The Antikythera mechanism.

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
1727401681999.png
This artefact was among wreckage retrieved from a shipwreck off the coast of the Greek island Antikythera in 1901.
The ship was from circa 200 BC.
It must have been built before the shipwreck.
This thing that tracks the planets had 37 cogs. It is the oldest known example of an analogue computer used to predict astronomical positions and eclipses decades in advance.

The first cogs were thought to have been invented hundreds of years later.
So who the hell made this extremely complicated piece of equipment in 200 BC ?

Machines with similar complexity did not appear again until the 14th century in western Europe.

The story behind this little device is amazing - ISTR they believed that Plato (I think that's the guy) was involved in the creation of this and sadly the developing world just 'lost' the technology/mathematics behind it for over a thousand years! Youtube has all the story!

The story behind this little device is amazing - ISTR they believed that Plato (I think that's the guy) was involved in the creation of this and sadly the developing world just 'lost' the technology/mathematics behind it for over a thousand years! Youtube has all the story!
Plato?
Everyone knows it was probably Hipparchus.

Fucking Plato. Honestly.

It's a bit like indoor toilets and underfloor heating. The posh Roman villas had them and then...nothing for hundreds of years.

Plato?
Everyone knows it was probably Hipparchus.

Fucking Plato. Honestly.
Nah it was Plato who they say could stick it away.
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Your fellah can't have philosiphied much as the Pythons never sang about him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.