The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

Yes fair point. I surprised myself giving it an 8 and here's my thought process.

I'd only heard the one song before and liked it without feeling I ever had to hear it again. When I heard the first three songs, I though, right, this is 5-6 territory - nice enough but, like you said nothing like the best in the genre.
But what followed really surprised me - one minute I think I'm listening to the American version of Busted and then they roll out these slower more interesting songs with some nice jangly guitars plus harmony vocals. So now I'm thinking, I might give this a 7.

But that was before the last few songs, and I think most of us agree it's like listening to an Oasis tribute band. But to be fair, those songs are as good as a lot of the Oasis songs. Just to be clear, I like Oasis' first two (I mean three - thanks to BH for making me listen to The Masterplan) albums, but they are no way near my top 20. Oasis would probably just about make my top 50 artists. But on this album, "Bought for a Song", "Supercollider" and "Elevator Up" had me wanting to listen to them again.

The fullness of time might show I've been a bit giddy giving Fountains of Wayne an 8, but it's an absolute rock-solid 7 at worst. The fact that I didn't expect to like it so much really helped, which is where the additional point came from. Despite the fact that I try not to, I can't help but have pre-conceived notions about whether I'm going to like or dislike every single album that is nominated on here. I liked the Micheal Stearns album a lot more than I thought I would but conversely, the Drive-By Truckers should be right up my street, but I found Southern Rock Opera was way too long and didn't have enough great songs - yet I rated both those two albums a 7.

Relative scoring is a difficult balance but I've played Welcome Interstate Managers through three times and listened to a few more a fourth and fifth time. If that's not worth an 8 then I don't know what is. I think this is an unbelievably good pop album without qualifying for a 9 or 10.
I think the problem is that hooks must mean the music is trite and unimportant to some people, and therefore deemed less worthy of enjoyment, whereas to me they are absolutely central to why I like most music. Whatever “genre” a hook comes from isn’t especially relevant to me personally. Now having said that — this record doesn’t have near the gravitas the records I like best do — which is why it’d never be a 10 and would crack my top 20 faves. I don’t exclude great pop or pigeonhole it — but records with something to say mean more to me.

Last edited:
Although I liked SOME of King Crimson (and Genesis), I enjoyed this Fountains of Wayne album a lot more.
Overall on a record by record basis it’s better IMO than any record either did (that I’ve heard, which is most of them by both) because both bands through all their many incarnations (which by the way should tell you something about the egos involved) always had at least one and usually more hookless clunker(s) per record.

However, taken across all their output, Genesis had more really great hooky songs than FOW in part due to longevity but also just because they’re all fine musicians who can write. KC did not, and their hooks were effectively confined to the Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair period when — what a fucking shock — Adrian Belew (who knows how to write a hook periodically) joined the band.

You make the point well. We are all subjective and different. For me to Score an album 8 it would have to compare favourably to ones I would place in my top 100 or so. This album, whilst pleasant, wouldn’t come close to that.
So to me THAT’S a very different reason than “it’s not as good as The Beach Boys.” It’s not good enough to have room in hall with the music I love isn’t genre specific at all.

Overall on a record by record basis it’s better IMO than any record either did (that I’ve heard, which is most of them by both) because both bands through all their many incarnations (which by the way should tell you something about the egos involved) always had at least one and usually more hookless clunker(s) per record.
Genesis didn't have many 'incarnations'. Rutherford and Banks were a constant. Gabriel and Hackett left to further solo careers. Egos?
Trying to compare Fountains of Wayne albums with Genesis or King Crimson output? You might as well have a face off between Michael Bubble and Hendrix. ;-)

I get the Cars (although I'm not over familiar with them beyond the hits) and Oasis comparisons. Most albums on this thread are compared to someone or other by someone or other, I have a tendency to do that myself. But rather than being a valid exercise it seems to be a stick to beat the FOW with.

Having read about them before listening to them I wasn't sure how I should be approaching this album, should I be taking it seriously or is it a "novelty" item. I like pastiche and think the likes of Flight of the Conchords and Neil Innnes can be great fun but that sort of musical tribute only works so far as you like the style of music that is being affectionately paid tribute too. A more valid comparison for me is to 10cc, not in musical style but in the accuracy of their musical imitations and for producing music that stands alone on it's own merits. So, I've no idea if the first three tracks are meant to be a Busted tribute, I expect not but the Oasis tribute is more easily defined.

I initially if not dismissed then glossed over the first three songs as "lightweight" and I hold with this but they certainly aren't throwaway and bear repeated listens. As Rob and others have said the album takes a significant upturn after that and I think there are some great tracks in the mid section. I haven't caught all the lyrics but I think that they are very clever lyrically, capturing the mundane and the everyday in ways that Squeeze were masters of.

