The Arsenal Myth

fbloke

If there was ever a footballing topic that shows journalists up as ill informed and out of the loop it is the situation at Arsenal.

On Sky this morning the 4 journalists (all apparently well connected and at the top of their profession) blindly agreed with the idea will now spend big because they are owned by a Billionaire, Stan Kroenke.

The fact is plain that they are not now 'owned' by a billionaire and they are unlikely to spend big until they are.

They have a majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke who is highly unlikely to pump millions and millions of his own money in the club before he owns the whole club, as it simply enriches the other shareholders.

Until he owns 100% of Arsenal he wont invest unless it is agreed with the other board members that it is in the form of debt to the club.

And with FFPR around the corner are they likely to do that?

Arsenal are NOT owned by a billionaire and they are not going to spend big this summer until they are 100% owned by one person.

Rant over.

Arsenal spending big will be them investing there champions league money into the market whatever that is. Or if they sell off Cesc to Barca then they might go to the market in a big way. Wenger hasnt had a lot of money to spend since they moved into there stadium. Its more of a case of them paying off there stadium still thats why it is some job Wenger has done there to keep them in the top 4 for so long.

What amused me about his little ranting this morning was how it was basically OK for Arsenal to go and splurge a shedload of cash because they're 'owned' by a billionaire, when all we get for it is constant stick and criticism. Bit like Beasley and Chelsea. It's not Arab money so it's ok. Pathetic the lot of them.

Not to mention flying in the face of everyone lining up to blow sunshine up Arsenals collective ring because of the fantastic way they're run. Now it looks like their previously unchallenged position is under threat and it's suddenly ok to go and spend huge. If you were to go back over just this season alone, then include the stories that will no doubt be reported on our transfer dealing over the summer, you could come up with a whole new paper of contradictions and double standards and a Sunday Supplement of Mario Balotelli related news. I know this tends to apply to the press at large, but the Arab xenophobia is almost suffocating at times.

Even if he did own 100% (or does in the future) how much investment is he going to put in?

This is one of the things that makes me laugh. We have an owner who didn't buy the club in order to make money, it's about success. The spin off from this success is money (fortunately, given the FFPR).

On the other hand, why has this guy bought Arsenal? Because he wants to make them the best in the world? Er, no. He added them to his portfolio of 'sporting franchises' because he wants to make money, and will have to help them to some level of success in order to make his profit.

I'm sure that if it takes a big spend to have a chance (with no guarantee) of having a winning team, but a little (or no) investment will achieve a good financial return he will take the higher profit margin of settling for 3rd or 4th in the league.

Same comments can be made about so many clubs, both sides of the argument, eg Delia Smith putting in her own money to Norwich knowing she won't see most of it again, new Liverpool owners seeing a money-spinning 'franchise' - or maybe I'm just being unfair ;-) -but Arsenal are the 'model of how a club should be run'. It really, really does make me laugh.

Like you said though fbloke, can't see Kroenke investing his own money and watching the other big shareholder (forgot his name, but he's Ukranian or Uzbeki I think) walk off with a large chunk of the profit. This could be an interesting story to follow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.