The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

Thanks Rob and thanks all of your for taking the time to listen and write.

@BlueHammer85 I look forward to whichever Morrissey album you select :) Not that you like or don't like him, but as a Yank I find the handbags that ensue whenever he or The Smiths are mentioned on bluemoon to be highly entertaining!

Now that is tempting.

The Album Review Club – Week #3

Oasis – The Masterplan (1998)

Selected by Bluehammer85

1634030626776.png

Did I really have to follow @FogBlueInSanFran with his great pick and review!

Been really undecided all week what to go for here and wanted to avoid the top 1100 - I didn't want to bore you all with Bob Dylan once again but Blonde On Blonde would of been a strong contender, 'Disintegration' by The Cure, The Smiths 'Queen Is Dead' (would have enjoyed the fireworks for that) Pink Floyd, Beatles, Bowie - hell any of the big dogs - my next review on Friday is even worthy of a 10/10
I thought about going down the rare unknown - Early Chem Bros, Band called Fink I'm listening too at the mo with a cracking album, Bear's Den, Kodaline or The Slow Show.

But! I've gone for The Album that got me into Rock/Pop - that brings back so much nostalgia and got me through my youth.

Firstly, the potential criticism here - It's not a standard Album, it's a compilation and as Rob confirmed we can pick 'any' album I thought this would just about pass - It's not a 'best of' or 'greatest hits' but it is a collection of their B-sides, secondly it's Oasis a unimaginative pick and I know many scoff at them - so I'm putting myself in the lions den here.

but as for the actual album, it still blows me away - The Masterplan era was Oasis at their absolute peak - Liam at his vocal best, so many loud crashing guitar riffs and Noel at his lyrical best - how on earth could they make Acquiesce, Talk Tonight, Listen Up and The Masterplan B-sides? the mind boggles! and they could easily have released a Masterplan 2 album - some of their B sides on later albums was just as strong.
Yes Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory get the plaudits, but maybe i have overheard them too much or just too popular nowadays for my liking - but if I do need a Oasis fix every now and then - then I run to their B-sides.

Nothing groundbreaking, no barriers being broken, no change of styles - but why does there always have to be? It's just a bunch of brilliant rock/pop tracks by a band at their peak. Say it loud and sing it proud todayyyy

Last edited:
Thanks BlueHammer. If it's the album that got you into Rock/Pop then it's a good choice.

I bought and enjoyed Oasis' first three albums and then left them there. This collection is one I've heard of but never listened to it, so looking forward to this one to see how the songs measure up (obviously I know "Half the World Away").

No problems with you picking one that's technically not an album, and it's fair enough for you to tell us that you rate it 10/10, but you don't get an official vote on the scoreboard!

I bought and enjoyed Oasis' first three albums and then left them there. This collection is one I've heard of but never listened to it, so looking forward to this one to see how the songs measure up (obviously I know "Half the World Away").

You’ll recognise more than that one for sure.
I would swap with you in a heartbeat to be hearing this fully for the first time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.