In the country song "Hung up on You" they have their very own Dreadlock Holiday (although guilty secret I like 10ccs stab at reggae) in that it's out of place, pretty divisive if this thread is anything to go by and, well unnecessary.

I'm not so sure about the Oasis stuff but then I'm not so sure about Oasis these days. I'm also not sure on balance about the singing voice overall but even so I found this album very listenable, I would probably explore more of their back catalogue and certain songs, Hackensack for example will make the long journey playlists.

It's not a masterpiece but it's pretty good. I'll give it a 7

Genesis didn't have many 'incarnations'. Rutherford and Banks were a constant. Gabriel and Hackett left to further solo careers. Egos?
Trying to compare Fountains of Wayne albums with Genesis or King Crimson output? You might as well have a face off between Michael Bubble and Hendrix. ;-)
That’s fair on Genesis though titling a record “. . . And Then There Were Three . . .” would have annoyed me were I Hackett. But of course going shorter and poppy was a direct response to punk, and the band said they weren’t very good at creating short songs — which underscores the point @RobMCFC made about it not being easy. At least they recognized they were at risk of becoming dinosaurs.

I like Fripp for his unique sound and the chances he takes and I even still wear my Crafties t-shirt but he’s up his own ass and always has been. You know what the best thing he’s ever done is? Producing and playing as a session guy with The Roches. FOW created more music I enjoy than Crimson. They’re better songwriters. Are they better sound creators? No. But there’s a difference.

Last edited:
I get the Cars (although I'm not over familiar with them beyond the hits) and Oasis comparisons. Most albums on this thread are compared to someone or other by someone or other, I have a tendency to do that myself. But rather than being a valid exercise it seems to be a stick to beat the FOW with.

Having read about them before listening to them I wasn't sure how I should be approaching this album, should I be taking it seriously or is it a "novelty" item. I like pastiche and think the likes of Flight of the Conchords and Neil Innnes can be great fun but that sort of musical tribute only works so far as you like the style of music that is being affectionately paid tribute too. A more valid comparison for me is to 10cc, not in musical style but in the accuracy of their musical imitations and for producing music that stands alone on it's own merits. So, I've no idea if the first three tracks are meant to be a Busted tribute, I expect not but the Oasis tribute is more easily defined.

I initially if not dismissed then glossed over the first three songs as "lightweight" and I hold with this but they certainly aren't throwaway and bear repeated listens. As Rob and others have said the album takes a significant upturn after that and I think there are some great tracks in the mid section. I haven't caught all the lyrics but I think that they are very clever lyrically, capturing the mundane and the everyday in ways that Squeeze were masters of.

In the country song "Hung up on You" they have their very own Dreadlock Holiday (although guilty secret I like 10ccs stab at reggae) in that it's out of place, pretty divisive if this thread is anything to go by and, well unnecessary.

I'm not so sure about the Oasis stuff but then I'm not so sure about Oasis these days. I'm also not sure on balance about the singing voice overall but even so I found this album very listenable, I would probably explore more of their back catalogue and certain songs, Hackensack for example will make the long journey playlists.

It's not a masterpiece but it's pretty good. I'll give it a 7
10cc is quite a good comparison I think in terms of the ability to write very good pop music and skip between different pop styles. Prefab Sprout were also in my mind when I listened to this.

I find it impossible not to compare with bands you already have a terms of reference with.

That’s fair on Genesis though titling a record “. . . And Then There We’re Three . . .” would have annoyed me were I Hackett. But of course going shorter and poppy was a direct response to punk, and the band said they weren’t very good at creating short songs — which underscores the point @RobMCFC made about it not being easy. At least they recognized they were at risk of becoming dinosaurs.

I like Fripp for his unique sound and the chances he takes and I even still wear my Crafties t-shirt but he’s up his own ass and always has been. You know what the best thing he’s ever done is? Producing and playing as a session guy with The Roches.
Steve didn't seem particularly perturbed when we last spoke about it ;-)

That’s fair on Genesis though titling a record “. . . And Then There Were Three . . .” would have annoyed me were I Hackett. But of course going shorter and poppy was a direct response to punk, and the band said they weren’t very good at creating short songs — which underscores the point @RobMCFC made about it not being easy. At least they recognized they were at risk of becoming dinosaurs.

I like Fripp for his unique sound and the chances he takes and I even still wear my Crafties t-shirt but he’s up his own ass and always has been. You know what the best thing he’s ever done is? Producing and playing as a session guy with The Roches. FOW created more music I enjoy than Crimson. They’re better songwriters. Are they better sound creators? No. But there’s a difference.
Even if you don't appreciate the sound creation and I actually do on this album , the song writing talent is undeniable and its the ability of the album to achieve its intention a lot of simple songs that you can easily learn to singalong to that is IMO is what is worth looking at.

It's not appropriate always to compare the sound and style to other bands you admire or not as the case may be.

if you just listen to the songs and musicianship its an enjoyable listen pure and simple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.