The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

I'm proud to be bottom !! :)

Cheers everyone for listening to Red, I love it but I realize its not everyones taste. and probably a bad pick from me.
Nest time I will select something that will probably appeal to more posters.
it is interesting that the first couple of picks are top and as the choices are made they seem to get lower and lower. Its almost as if folk are re calibrating what a good and what a bad score are. We should have sorted it out by June 2022. It was a fine pick btw.

Can I just check, what's the lowest score that can be given? Is it 1 or 0?

;)
Everything should be rated between 1 and 10.

But as per BlueHammer's comments on his thread, you should seriously think about whether something truly deserves a 1 or a 10 (or even a 2 or a 9, I might add). e.g. I don't like Talking Heads but even I recognise that they are in the middle ground somewhere and not deserving a 1.

Still, the next time they come up, I might give them a 1 in reprisal for somebody giving Led Zeppelin III a 1.

It's interesting really, I only have a couple of 10s in my own collection and that probably changes over time too, I'm a tough scorer.

I find when you truly listen to an Album over and over (if you have the time) and then read up about the band and history etc then its hard to get below 4 , you appreciate the Music the more you give it a chance - my experience anyway.

I find when you truly listen to an Album over and over (if you have the time) and then read up about the band and history etc then its hard to get below 4 , you appreciate the Music the more you give it a chance - my experience anyway.
It depends if you are scoring or ranking the albums. You can award a 1 but that doesn't mean you consider it to have no musical merit, you're just assigning it your own position in your own mind as to where it fits according to your taste. I think scoring based on technical aspects gets too complicated.

I sort of agree on the repeated listens but again that's difficult because if it sounds like something else you're just not fond of it could affect the score, hence why I do an initial full listen-through and score it at that point and then may do a subsequent listen again if I feel I've not given it a fair chance. I might do that with this latest nomination because I have had no prior experience of them nor this genre, although parts of it felt familiar - a bit Beatles, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel in places etc.

It's interesting really, I only have a couple of 10s in my own collection and that probably changes over time too as I can get bored with some acts then rediscover them plus I'm a tough scorer.
Wow that's tough on your own favourite music!

I have two albums that I love above all others, but I'd say I have about 20 albums that I'd score at 10 and another 40 or 50 that I'd give 9. That's what all the albums in these threads are competing against.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.