The Album Review Club - Week #114 - (page 1362) - Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts

Robert Fripp is a genius in many ways, but he also has ego the size of block of flats and wouldn't ever let a singer take over HIS band. As I wrote before, that's why he went through so many of them. The battle between guitarist/lead vocalist has been going on in rock music from time immemorial. For Gabriel I kind of overstated my point -- I've never really had much of an issue with Gabriel's voice, but he's responsible for the lyrical content and, again as I wrote, became a much better artist when he began singing about things that matter to him personally ("Solsbury Hill") and/or should matter to us ("Biko", "Games Without Frontiers") rather than rehashing medieval nursery rhymes or whatever. Again, it's not ALL that bad, but enough to make me cringe.
Well, you know what you like….
And you like what you know.

Robert Fripp is a genius in many ways, but he also has ego the size of block of flats and wouldn't ever let a singer take over HIS band. As I wrote before, that's why he went through so many of them. The battle between guitarist/lead vocalist has been going on in rock music from time immemorial. For Gabriel I kind of overstated my point -- I've never really had much of an issue with Gabriel's voice, but he's responsible for the lyrical content and, again as I wrote, became a much better artist when he began singing about things that matter to him personally ("Solsbury Hill") and/or should matter to us ("Biko", "Games Without Frontiers") rather than rehashing medieval nursery rhymes or whatever. Again, it's not ALL that bad, but enough to make me cringe.
Yes, I know what you mean and It got ridiculous with Prog. I remember Jon Anderson saying Yes's next LP was going to be a double album based on Hindu texts and he wanted to record it in a tent in a forest FFS !

(Tales from Topographic Oceans)

Yes, I know what you mean and It got ridiculous with Prog. I remember Jon Anderson saying Yes's next LP was going to be a double album based on Hindu texts and he wanted to record it in a tent in a forest FFS !

Is that what dpelle the end for Prog Rock?

Converting Hindu texts - we've gone too far......... :-)

Were you with Dave Haslam?? ARE you Dave Haslam??

He picked up a lot of things from her. They are both individually fascinating characters. And some of Hole’s stuff is incredible. “Celebrity Skin” is one of my favo(u)rite songs — explodes out of the speaker and she is so defiant and poetic.
No lol. Just a skinny 20 yr old in a trench coat in Liverpool who hung out at Probe records and Eric's. Knew a few (then unknown or emerging) Liverpool scene band members. Not even my kind of music but crazy to be around. Tony Wilson was also there I seem to remember...

My girlfriend (now Mrs S) painted that Roger Dean album illustration (inside cover of Yessongs) on my bedroom wall when I was 17. It was around 12' x 8'. Christ knows what they thought when the new owners moved in.
That would depend on whether they were Yes fans :)

The shastric scriptures. Some lovely music on that double album despite the bloat.

My two daughters are big Taylor Swift fans and therefore I've seen her twice in concert.

I much prefer the acoustic early stuff to the recent World-conquering pop princess stuff, but I think generally she's underrated.
I think she's fantastic. We were gutted last year, we had to tickets to see her at Hyde Park, but it was cancelled due to covid. And my 12 year old daughter does really like her, but it was me who got her into her. As for her more recent stuff, Folklore is much more toned down from the big pop tune stuff, written with one of the guys from the National. If you liked the earlier stuff, and you haven't heard it, defo worth a listen. It's brilliant.

I think she's fantastic. We were gutted last year, we had to tickets to see her at Hyde Park, but it was cancelled due to covid. And my 12 year old daughter does really like her, but it was me who got her into her. As for her more recent stuff, Folklore is much more toned down from the big pop tune stuff, written with one of the guys from the National. If you liked the earlier stuff, and you haven't heard it, defo worth a listen. It's brilliant.
Yes, I had a listen last year and it's not bad. I mean, I don't like it as much as MY artists, but she's certainly got a lot of talent and is better than a lot of today's artists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.