The back four isn’t title winning quality

VAR took 2 points and turned down 2 stonewall pens,let's not forget that
I am a critic of VAR in particular the disallowed Jesus goal, and point taken, but while VAR overshadowed the two goals lost against Spurs it did not erase them.

I agree. While i've been fairly impressed with Rodri so far since he signed, he's definitely no Fernandinho!
He's a great addition, but unfortunately nobody does the job like Fernandinho. He just knows where to be and can smell danger before it appears. He's the one player I'd have in the team before anybody.

Everyone talking about the Stones-Otamendi partneship or this back back four not being good enough... let's have alook at the goals we've conceded this season...

Lamela's goal
Rodri's lack of pace/lazy running, not getting across to stop Lamela's shot (Fernandinho would have bust a gut to stop that)

Moura's goal
Laporte not getting across in time and challenging for the header

Wilson's goal
Laporte giving away a needless free kick

McLean's goal
Rodri not getting across in time and challenging for the header

Cantwell's goal
Walker not staying in line with Stones-Otamendi-Zinchenko and played Pukki onside

Pukki's goal
Otamendi not having the correct concentration or awareness

So four of the six goals we've conceded have been the fault of Laporte and Rodri. Neither of which are part of this back four that "aren't good enough" since one is out injured and the other is a defensive mid. Also Rodri's lack of pace/lazy running allowed the Brighton lad to run through and Laporte got injured (Fernandinho would have bust a gut to stop that).

And absolutely none of which are the fault of Stones who's got undeserved pelters since Saturday!

Everyone talking about the Stones-Otamendi partneship or this back back four not being good enough... let's have alook at the goals we've conceded this season...

Lamela's goal
Rodri's lack of pace/lazy running, not getting across to stop Lamela's shot (Fernandinho would have bust a gut to stop that)

Moura's goal

Wilson's goal

McLean's goal

Cantwell's goal
Walker not staying in line with Stones-Otamendi-Zinchenko and played Pukki onside

Pukki's goal

So four of the six goals we've conceded have been the fault of Laporte and Rodri. Neither of which are part of this back four that "aren't good enough" since one is out injured and the other is a defensive mid. Also Rodri's lack of pace/lazy running allowed the Brighton lad to run through and Laporte got injured (Fernandinho would have bust a gut to stop that).

And absolutely none of which are the fault of Stones who's got undeserved pelters since Saturday!

Interesting ... what this also shows is that teams don't score against us by playing really well or carving out great sweeping moves ... none of those goals are ones where you say "Fair enough, great move, not much we could have done to stop that one".

I'd also include Ederson as being at fault in at least the Lamela goal?

Interesting ... what this also shows is that teams don't score against us by playing really well or carving out great sweeping moves ... none of those goals are ones where you say "Fair enough, great move, not much we could have done to stop that one".

I'd also include Ederson as being at fault in at least the Lamela goal?

And the first goal against Norwich.... getting beaten at the near post like that... laughable. This show's EVERYONE needs to step up their game. Score 2 goals, i'd say the attack has done their job... Concede 3.... defence take the blame for this one.

Did we have a title-winning back 4 when we won 18 games in a row and 55 from 57 possible points?

Did we have a title-winning back 4 when we won 18 games in a row and 55 from 57 possible points?
No doubt losing vinny is huge as i said it would be,losing eric on top and we have a defensive crisis,john and nico are both rusty as fuck but they will get it together,but let's not kid ourselves,the defence is weak now,the midfield have to press better or there will be very many fuck ups in store

Lamela's goal

Moura's goal

Wilson's goal

McLean's goal

Cantwell's goal

Pukki's goal

Rodri is a new player to our system and is still developing and getting accustomed to Pep's philosophy. Despite all of this, he is doing amazing. No one is expecting a young Fernandinho out of him after this short amount of time.

And are you seriously comparing Laporte vs. Stones/Otamendi based on the previous 5-6 games? Everyone knows that Laporte is one of the best central defenders in world football. Stones is not even in the top 20, let alone Otamendi. Even Liverpool's Matip look like Sergio Ramos in comparison to these guys. They've both played under Pep for three years. Otamendi is way passed his prime and (respect to what he has done for the club) should have been sold this summer, and Stones development hasn't exactly skyrocketed these past years. He is far too inconsistent to be considered in the same league as Laporte, who has taken us all by storm since his arrival. We have to be honest and say that Stones isn't at the same level. A guy with Laporte's talent and understanding of the game help guys like Zinchenko and Stones look good, but it's painfully obvious now they both look completely lost without him and the back line look shaky as hell. But to be clear this isn't my opinion of Stones/Zinch based on just one game, I've had this feeling a long time.

I'm still waiting for Stones to take a step forward but I doubt Pep is looking at Stones as Laporte's long term partner. He still has a lot to prove and Pep will definitely bring in a right-footed world class CB next summer, maybe even in January.

Walker , Dinho , Stones , Mendy in their best form are good enough to win the title , just maybe we should all stop reading the shite in the media and give the players chance to redeem themselves , one thing we should have learned with our history , you write our teams and managers off at your peril. The Dippers September 2019 title win will be a distant memory next May.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.