The Beatles through the years...

Can't be doing with these "Beatles were crap" statements.
The band had virtually everything. They are not my favourites as I don't actually like them much as people but as showmen and innovators they are superb.

I am currently playing side 2 of Abbey Road on vinyl, I urge you all to do the same now, go on....

I love the sound of pepper
I distinctly remember that day 50 years ago when my big brother came home with it on the day of it's release
It was Summertime and the whole thing was a mass of colour filled with summery songs like Lucy......Cellophane flowers and Marmalade skies, it seemed to open up your mind, it was like nothing we'd ever heard before
Hard to imagine now of course
But it was magnificent.

After Revolver the Beatles delivered yet again.

I still love it.

If only Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever where on it as they should've been.

I said the same thing on the Pepper thread last month. If Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane had been on it, as was intended, at the expense of say Lovely Rita and Good Morning, Good Morning, then I think it would have stood alongside Rubber Soul and Revolver as being timelessly brilliant.

I fully understand its importance and I totally get the generational thing whereby if you were suddenly exposed to this brilliant kaleidoscope of sound, it would resonate with you forever, but I'm of the next generation and only first listened to it in 1978 when I was 14. Don't get me wrong I still think it's great - She's Leaving Home is probably my all time favourite McCartney track - but the dog whistles, chopped up hurdy gurdy tapes and so forth have the effect of dating it a little IMO. Plus I always thought they operated best when Lennon held the whip hand or operated with McCartney as an equal. When the latter got control I always felt there was an urge to venture into tweeness or sentimentality - Lovely Rita, When I'm 64, Mystery Tour, Martha My Dear, Ob la di, Lennon hated the whole damn lot. Of course that could just be complete bollocks on my part!

This a funny old world
I Want You, is my favourite track on Abbey Rd

Yep it's a really good album, my son's favourite but he gets really annoyed that they plonked Her Majesty at the end after 'The End', makes me smile.

I just read somewhere that I Want You was the last time they all recorded together.

If 11 consecutive no.1 singles in the UK including 'She loves you', 'I want to hold your hand', 'I feel fine', 'Day Tripper', 'We can work it out', A hard day's night', A ticket to ride' and 'Help', some of the catchiest choons ever written, not to mention occupying the no.1 slot in the album's chart for 51 of the 52 weeks of 1963 is evidence of their crapness, then yeh they were crap alright!
Oh and they were always on drugs, right back to October 1960 when they shovelled down Preludin tablets by the bucketload to get them through their arduous 8 hours a night, 7 days a week, 3 month stint in Hamburg.
The greatest band ever by an epic margin, from start to finish

Great post.

They are simply the greatest and best ever, by some margin.

I despair for people who don't like it, their ears must be broken.

Not great musicians bar perhaps George on guitar to a point.

Great music , great song writers bar Ringo , they will be playing Yesterday , Hide Your Love Away , Shes Leaving Home and Dear Prudence to name but four when we inhabit Mars to continue the human race which is the best way I think to sum them up.

If music takes you through the full spectrum of emotions we have crafted since coming to this planet then the Beatles along with many others achieve that.

There is little point comparing them to others but Rubenstein said She's Leaving Home was the best piece of music he had heard and Sinatra said something similar about Something.

That gives you some idea about how their music carried into the hearts and minds of others who were genius's at their particular craft.

Cat Stevens is still my favourite songwriter but as a group I listen to the Beatles as much as I do Led Zepp , Bad Company , Metallica , Collective Soul and Aussie bands like the Masters Apprentices and Country Radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.