The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Cutting it fine I know. For someone who thought he'd retired five years ago I seem to spend a lot of time working.

This album in truth I couldn't find much to get excited about, or to massivelt dislike. It sounded pretty generic and as someone has mentioned, he seemed to vary his vocal style a bit although just to contradict that I don't think he has the range to do so and what came across is poor imitations of some of the aformentioned Bowie, Bolan, etc.

Nobody has mentioned Graham Parker but it reminded me in places of him. Parker could be very good but as a bit of a generalisation Parker, Hunter and any others you can name don't have enough points of difference for me to choose to listen to them over any of my established favourites.

No stand out tracks, a couple that I thought were a bit poor, or a bit of a stretch. It's a middle of the road 6 from me.

What I really liked about this record is that Ian Hunter appears to be a man who takes songcraft seriously, but not himself. The title of the album tells you that. And given their connection and some vocal-sonic similarities, I understand why Bowie would be considered a comparison (especially after listening to "Life After Death”), but you know who this reminds me of? Todd Rundgren. Now Todd’s career was uneven, but at his best he was terrific. This isn’t as good as Todd’s best moments. So maybe the right comparison is Joe Walsh. I love Joe Walsh. He can be forgiven of the otherwise-unforgiveable sin of joining the Eagles – which, by the way, was a band he actually made listenable – because his solo stuff is so much fun. And that’s what this record is – a lot of fun.

As noted, I remembered a lot of these tunes as I listened. “Just Another Night”, “Cleveland Rocks”, “Ships” and “Bastard” all reached into my brain and pulled themselves out – though “Cleveland Rocks” was already one I knew immediately. And they all ring my chimes, because they have hooks, and because they’re all a bit rough around the edges, which I find charming. Contrast the POTUSA version of “Cleveland” – yes, I love that remake because the production is sparkling, but I almost like this version better because it isn’t.

I also love the tempo changes – from fist-raising anthem to slow dance crooner to near-disco to near-gospel to good ol’ fashioned rock and roll. Stylistically, the variety means that you don’t get bored here. And Hunter pulls them all off. I don’t see his voice as a problem, because he’s having the time of his life just making music, and I respect that more than I care about whether or not he can carry a tune. I can’t carry a tune, but when I’m in a good mood I sometimes sing in the shower, and my wife always likes it, not because I can sing (Lord knows!), but because she knows it’s reflective of me being happy. I got the same sense here. Ian’s not trying to make a statement, musical or otherwise. He’s not copying others. He’s not looting. He’s just having a good time.

But this record isn’t without soft spots. I don’t think “Wild East” adds much, where I think the repetitiveness of the riff/chorus makes it a trifle dull. Whilst I like “Ships”, the simile has been eye-rollingly played out. The closer wasn’t necessarily my favo(u)rite. Some of the tunes do go on. But nothing here turned me off – top to bottom, the record has songs I’d hear again. And the real discovery for me was “Standin’ In My Light”, which even borders on moving.

I listened to this record five times in the past week I think, and “Cleveland Rocks” about 15 times. It wasn’t because I was trying to figure out how I feel. It was out of enjoyment. Well done, Ian. It's a 7.5 out of 10 but in this case I'm rounding up. 8/10.

Last edited:
Cutting it fine I know. For someone who thought he'd retired five years ago I seem to spend a lot of time working.

This album in truth I couldn't find much to get excited about, or to massivelt dislike. It sounded pretty generic and as someone has mentioned, he seemed to vary his vocal style a bit although just to contradict that I don't think he has the range to do so and what came across is poor imitations of some of the aformentioned Bowie, Bolan, etc.

Nobody has mentioned Graham Parker but it reminded me in places of him. Parker could be very good but as a bit of a generalisation Parker, Hunter and any others you can name don't have enough points of difference for me to choose to listen to them over any of my established favourites.

No stand out tracks, a couple that I thought were a bit poor, or a bit of a stretch. It's a middle of the road 6 from me.
Funny you should mentioned GP I was a big fan of his early output and had considered one as a nomination.

What I really liked about this record is that Ian Hunter appears to be a man who takes songcraft seriously, but not himself. The title of the album tells you that. And while given their connection and some vocal-sonic similarities, I understand why Bowie would be considered a comparison (especially after listening to "Life After Death”), but you know who this reminds me of? Todd Rundgren. Now Todd’s career was uneven, but at his best he was terrific. This isn’t as good as Todd’s best moments. So maybe the right comparison is Joe Walsh. I love Joe Walsh. He can be forgiven of the otherwise-unforgiveable sin of joining the Eagles – which, by the way, was a band he actually made listenable – because his solo stuff is so much fun. And that’s what this record is – a lot of fun.

As noted, I remembered a lot of these tunes as I listened. “Just Another Night”, “Cleveland Rocks”, “Ships” and “Bastard” all reached into my brain and pulled themselves out – though “Cleveland Rocks” was already one I knew immediately. And they all ring my chimes, because they have hooks, and because they’re all a bit rough around the edges, which I find charming. Contrast the POTUSA version of “Cleveland” – yes, I love that remake because the production is sparkling, but I almost like this version better because it isn’t.

I also love the tempo changes – from fist-raising anthem to slow dance crooner to near-disco to near-gospel to good ol’ fashioned rock and roll. Stylistically, the variety means that you don’t get bored here. And Hunter pulls them all off. I don’t see his voice as a problem, because he’s having the time of his life just making music, and I respect that more than I care about whether or not he can carry a tune. I can’t carry a tune, but when I’m in a good mood I sometimes sing in the shower, and my wife always likes it, not because I can sing (Lord knows!), but because she knows it’s reflective of me being happy. I got the same sense here. Ian’s not trying to make a statement, musical or otherwise. He’s not copying others. He’s not looting. He’s just having a good time.

But this record isn’t without soft spots. I don’t think “Wild East” adds much, where I think the repetitiveness of the riff/chorus makes it a trifle dull. Whilst I like “Ships”, the simile has been eye-rollingly played out. The closer wasn’t necessarily my favo(u)rite. Some of the tunes do go on. But nothing here turned me off – top to bottom, the record has songs I’d hear again. And the real discovery for me was “Standin’ In My Light”, which for whatever reason even borders on moving.

I listened to this record five times in the past week I think, and “Cleveland Rocks” about 15 times. It wasn’t because I was trying to figure out how I feel. It was out of enjoyment. Well done, Ian. It's a 7.5 out of 10 but in this case I'm rounding up. 8/10.
Great review as always Foggy, I agree it’s an album that puts me in a good mood .it’s a good one to sing along too whilst driving solo ,as my wife doesn’t appreciate my vocals. (she’s a high ranking vocal police officer!)

Another good outing for @Mancitydoogle - Ian Hunter's You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic brought in 11 votes at an average of 7.18. That's an identical record to The Budos Band and good enough for a place in the top 15.

OK, if @threespires is out of his meeting, we should have some clues shortly ........

Great review as always Foggy, I agree it’s an album that puts me in a good mood .it’s a good one to sing along too whilst driving solo ,as my wife doesn’t appreciate my vocals. (she’s a high ranking vocal police officer!)
This one goes on my "great discovery" list from this thread along with Bad\\Dreems and Lucinda Williams and Fatima Mansions and Drive By Truckers, even though I am increasingly confident that I must have owned it somewhere along the line. This came out back when if I knew I liked three songs on a record I would buy it, and when I was shifting from AM pop radio to FM rock radio, which is where this would have landed given Ian's MTH connection. I have a few artists like this where I vaguely recall owning their stuff but somehow can't be sure -- Dave Edmunds, The Slits, Aztec Camera to name a few.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.