have decades of Pop before us.

Overall, mostly catchy pop songs and enjoyed the slower melodic ones. whether they all sound like a big mix of so many modern day female artists didn't bother me however there was a fair few skippable tracks .

6/10

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.