The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

I knew this was relegation material when I threw it out there.

but it’s a personal album I love rather than play safe with his well known one ‘White Ladder’ or a Beatles/Floyd or something Album.

No worry’s at all if you don’t like it - but good on you all for giving it a go - it’s what this threads all about.

If you like it, that's all that matters.

I would worry too much: I have a good chance of going from the top of the league to the bottom with my next choice. None of my choices will be based on what points they might score.

If you like it, that's all that matters.

I would worry too much: I have a good chance of going from the top of the league to the bottom with my next choice. None of my choices will be based on what points they might score.
That is the way I'm going.
Albums i like but think folk have not heard of.Couldn't care less what they score.

I don’t have a problem with his accent, but do find the constant gravel in his voice a little irritating at times.
It depends on the song. Sometimes it suits it and sometimes not.
For a debut album though I think the rawness that runs through it is more to my taste than a lot of the more polished stuff on White Ladder.
I can’t say I’m invested in any of the lyrics so much but there are several good songs on this.
Shine
Gathering Dust
Wisdom. and
Bird Without Wings

are all good songs and of the rest, there is nothing I would skip. I would have this on in the background, no problem. The missus found it pleasant too.
The trouble Mr. Gray has in my household is that for background music, he’s probably a long way down the queue. I’ve a load of stuff I’d turn to first, but, I still think this album deserves a 6 from me, as it is like other’s that I have scored, an album I would have no trouble listening to in anyone’s house. I quite like the fact that there are no recognisable singles from it that you end up hearing so often, you get sick of them.

Another good choice as far as I’m concerned. Something new to me is always a good start.

Last edited:
I knew this was relegation material when I threw it out there.

but it’s a personal album I love rather than play safe with his well known one ‘White Ladder’ or a Beatles/Floyd or something Album.

No worry’s at all if you don’t like it - but good on you all for giving it a go - it’s what this threads all about.
The great thing about this thread is ,in the main nobody’s choices have been obvious.We’ve had a lot of diversity which I think is great. I listen to a lot of music and I’m always looking to find a new artist.I used to find most new stuff listening to the likes of Bob Harris on a Saturday night ,which as I was out most Saturdays I used to record and listen to on Sunday morning whilst reading the papers.I’ve a few mates who are into similar music too and we would swap our recommendations.As I rarely listen to the radio these days ,with the exception of Radio X which the wife insists we listen to when she’s in the car,it’s hard to find new artists.So this thread and others help satisfy my craving ,as I’ve picked up a few artists I really like but have never listened to before.

As I’ve mentioned before, I was introduced to DG by a mate and then heard some tracks played by BH.It’s interesting to listen to ‘ A Century Ends ‘ now as it’s probably over 20 years since I last heard it.Its a good album, obviously to me the songs are very familiar but my affection for early DG has somewhat waned, as new and better singer song writers like Ryan Adams, Michael McDermott,Jason Isbell and Ryan Bingham to name but a few ,came along .
I also lost interest in DG after seeing him live, that head bobbing he does was a real turn off and of course he’s a rag!

so it’s a 7

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.