The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Hmm the conspiracy runs deep. I googled fish slice to try and find you a picture but none of the pictures are what I have in mind. I am picturing something similar to a spatula but it is longer, straight and thinner.

It took me a couple of minutes to open my cutlery drawer (because I do own a spatula) and unfortunately I do not have a utensil that I would formerly and confidently refer to fish slice. I think it's probably best if we all just pretend the last 24 hours haven't happened
I can't forget. Anyone keeping a spatula or fish slice in a drawer is a wrong'un.
Both utensils are mandatory tools for a serious chef and are always kept in a bespoke kitchen caddy or wall rack.
And don't get me started on whisks...

Where as I learned you do actually get fish sausage, and in slice format! A popular korean snack. Could be doing with being a bit more square, but google happened to have an image of where my mind went for fish slice.

View attachment 131778

And I think I also know what you mean by the utensil, we both learned something today.
thats spam.

Repetition is pretty important in music. Your brain likes to feel like it knows what it is doing so if it can predict what's happening and it is proven right you get a little chemical boost as your brain celebrates itself. I read a book years ago about how our brains are kind of insecure so whenever it's confronted with something that confirms what you already think then you get a little dopamine or something. That's why it's very hard to challenge entrenched ideas because your brain rewards you when you have those ideas confirmed and hates it when they are challenged.

I think that's why we also get attached to styles and genres etc. when you know and understand them your brain is happy so you like that style or music. It's also why pop music is so immediate. It is familiar and repetitive.

It's also why syncopation and doing something unexpected can be powerful because your brain goes "wow I wasn't expecting that" but if it happens too much you begin to get irritated.

And definitely repetition can lead to trance states or mania. That's why repetitive music is often part of ritual and spirituality. In my experience it's more common in non-European cultures although I think something is happening with football crowds in places like Germany where the crowd just kind of drone on.

Not just music, I think what you describe up top is similar to the illusory truth effect or something like that. Basically repeat something often enough and even if the subject initially knew it was a lie, the increasing familiarity of the statement makes it more palatable/comfortable for the brain to process so in comparison to the lesser stated truth it is more welcomed. Don't have to be daft to fall for it either, they've done experiments with well educated people capable of critical thinking who clearly knew something to be incorrect at the start but come the end of the experiment not so much. Scary stuff!

Not convinced there's enough BPM for those German fans to get into a trance, they're just bloody annoying. Unless they do mad coordinated bin bag dancing too which is faintly amusing, mind they were Swiss though weren't they.

I can't forget. Anyone keeping a spatula or fish slice in a drawer is a wrong'un.
Both utensils are mandatory tools for a serious chef and are always kept in a bespoke kitchen caddy or wall rack.
And don't get me started on whisks...

Here's me flailing around a few pages earlier referring to it as a 'cylindrical container' when all along it had a proper name. New vocabulary to use, repeatedly. By the end of tomorrow my wife is going to turn round to me and say '"let me guess, you've just found out it's called a f******g caddy"

And whilst everyone else appears to have given this full consideration, I have still to give it the first listen.
Back from sunny Croatia with a 20 degree drop in temp as we landed in Dublin. Just caught up with the thread and not sure whether I should have given this a listen prior to reading so much of the views of the "club".
I'm thinking this could well be a marmite situation.
Marzipan!
Keep up.

Not just music, I think what you describe up top is similar to the illusory truth effect or something like that. Basically repeat something often enough and even if the subject initially knew it was a lie, the increasing familiarity of the statement makes it more palatable/comfortable for the brain to process so in comparison to the lesser stated truth it is more welcomed. Don't have to be daft to fall for it either, they've done experiments with well educated people capable of critical thinking who clearly knew something to be incorrect at the start but come the end of the experiment not so much. Scary stuff!

Not convinced there's enough BPM for those German fans to get into a trance, they're just bloody annoying. Unless they do mad coordinated bin bag dancing too which is faintly amusing, mind they were Swiss though weren't they.
Know what you mean Donald.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.