The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

I was familiar with Josh Ritter as I have his first two albums ‘Hello Starling’ and ‘ The Golden Age of Radio’ in my collection.However I’ve not heard any tracks from this album before.

I agree there are lots of influences here, David Gray and Paul Simon being

the obvious but like Journolud I can hear Lenard Cohen both in the music and the lyrics.The earlier albums were very similar to David Grays earlier albums in them being mainly acoustic guitar driven.

I like JR voice which is a good start, as already mention there are a lot of good songs on this album, the standout for me being ‘The Curse’

I just love this song and even my wife insists on me playing it, which is very unusual.

There’s a good mix of styles and melodies including the gospel of

‘Folk Bloodbath’

The main criticism is its quite a long album so my interest wains towards the end.

A great pick worth a 7 plus an extra 1 for ‘The Curse’

So 8
Ah, thanks goodness - not just for the '8', but I was worried that your ever-present record of contributions was coming to an end!

Glad your wife liked "The Curse".

Whilst I like the two albums you mention (and "Kathleen" from Hello Starling is certainly one of his career best songs) I think his best albums all come later.

Given you are a Jason Isbell fan, it might be worth you taking a listen to Josh Ritter's most recent album from 2019 - Fever Breaks - because not only does JI produce, but his band backs JR on the album.

OK, that's the scoring done for the week. I'll happily read any more thoughts and reviews, but David Gray's Josh Ritter's So Runs The World Away finishes on an average of exactly 6.0 from 11 votes. With the exception of @Mancitydoogle 's last minute contribution, all scores were in the compressed 5-7 range.

It's now @FogBlueInSanFran 's turn to drop a clue to his next selection. I know that on one of the other threads he was "threatening" a certain band, so if that turns out to be the case, I won't take a guess and spoil it. However, I have the feeling he may have calmed down and changed his selection, but either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks @RobMCFC -- as always, great job on this thread and thanks for doing it!

As with my other picks, I am choosing American bands with records not on the @BlueHammer85 top 1,100 list in the hope that that thread is resurrected someday, and also to review slightly less well-known records I love.

I’ve done one record from the 80s, and one from the 00s. This time we’ll go to the 70s for some new wavey pop.

Clues:
  • A visual artist famous for his depictions of voluptuous women came out of retirement to do this album cover.
  • This was this band’s second record after a popular and acclaimed debut.
  • The band clue is below.
Horse.pngRingo.pngKitten.jpg

Ah, thanks goodness - not just for the '8', but I was worried that your ever-present record of contributions was coming to an end!

Glad your wife liked "The Curse".

Whilst I like the two albums you mention (and "Kathleen" from Hello Starling is certainly one of his career best songs) I think his best albums all come later.

Given you are a Jason Isbell fan, it might be worth you taking a listen to Josh Ritter's most recent album from 2019 - Fever Breaks - because not only does JI produce, but his band backs JR on the album.
I’ve had a really busy week, hence the last minute review. The JR song I heard was ‘Katheleen’

thanks for the heads up, I’ll have a listen to ‘Fever Breaks’

Thanks @RobMCFC -- as always, great job on this thread and thanks for doing it!

As with my other picks, I am choosing American bands with records not on the @BlueHammer85 top 1,100 list in the hope that that thread is resurrected someday, and also to review slightly less well-known records I love.

I’ve done one record from the 80s, and one from the 00s. This time we’ll go to the 70s for some new wavey pop.

Clues:
  • A visual artist famous for his depictions of voluptuous women came out of retirement to do this album cover.
  • This was this band’s second record after a popular and acclaimed debut.
  • The band clue is below.
View attachment 43594View attachment 43595View attachment 43596
Radiohead?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.