The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

Didn’t know what to expect with this choice as I’d never heard of the artist and I didn’t do any research.

As I started to listen to the album I first thought it was modern classical as’ Hagar’ reminded me of Einaudi ( slight clue to my next nomination in a couple of weeks).

The second track really surprised me as it had vocals which I quite liked with an ambient backing.

I didn’t mind the spoken word tracks although I wasn’t fond of the female vocals.

Overall a pleasant listen to a genre I don’t normally listen to.

Good pick Bimbo

6/10

Sorry everyone. Down at Center Parcs with the grandkids and I haven’t had time to review this properly. Will give it a miss this week rather than scoring after one listen.

Thanks.

Whilst any of us can listen to whatever music we like whenever, I think there is something to be said for being "forced" to listen to something in the same time frame as others. A bit like TV broadcasts in the pre-video era.
I concur, I really like this thread.I thought I had a fairly wide range in musical taste
and had heard of most artists but some nominations have been a real eye opener.
I like the fact we have a limited time scale to listen and review and then if we like what we hear add it to our own playlists.There’s been many a time a meant has said listen to this artist and it’s taken weeks to get round to listen to if ever.
Its fascinating to read each nomination and the passion and emotion the reviewer has for his particular choice.
thanks again Rob.

I’ve got a few to put on the new release thread, I just need to get round to doing it!

Just a quick thank you to @RobMCFC for this thread and by extension @BlueHammer85 whose review thread inspired it. I was just looking back and we've done 37 records here plus all those on the BH list -- I've gotten to not quite all of them but I count 60+ records I've listened to in the last year-plus, many of which I'd not heard, across a wide variety of genres. That has to be the most new/different music I've listened to in such a short time span since the early 90s. It really is a treat and I look forward each week to the next one, and try my best to carve out time for several good listens and a review. I'm really enjoying this and I appreciate all the effort the whole pod here makes to put up interesting choices and perspectives.

City fans really are the best across all fields of edeavo(u)r!!

Great effort by all concerned.

I'll go with a 7 for this one. Much of what I have to say has already been said so I'll try not repeat it. Favourite tracks are Creels and First of the tide.

Initially I thought it would be a bit too abstract for my liking. Some of the Public Service Broadcasting-like talking bits could be done without, but are not that uncommon either. Like it or not though, the album has a purpose and a mood, and is not trying to be an all-round pleaser. Which I always admire, and try find the right mood to get the most out of.

And that's where this one really works, there is a time, a place, and a pace for it, and in that, it is really good. Easy to listen to at times, beautiful in moments, and does what it sets out to. Happily dipping into some of his other work too. Good addition B.

Didn’t know what to expect with this choice as I’d never heard of the artist and I didn’t do any research.

As I started to listen to the album I first thought it was modern classical as’ Hagar’ reminded me of Einaudi ( slight clue to my next nomination in a couple of weeks).

The second track really surprised me as it had vocals which I quite liked with an ambient backing.

I didn’t mind the spoken word tracks although I wasn’t fond of the female vocals.

Overall a pleasant listen to a genre I don’t normally listen to.

Good pick Bimbo

6/10
Einaudi was just here in the Bay Area a few weeks ago — my oldest plays piano and loves him so he and my wife went to the show (I was out of town unfortunately). They got some pics with him afterwards — pretty cool! I agree and that’s one of the reasons I found the piano so comforting — it reminded me of what I’ve heard practiced in my basement for hours on end!

Apologies for the delay - a rare day in the office today.

I suppose it was to be expected with this week's selection, but there were only 9 voters. Still, people enjoyed Erland Cooper's Sule Skerry enough to give it a 6.33 average, which is just inside the top 20. So I'd say that @BimboBob 's bold pick was an inspired choice.

@journolud - the floor's all your for this week's selection.

I’m out playing cricket this evening and might have a struggle updating although I shouldn’t be batting for long. Your starter is above though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.