The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

That's fair enough and CCR as you would have guessed if you have followed are in my top 10 favourite bands of all time but not far behind is Steve Miller as its CCR I assume ( apologies if I am wrong you are referring to ).

I am guessing you have listened to early Steve Miller Band material but if you haven't listened to Children of the Future check it out I think you will like it.

How it took to 2016 for him to be inducted still baffles me but better late than never.
I have not heard “CotF” but I am a LONG time Steve Miller fan (“Fly Like An Eagle” was the first record I ever bought with my own money as a kid and the title track is in my top 20 all time song list) and I think “Sailor” is the oldest one of his I own (“Somebody get me a CHEESEBURGER!!”) As he was an adopted Bay Area legend he’s always been especially popular here so I heard his music on local radio forever. I always think of him as more a 70s artist. Wildly underrated as a straight pop writer, a guitarist and a blues emulator.

CCR yet another band with San Francisco roots. We produced almost as much good music as Manchester! :)

I have not heard “CotF” but I am a LONG time Steve Miller fan (“Fly Like An Eagle” was the first record I ever bought with my own money as a kid and the title track is in my top 20 all time song list) and I think “Sailor” is the oldest one of his I own (“Somebody get me a CHEESEBURGER!!”) As he was an adopted Bay Area legend he’s always been especially popular here so I heard his music on local radio forever. I always think of him as more a 70s artist. Wildly underrated as a straight pop writer, a guitarist and a blues emulator.

CCR yet another band with San Francisco roots. We produced almost as much good music as Manchester! :)
Much much better IMO COTF was when Boz Scaggs was in the group and couldn't agree with you more regarding how underrated Steve Miller as a song writer is.

Fly like an Eagle certainly not my favourite track but the intro is nothing short of sensational ( up with the best intros of the rock era IMO ) and I bought the record on that alone (LOL) but I am delighted and not overly surprised it was your first purchase and an excellent choice at that.

Anybody who hasn't fully explored Steve Miller is missing out on some incredible music and musicianship.

I am a big fan of New Order and some early Manchester bands of the 60's ( showing my age again ) but for me the San Fran music scene , the quality and depth of bands and variety of genres that originated and recorded much of their catalogue in the city for me places San Fran miles ahead of Manchester for all things musicality.

Just look at the massive number of songs written about the City compared to Manchester for starters (LOL).

Almost all of the Aussie music lovers I know prefer San Fran to Manchester by some margin.

Much much better IMO COTF was when Boz Scaggs was in the group and couldn't agree with you more regarding how underrated Steve Miller as a song writer is.

Fly like an Eagle certainly not my favourite track but the intro is nothing short of sensational ( up with the best intros of the rock era IMO ) and I bought the record on that alone (LOL) but I am delighted and not overly surprised it was your first purchase and an excellent choice at that.

Anybody who hasn't fully explored Steve Miller is missing out on some incredible music and musicianship.

I am a big fan of New Order and some early Manchester bands of the 60's ( showing my age again ) but for me the San Fran music scene , the quality and depth of bands and variety of genres that originated and recorded much of their catalogue in the city for me places San Fran miles ahead of Manchester for all things musicality.

Just look at the massive number of songs written about the City compared to Manchester for starters (LOL).

Almost all of the Aussie music lovers I know prefer San Fran to Manchester by some margin.
Ha, well New Order is far and away my favo(u)rite band of all time, and I do think SF should probably get negative points for unleashing Green Day on the world! I was a bit tongue-in-cheek sucking up to our locals here; I'm just their guest and they and God are kind enough to share their football club and music with me :) Plenty of great musical history from both towns but my metro area has 3x the population of Greater Manchester so maybe we have a numbers advantage.

I actually didn't know Boz Scaggs played with Steve Miller -- his stuff was popular here too as a local (especially "Lido Shuffle"), but he's probably better known among my friends for owning a bar called the Blue Light on Union Street for years that we went to. I mean, a lot.

Last edited:
Ha, well New Order is far and away my favo(u)rite band of all time, and I do think SF should probably get negative points for unleashing Green Day on the world! I was a bit tongue-in-cheek sucking up to our locals here; I'm just their guest and they and God are kind enough to share their football club and music with me :) Plenty of great musical history from both towns but my metro area has 3x the population of Greater Manchester so maybe we have a numbers advantage.

