"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

I've been a subscriber for a year or two now. It has a pretty good reputation and many of the better writers in the states have joined by now. With the newspaper business changing and ESPN sucking this is the place for the best premium content over here.

For what it's worth, I subscribe to it because they hired all the best baseball writers that I follow and it's generally excellent. They've basically been going around and hiring whoever is considered the best writer covering most of the major teams in the US for a year or two now. I have big concerns over the viability of the model long term but it turns out it's very easy to hire even the best journalists away from newspapers when you have tons of venture capital money flowing.

Yes , seems Sam Lee has gone here

It’s understood The Athletic, which only last week announced an ambitious plan to launch in the UK, has already poached Times sports editor Alex Kay-Jelski ( says Oliver Kay soon too) and the Independent’s sports editor Ed Malyon.

When Kay-Jelski told Times management he’d be leaving the newspaper, two sources say the editor was “frog-marched” from the newsroom with only a short email sent to the rest of the sports team.

Shows what a lovely place the newspapers are to work in these days.

“They’re appointing a slew of national writers, which would create a hierarchical problem,” one industry insider said.

“For instance if you take the chief football writer from every broadsheet which one of them gets to cover the Champions League final?”

With £79m in funding...all of them go? Wouldn't be hard to have 3 or 4 journalists go and give proper in depth coverage of a CL final. The first thing you see on The Athletic's website is "In-depth storytelling that goes beyond game recaps".

Perhaps the industry insider not understanding that might be a reason the "industry" is where it is now.

Wonder if they'll be objective or just be a united platform to spew the usual American backed bile against us.

Still, at least it's ok for Dippers and media alike to take the money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.