The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

I’ve always thought of The Masterplan as a bit like Singles Going Steady, or Hatful of Hollow. Yeah, it’s a compilation album, but it’s also probably the band’s best lp.

It's part of it matey - what score you giving it?
A charitable 5/10 then.
Nothing wrong with any of it. It’s just not for me.
I could almost say I like about 3 or 4 of the songs on their own. I just couldn’t listen to that whole album again. I find absolutely nothing remarkable about them or it.

Always preferred Oasis’s b sides to their singles. One of the first guitar tab books I had was for this album. It was brilliant for learning guitar to.

I don’t think I could listen to it nowadays though, at least not at home by myself. I overplayed it too much when I was young and the best thing about the songs are the simple melodies. It needs an audience or to be played live, a couple of songs aside. There’s not enough other interest there for me to keep going back.

Now at a reunion, it would be absolutely perfect.

Always preferred Oasis’s b sides to their singles. One of the first guitar tab books I had was for this album. It was brilliant for learning guitar to.

I don’t think I could listen to it nowadays though, at least not at home by myself. I overplayed it too much when I was young and the best thing about the songs are the simple melodies. It needs an audience or to be played live, a couple of songs aside. There’s not enough other interest there for me to keep going back.

Now at a reunion, it would be absolutely perfect.
I did guitar classes and the descending chord change for Masterplan was what I remember most out of that album.

I seem to remember the songs on this album were selected from a fan poll.

This was played to death back in the day, cant be many bands who have released a album of bsides of this quality, just a shame they were bsides and not released as their 3rd album. Noel must have had some sleepness nights realising that but the quality of the bsides were a reason to go out and buy the singles back then.

Yes its not as good as their first 2 albums, both of which would be 10/10s for me, of course its not, its an album of Bsides.

Listening now, I give it 8/10. if any 2 of - Round our way, Dyer wanna be a spaceman, Step out, Flashbax, Angel Child and Its Better People - had of been selected in place of 'I am the Walrus' and 'Swamp song' , it would be 10/10 as well for me, but both of those were fan favourites and staples of live shows at the time.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I don't listen to albums and haven't done for a very long time. I'm a music tart in that I'll listen to more or less anything* for a drink and a bag of chips. I am only interested in tracks I like so depending on my mood I even skip tracks in my playlists if I don't feel like listening to them. When I go into my music players I'll go for playlists, recently played, most played rather than say artists. I never go into albums.

I like Oasis and I have a playlist of their stuff but there isn't much that is on this album already in it. Acquiesce is a great track plus The Swamp Song is in there. Having listened to the live version of I Am The Walrus again I've added that as it's not bad. I find Half The World Away to be a bit too 'easy listening' for my taste and The Masterplan a bit tedious.

Overall score: 6/10

*exceptions being genres like Rap, Thrash Metal & John Mellencamp :)

Firstly, I’m not an Oasis fan I’ve always found them too ‘Beatlesque’ and I don’t like the Beatles
I don’t mind the singles they’ve released but I’ve never listened to a full album.
So this was a first for me.Most of it sounds very familiar although ive probably only
heard ’Masterplan and of course ‘half a world away’ which even I can play and I’m a crap guitarist.
There’s some good tracks on here but as an album it doesn’t work for me and it’s unlikely I’d want to listen to it again.
So unfortunately it’s a 5 /10 for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.