I actually didn't know Boz Scaggs played with Steve Miller -- his stuff was popular here too as a local (especially "Lido Shuffle"), but he's probably better known among my friends for owning a bar called the Blue Light on Union Street for years that we went to. I mean, a lot.
I was aware of the Bar I went to it myself on my last visit to the US but i was told he didn't often spend time at his bar.

I think you are a little humble when it comes to Bob Donut City and the music that has come from there your interest , knowledge and articulation of same is impressive.

Only showing my age again as the late sixties early seventies is where I always return to for my best music fixes albeit there has been some good stuff written and performed throughout the age of rock and all its sub cultures some of my very favourites like the Replacements you have introduced to a number of other posters on this forum.

Last edited:
I was aware of the Bar I went to it myself on my last visit to the US but i was told he didn't often spend time at his bar.

I think you are a little humble when it comes to Bob Donut City and the music that has come from there your interest , knowledge and articulation of some is impressive.

Only showing my age again as the late sixties early seventies is where I always return to for my best music fixes albeit there has been some good stuff written and performed throughout the age of rock and all its sub cultures some of my very favourites like the Replacements you have introduced to a number of other posters on this forum.
I don't think I ever saw him there either, on a few dozen visits.

To be fair, I was probably usually too hammered to recognize him.

Kind words, mate. Thank you! Plenty of great music on this thread from many, many posters (and very few records I haven't enjoyed at least some of).

Unfortunately on the "Songs You Like By Bands You Hate" thread, @PinkFinal has dared to insult Husker Du so I need to go harass him until he removes his sacrilegious (should be ban-worthy) post.

I don't think I ever saw him there either, on a few dozen visits.

To be fair, I was probably usually too hammered to recognize him.

Kind words, mate. Thank you! Plenty of great music on this thread from many, many posters (and very few records I haven't enjoyed at least some of).

Unfortunately on the "Songs You Like By Bands You Hate" thread, @PinkFinal has dared to insult Husker Du so I need to go harass him until he removes his sacrilegious (should be ban-worthy) post.
He should Flip his Wig (lol) which I actually have on my playlist some excellent songs with my favourites being Private Plane , The Wit and the Wisdom and Divide and Conquer probably in that order but I certainly haven't explored Bob Mould as much as I should have to date and know very little about him in truth.

Last edited:

CCR - a proper roots rock band with a bona fide music legend as their leader. Knocks the socks off anything Manchester has ever produced. But of course it all depends on whether you prefer proper roots music to all that other rubbish :)

Great pick @southamptonblue,its years since I listened to this album or anything by
Eels.I bought the first six albums and went to see them Live with Strings at
The Bridgewater Hall back in 2005 but for some reason stopped listening to them.I note they’ve released a new album this year which I will now be listening too.

The Eels are essentially Mark Oliver Everett aka Mr E.For those of you who think this album is morose try listening to the Follow up ‘ Electro Shock Blues’ made after his sister committed suicide and his mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

As you probably know I love my melancholy and this
album has lots ,but with a black humour vibe. I like the quirkiness of the sound , Mr E”s voice just fits , and the catchy melodies of most of the songs on here.

SB thanks to you I’m looking forward to listening to the new album and the back catalogue.I’d recommend the ‘Live at Town Hall with Strings ‘if you like this ,great reworking of most the better songs on the first 6 albums.

Nb Rob and BB ,I read that Grant Lee Philips guests on a number of albums.

A solid 8/10

CCR - a proper roots rock band with a bona fide music legend as their leader. Knocks the socks off anything Manchester has ever produced. But of course it all depends on whether you prefer proper roots music to all that other rubbish :)
I think CCR and New Order are different enough that I’d never try to compare them, and I love ‘em both. But while controversial, I’d suggest that — for me — NO has the longest catalogue with more songs I really love than any other band I know, plus IMO very few clunkers, which is why I say they’re my favo(u)rite. :)

I think CCR and New Order are different enough that I’d never try to compare them, and I love ‘em both. But while controversial, I’d suggest that — for me — NO has the longest catalogue with more songs I really love than any other band I know, plus IMO very few clunkers, which is why I say they’re my favo(u)rite. :)
Agreed its sometimes more than moot to compare bands of different eras , different genres , different audiences to some extent but what I will say is both are in my top twenty bands of all time.

As to who is more enjoyable that is difficult a lot depends on mood and circumstance so it can flip for me but if pushed I would have CCR ahead of New Order clearly my favourite band from Manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.