The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Thought it was 2 weeks, I've listened to some of it once, not sure i'll make 3 listens (but will try) simply because any opera singing is worse than nails down a blackboard to my ears ;(
Undoubtedly talented in their field, but it's like trying to enjoy watching utd winning games under GPC....can't be done.

I've done 3 listens of the full opera. I've also watched the film. Just for reference.

What can I say? I am not a fan of opera. Probably because I struggle to understand what's going on most of the time. This, even though I've had it on around the house at various stages of sober to I've had a few and at different times of the day, has not changed my opinion. Which is a pity as I really like some classical pieces. Holst's Planets is stirring, beautiful and takes you on a journey, a beautiful wonderous journey.

Rusalka didn't stir me in the same way. I listened to Renee Fleming singing Song To The Moon, it has a touch of the "Somewhere over a Rainbow", the thieving gits, about it. The music is lovely in places but her face looked like a gurner. Patricia Janeckova was easier on the eye but it still hasn't gripped me.

I've worked it out. It's the acting. The trying to tell a story. For some reason it really grates.

Anyway, without the annoying singing, I quite like the music but it's just not gripping enough for me. Nice in parts though.

A score. Would be a 7 for the music but a 4 for the singing so we will settle for a 5/10

Thanks for getting me to listen to a whole opera. Never done it before. Might not again but at least I've heard something new.

Yeah I was premature thinking thatbwas it and not more to come. I'll wait till it is all there then before blurting out any more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.