The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

It's a bit of an odd album for me this as I think it's trying to hit a pop/synth/rock/indie sweetspot which is something which might land in my sweet spot....but there's something which isn't doing it for me. I had a Ting Tings feel about it but the Tings are really good at what they do.

I think it was Eamo who said it was perfectly good background music and I agree. It's not unpleasant at all but it by appealing to everyone it doesn't appeal to anyone for me.

Its not bad.but I think a bit more focus on what sound they want would be much better.

6/10

Echoing the Goats comment...

I was driving up the A38 yesterday listening to this and thinking it's ok but not feeling particularly inspired by it. After it finished the algorithm offered up Red Wine Supernova by Chappell Roan and my issue with Lovers Electric became clearer. The Roan song is an insanely catchy piece of bubblegum pop that has a bit of a sense of humour with a cartoonish bit of provocation thrown in, enough to differentiate her from the field. Whatever you do or don't think of it as music, it has a real identity to it. There's little doubt what Roan's about and what she's up to and it's all the better for it.

I'm contrast I can't quite get what LE are about, their identify seems confused to me ; they seem to fall between multiple stools but not in a way that makes it stand out as eclectic or anything.

Electric Lovers by Electric Lovers

This has been a hard album to review as whenever I'm not listening to it I immediately forget what I heard. It's like when you're driving down the motorway and you suddenly realise you've no recollection of the last 45 minutes. I have a couple of issues and I will spend the next few paragraphs laying them out.

1) It lacks weight
I don't particular enjoy the way this album is mixed. It lacks some weight and energy. The drums sound trash and I although I don't mind the thin guitar tones they need something weighty to ground them. Listen to the synth during the intro of Is It Over - even though it's playing low down it has no weight and then the metal sound and keys are way too loud.

This lack of weight is also a real problem I have with the vocal. It's neither fragile or weighty. Compare any track on here with something like Standing in the Way of the Control by Gossip - although I don't particularly like that song I think its doing similar things to this album BUT it carries a bunch more weight. The vocal performance is similar to something like Ladyhawke but she is backed with more weight in the music.

There are moments where the harmony is too quiet and the strings are pushed way to back in the mix.

The guy here is a multi-instrumentalist and you can kind of tell, particular with the piano playing, that he's in desperate need of a band. Everything is kind of basic.

Having said that I think they may be better live than in the studio. There is a video of them performing on YouTube whilst they seem to be waiting for their car to be MOT'd. That song 'Could this Be' isn't on this album and it's kind of charming although if I'm honest I'm maybe getting distracted by her dress.

2) I don't believe it
I think these guys got married when they were 19 but there is nothing really lyrically that makes sense of that. Tell Me Honey seems to be about a relationship that isn't going great BUT it doesn't feel like they are singing about their own relationship. There is nothing honest or awkward about it. They are writing songs rather than sharing part of themselves.

I don't suppose it's that unusual but it adds to the general weightlessness I feel around this album. It feels like it's a covers album and singing other peoples songs without really understanding emotions. There are some attempts at falsetto fragility but the voice never cracks or betrays any feeling.

At some point in their marriage someone expressed that they would like to be in a band. I imagine it's her as he seems to be working the hardest but when he gets together with his mates they make fun of him for being whipped and he puts his hands in his pocket and shrugs. He's doing his best to make her happy but really he'd rather teach algebra in high school.

In Love is definitely a song written either by someone who has never been in love OR is pretending. It absolutely doesn't feel like two people in love writing a song together - it doesn't mention anything that feels specific to that relationship. If you're saying "I'm in love. What do i say now? I've got no idea" then you probably shouldn't be in the song writing business. Plus it feels like a new love. How long have you been married for?

Whatever You Want toasts to old love but these guys met with they were 17 and again it's kind of a break up song. It doesn't ring true.

3) Closer
There are some moments I enjoyed - 'Start Again' is ok and i could imagine it over a Match of the Day sequence highlighting tomorrows big game but any good will the album builds is destroyed by the truly horrible Closer. I have never heard such an amateurish sounding song delivered so sincerely as if it's something to be proud of (and I've listened to a lot of bad Christian albums). Admittedly I've never written a song - primarily because if I did it would sound like this and even my mum wouldn't be able to find the energy to lie and say it was good.

