The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

David Gray - A Century Ends

1643062133623.jpeg

@Mancitydoogle gets it

Well I’m expecting serious points deduction for this one - not only because of Babylon but …also he’s a rag so I’m treading a very fine line here.

But… Pre White Ladder , David Gray produced some lovely stripped back acoustic stuff - including this one especially, his debut ‘A Century Ends’ which I think went completely under the radar.

I bought this as a teen not knowing much about David Gray apart from Babylon and it’s just stuck with me throughout the years.

It’s such a beautiful album really, lovely melodies - surprisingly upbeat in many songs but most of all and especially lyrically raw and sincere.

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea and I liken it closest to Jason Isbell’s offering we had before - but give it a few listens and it just might suprise ya!

Stand out tracks -

Shine
Let The Truth Sting
Gathering Dust
Living Room (personal favourite)

Last edited:
David Gray - A Century Ends

View attachment 35179

@Mancitydoogle gets it

Well I’m expecting serious points deduction for this one - not only because of Babylon but …also he’s a rag so I’m treading a very fine line here.

But… Pre White Ladder , David Gray produced some lovely stripped back acoustic stuff - including this one especially, his debut ‘A Century Ends’ which I think went completely under the radar.

I bought this as a teen not knowing much about David Gray apart from Babylon and it’s just stuck with me throughout the years.

It’s such a beautiful album really, lovely melodies - surprisingly upbeat in many songs but most of all and especially lyrically raw and sincere.

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea and I liken it closest to Jason Isbell’s offering we had before - but give it a few listens and it just might suprise ya!

Stand out tracks -

Shine
Let The Truth Sting
Gathering Dust
Living Room (personal favourite)
You mentioned DG in your JI review BH ; so the clue end of the century sealed it.
A mate of mine introduced me to the first two DG albums and back then I thought he was Welsh ,due mainly to his distinctive voice.I really liked his albums upto WL
Bob Harris used to play tracks from ‘Sell,Sell, Sell’ which was a hard CD to get hold of back then. I went to see him at ‘Night and Day’ just before he released WL ,there was about 40 of us in the place.
I’ve not heard this for years so looking forward to getting reacquainted.
good choice

The good news is that we are back up to 14 voters this week, the bad news (for @FogBlueInSanFran) is that the reaction to the Welcome Interstate Managers was pretty mixed. The overall score was torpedoed by a couple of low balls (editorial comments for entertainment value, folks - don't read too much into my words!)

Still, it seemed to be one of those choices that got us all talking, which can only be good. The average score was 6.07, which is just above the relegation zone.

I haven't asked him, but I trust him enough to expect that @BlueHammer85 has got his next choice lined up and will drop us some clues in due course.
14 perhaps not enough to get a handle on where FOW and this album sits overall.

I was a little surprised at the spread particularly those who voted it below a 5.

Anyway not always a downer if a record divides opinion as this one did so if nothing else a good choice on that score.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.