"The Athletic" launches in the UK

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Ric, 11 Jun 2019.

1. VOOMER

VOOMER

2. Alan Harper's Tash

Alan Harper's Tash

It’s a decent article in my view given that they were the last side to beat us in the league and Rafa Benitez is a regular writer for them. What agenda have I missed?

3. deegee33

deegee33

I don't seem to see the same agenda with the Athletic as most on here. Perhaps due to me being a yank, I'm happy to have it. Although they have their writers from their markets, I think I would just find it informative as a "casual " neutral in the USA. Granted, I don't have, nor do I care to click on, the Daily Mail among many, who do their best to rile up the footballing public in the UK.

4. Alan Harper's Tash

Alan Harper's Tash

I’ve got it for a year, so will decide close to the end of that period as to whether it is worth my money.

So far, it’s been ok. A few decent articles and some that don’t pique my interest. That in itself is amazing for me, as I don't read 99% of the media in the UK.

What is in their favour is that they aren’t click baiting, which has been the dearth of journalism, and they seem to have more time to research articles, which make them a better read.

I enjoy any article that makes me think or challenges my perception, especially in football. The Athletic’s reporting this season seems far ahead of other publications (going on what people say on here at least!). I’d give it 7/10 so far. Decent, but could be better.

deegee33 likes this.
  5. kippaxwarrior

kippaxwarrior

Good article with Micah Richards today. Very honest and he comes across as a really good lad