The Album Review Club - Week #114 - (page 1362) - Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts

Just had a listen and I like that a lot. Cheers. On that track he just sings without any theatrics and he sounds much better for it. The music is really good as well. Some nice acoustic guitar and builds up with some great keyboard backing.
The boy wrote some lovely stuff but its hard to take the theatre rock out of him and he has returned to it a number of times in his career including some of the more bombastic stuff on So. If you have the inclination check out Up which has some nice stuff on it and also 'scratch my back' where he does some covers of artists he respects. I'm confident you will find stuff you enjoy because in reality he does have a very good emotive voice when he puts his mind to it.

I know it wasn't mate. He has done some lovely stuff in his solo career and also some dross.

MY favourite PG song is this, and I offer it up to you in case you like it :-)

I like the version on PG’s first record better than this one with the Frippertronics personally, but this is on my list of top 20 tunes that bring a tear no doubt.

Whenever I think of King Crimson an image flashes into my head

The Fast Show - Just A Load Of Blooming Catchphrases

Nice............

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Band and when I'm in the mood, they are the only fix because there is nobody quite like them. I hear comparisons with Genesis but musically they are really different. Yes? Perhaps a little with some of their stuff. Red reminds me just a little of a track like 'Heart of the Sunrise' but you really have to look for it in both tracks dynamic build and changes of gear. I loved CotCK when I was younger and still play it when I want a 'completely stoned' vibe, Moonchild does the job just right.

So to Red. There is a great deal on this album to like. The musicianship is wonderful and Fripp, John Wetton and Bruford at the top of their game. I particularly love Bruford - his drumming is as easy to identify as Bonhams (although in a very different way). This is not an album I have listened to much other than Starless which has one of the most beautiful opening five minutes in prog rock. I really liked the two 'red' tracks and their dynamic build. Their noodling track not as much although I will add it to my 'moonchild' play list. Starless is flawed perfection - the opening theme is just gorgeous but then I lose interest a little and then they bring it back. It reminds me a little of a track by the Dutch prog rock Focus I cant remember the name (maybe eruption?) but it had a similarly beautiful dream like guitar passage.

It doesn't make my top ten prog albums but I did like it and simply because of Starless I'll give it 7.
Thanks for proposing it @Bill Walker .

Nowt wrong with a bit of jazz/classical/rock fusion in your collection and to produce what is agreat musically and lyric album when they were in the beginings of spliting up makes it even more fascinating

A solid 8/10

I know absolutely nothing about King Crimson but I’m certainly into listening to a bit of ‘jazz/classical/rock fusion’! The reviews on here also make we want to find out more.

Give it a couple or more spins mate, it is indeed a "grower" it probably took me 6 months to fully appreciate this album.
I think some posters condemn things too early. Its only been posted today and there wont be another for a week !!
You cant really "get" this music in a day. (well maybe some can LoL)

Time surely to have a few listens to see if it grabs you, if it does I can assure you it will give you pleasure for years to come, it IS quality music. But give it the week out. There is a reason why it is voted so highly by critics and fans.
Ok. I had an afternoon on my own to blast it out again.
Like I said it’s not a completely new album to me anyway, I’ve heard it in bits and pieces before.

I’ll try to do it justice by giving it proper analysis but to be honest any criticisms I have of it have been covered probably more eloquently by OB1 Foggy and Rob, than what I may repeat here.

Do I like it?
Nearly! Probably, almost, well parts.
Do I like them?
Yes, but I think that COTCK and perhaps Lizard and most definitely Larks Tongue for the same lineup are far more pleasant, cohesive, enjoyable albums.

I’m listening to Lark’s Tongue now as I type and to me it is a far superior album. Everything about it.
Wetton is no Greg Lake when it comes to lead vocals but the comparison of emotion between the two albums is stark. You don’t have to be an excellent singer to be a good vocalist and on Lark’s Tongue his strained and angst ridden vocals suit the album down to a tee.
With Red, it doesn’t strike me as an album with a cohesive theme holding it together and without that theme, Wetton sounds bland.
The first three tunes are good grooves but ultimately never take off like they promise to, and to my ear those three and Starless sound like they are cobbled together from tracks that never made it onto Lark’s Tongue, and Starless and Bible Black.
As for Providence. It just doesn’t belong here. It sounds better than first listen but someone described it as noodling and I must confess that’s the word that first came to mind on my first listen. Fripp aficionados can justify it anyway they like, but it’s just self indulgence of experimental jazz type proportions, that doesn’t fit into any framework of an album at all.

Starless is a lovely melody and starts to go somewhere but even with the nice sax piece by the end I felt cheated again.
Listen Bill, I love the band but it all comes down to taste again and for me I would have ‘In The Wake of Poseidon’ any day over it.

I’ll give it a 6/10 in recognition of the individual bits of genius and the technical excellence but in my book it comes nowhere near Lark’s Tongue in Aspic. Now that is a truly brilliant album.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.