The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

Enjoying the Album.

but just had to watch this classic on YouTube - pure joy and energy, absolutely loved it. What a dream for those crowd members to join in. Garret is a bald Byrne with his stage presence and moves.

Cannot find anything positive in this so far.It is like I'm listening a different album from everybody else.
Will try again tomorrow.

Cannot find anything positive in this so far.It is like I'm listening a different album from everybody else.
Will try again tomorrow.
We can’t like ‘em all. If you can’t find anything positive, I’ll look forward to you telling us why you don’t like it - all opinions are equally valid.

Sadly not for me.
I had only heard one track from Midnight Oil before.Beds are Burning so I was looking forward to this album.
Didn't like the vocals and unlike Beds are Burning none of the choruses grabbed my attention.
Some of the intros were good Feeding Frenzy, Renaissance Man,Drums of Heaven but then the vocals and music kicked in.
Not for me so after last week's high of an 8 I'm giving Earth and Sun and Moon an 4.
All in all I found it boring with no stand out track.

Sadly not for me.
I had only heard one track from Midnight Oil before.Beds are Burning so I was looking forward to this album.
Didn't like the vocals and unlike Beds are Burning none of the choruses grabbed my attention.
Some of the intros were good Feeding Frenzy, Renaissance Man,Drums of Heaven but then the vocals and music kicked in.
Not for me so after last week's high of an 8 I'm giving Earth and Sun and Moon an 4.
No worries, thanks for giving it a go.

Sadly not for me.

I heard Midnight Oil before the Beds single, I worked with an Aussie who became a mate. He did me a tape of Aussie/NZ bands to try. There was some gems that I became huge fans of, like Hoodoo Gurus and The Church. Crowded House (I had heard of as a Split Enz fan, but not to date heard anything by them) INXS and The Angels were good.

But for me also it was his voice that turned me off from the first play of them ... I appreciate their talent and support of the indigenous people of Oz, but not for me.

I heard Midnight Oil before the Beds single, I worked with an Aussie who became a mate. He did me a tape of Aussie/NZ bands to try. There was some gems that I became huge fans of, like Hoodoo Gurus and The Church. Crowded House (I had heard of as a Split Enz fan, but not to date heard anything by them) INXS and The Angels were good.

But for me also it was his voice that turned me off from the first play of them ... I appreciate their talent and support of the indigenous people of Oz, but not for me.
Fair enough - I also like Hoodoo Gurus, INXS and Crowded House - I've seen the last two multiple times live.

Fair enough - I also like Hoodoo Gurus, INXS and Crowded House - I've seen the last two multiple times live.
Crowded House were good.
Going to put them on next.
As for Earth and Sun and Moon….

I’m going with a 7/10.
It’s very good with at least 5 or 6 songs that I find myself name checking each time they come on, but…..
I reckon I’d give it an 8 except for Garrett. He’s ok in smaller doses but his strained vocals when going for it are a real distraction for me.

I’d go as far as to say it is a turn off for investigating more of their stuff which is a pity. It is a really good album.

Crowded House were good.
Going to put them on next.
As for Earth and Sun and Moon….

I’m going with a 7/10.
It’s very good with at least 5 or 6 songs that I find myself name checking each time they come on, but…..
I reckon I’d give it an 8 except for Garrett. He’s ok in smaller doses but his strained vocals when going for it are a real distraction for me.

I’d go as far as to say it is a turn off for investigating more of their stuff which is a pity. It is a really good album.
It's hard to get past a voice you don't like. Funnily enough I had the same reaction when I first heard "Beds Are Burning" but I gradually warmed to it and I think his voice is better on later albums. If you don't like it so much on this album, you probably won't like it on earlier albums!

Last edited:
Ok, the only song I’d heard before was like others BAB and unfortunately I didn’t like it ,mainly because of the vocals, so I thought this was going to be a difficult listen.However a number of songs are very good, I particularly like ‘My Country’
and ‘Truganini’.I’ve been doing a lot of driving this week and it’s been a good album to listen to in the car, I found the music excellent,a bit Doorish in parts due to the organ and Harmonica ala ‘Road house blues’I’ll definitely be putting those two tracks on a playlist.Sadly the vocals started to grate after a bit so I disliked a lot of the quieter songs.
MO have a very distinctive sound so I can understand if your a fan how this would be a favourite.

6/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.