"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Could be suicide for the established outlets if it does.

And the newspapers hardly have a thriving business model anyway. I think the opportunity was probably too good for the decent writers to turn down, you get to write what you want rather than clickbait and get paid more and there's no guarantees that the papers will be able to keep the current staffing levels anyway, especially the regionals.

And the newspapers hardly have a thriving business model anyway. I think the opportunity was probably too good for the decent writers to turn down, you get to write what you want rather than clickbait and get paid more and there's no guarantees that the papers will be able to keep the current staffing levels anyway, especially the regionals.
Yes, for those that were selected, this was actually a fairly low risk proposition.

Last edited:
Only seeing bits of media on here I'm a bit out of the loop but, have the articles produced so far been any different from the stuff usually lazily churned out previously?

Only seeing bits of media on here I'm a bit out of the loop but, have the articles produced so far been any different from the stuff usually lazily churned out previously?

Yeah it's all good stuff that I've seen, they're not bothering with on the whistle match reports etc, the local writer's are doing a Q&A instead and then a more thought out piece later, 2000 words on Rodri yesterday from Sam Lee. I've actually been reading stuff on other teams too and it's all been good. The writers are pooling resources so you get little extra snippets, not just stuff from their sources.

I already had a subscription for NBA coverage but if you can afford I think it's worth checking out, it obviously won't be for everyone but it's definitely something different to what we've had in recent years.

So all things considered is it worth it?

If you've got the time to read a couple of in depth articles a day then definitely IMO. There's a number of discount offers flying around until the end of August.

So all things considered is it worth it?

I took the discounted subscription for a year, so I'll only have to put my money where my mouth is around this time next year. But if I feel then like I do now, I'll definitely be renewing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.