It's a generous 4 from me because there wasn't enough to hate to allow me to award a lower score and they seem like nice people

Last edited:
Electric Lovers by Electric Lovers

This has been a hard album to review as whenever I'm not listening to it I immediately forget what I heard. It's like when you're driving down the motorway and you suddenly realise you've no recollection of the last 45 minutes. I have a couple of issues and I will spend the next few paragraphs laying them out.

1) It lacks weight
I don't particular enjoy the way this album is mixed. It lacks some weight and energy. The drums sound trash and I although I don't mind the thin guitar tones they need something weighty to ground them. Listen to the synth during the intro of Is It Over - even though it's playing low down it has no weight and then the metal sound and keys are way too loud.

This lack of weight is also a real problem I have with the vocal. It's neither fragile or weighty. Compare any track on here with something like Standing in the Way of the Control by Gossip - although I don't particularly like that song I think its doing similar things to this album BUT it carries a bunch more weight. The vocal performance is similar to something like Ladyhawke but she is backed with more weight in the music.

There are moments where the harmony is too quiet and the strings are pushed way to back in the mix.

The guy here is a multi-instrumentalist and you can kind of tell, particular with the piano playing, that he's in desperate need of a band. Everything is kind of basic.

Having said that I think they may be better live than in the studio. There is a video of them performing on YouTube whilst they seem to be waiting for their car to be MOT'd. That song 'Could this Be' isn't on this album and it's kind of charming although if I'm honest I'm maybe getting distracted by her dress.

2) I don't believe it
I think these guys got married when they were 19 but there is nothing really lyrically that makes sense of that. Tell Me Honey seems to be about a relationship that isn't going great BUT it doesn't feel like they are singing about their own relationship. There is nothing honest or awkward about it. They are writing songs rather than sharing part of themselves.

I don't suppose it's that unusual but it adds to the general weightlessness I feel around this album. It feels like it's a covers album and singing other peoples songs without really understanding emotions. There are some attempts at falsetto fragility but the voice never cracks or betrays any feeling.

At some point in their marriage someone expressed that they would like to be in a band. I imagine it's the dude as he seems to be working the hardest and when he gets together with his mates they make fun of him for being whipped and he puts his hands in his pocket and shrugs. He's doing his best to make her happy but really he'd rather teach algebra in high school.

In Love is definitely a song written either by someone who has never been in love OR is pretending. It absolutely doesn't feel like two people in love writing a song together - it doesn't mention anything that feels specific to that relationship. If you're saying "I'm in love. What do i say now? I've got no idea" then you probably shouldn't be in the song writing business. Plus it feels like a new love. How long have you been married for?

Whatever You Want toasts to old love but these guys met with they were 17 and again it's kind of a break up song. It doesn't ring true.

3) Closer
There are some moments I enjoyed - 'Start Again' is ok and i could imagine it over a Match of the Day sequence highlighting tomorrows big game but any good will the album builds is destroyed by the truly horrible Closer. I have never heard such an amateurish sounding song delivered so sincerely as if it's something to be proud of (and I've listened to a lot of bad Christian albums). Admittedly I've never written a song - primarily because if I did it would sound like this and even my mum wouldn't be able to find the energy to lie and say it was good.

It's a generous 4 from me because there wasn't enough to hate to allow me to award a lower score and they seem like nice people
The weight is over.

Well put Mr.B.
Sums it up quite well.

Just back from The Christie after my brachytherapy session yesterday. Overall it wasn’t too bad. Lots of waiting around. I had a general anaesthetic so was out for it all, and then I was wheeled back to my private room with a catheter. I wasn’t in any pain but I hardly slept because with the catheter and saline drip attached, side-sleeping wasn’t a realistic option. So I just lay propped up listening to music for about 5 hours!

CT scan this week to be followed by three weeks of radiotherapy in a couple of weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.