The Big Match Revisited (ITV)

nixmith2

I don’t know why, but tonight I clicked on this on ITV Hub.

Now as a 52 year old I can just about remember games like this, but omg after so many years of ‘modern’ football so many differences stand out - in no particular order - oh by the way the game is Tottenham vs Sunderland a relegation battle in 1977.

The length of it! These days we either get full matches or ten minute highlights (or even a few minutes on youtube) this was like 30 minutes so basically 90 mins distilled to 30. Back in those days we only saw 1 full 90 minute match a year the FA Cup Final, maybe more if it was a World Cup Year, but this seemed like a whole game, even though it wasn’t.

The pitch! Rubbish.

The Haircuts - also rubbish.

Very tight shorts!

The standard of the football: seemed like a low championship or high division one game to me, even though Glenn Hoddle was playing, but you have to consider the previous points: the pitch and the hair.

Finally: so many times the goalkeeper on either side would do a massive kick up front…. you never see that anymore.

Overall, funny, but I prefer the modern game - Oh and they had loads of people in the ground watching (also with bad hair and bad clothes) we don’t get that these days!

Am I going Lockdown crazy>?

I don’t know why, but tonight I clicked on this on ITV Hub.

Now as a 52 year old I can just about remember games like this, but omg after so many years of ‘modern’ football so many differences stand out - in no particular order - oh by the way the game is Tottenham vs Sunderland a relegation battle in 1977.

The length of it! These days we either get full matches or ten minute highlights (or even a few minutes on youtube) this was like 30 minutes so basically 90 mins distilled to 30. Back in those days we only saw 1 full 90 minute match a year the FA Cup Final, maybe more if it was a World Cup Year, but this seemed like a whole game, even though it wasn’t.

The pitch! Rubbish.

The Haircuts - also rubbish.

Very tight shorts!

The standard of the football: seemed like a low championship or high division one game to me, even though Glenn Hoddle was playing, but you have to consider the previous points: the pitch and the hair.

Finally: so many times the goalkeeper on either side would do a massive kick up front…. you never see that anymore.

Overall, funny, but I prefer the modern game - Oh and they had loads of people in the ground watching (also with bad hair and bad clothes) we don’t get that these days!

Am I going Lockdown crazy>?
Brian moore was a quality commentator, miles better than most of todays shite we’ve to put up with

Try YouTube with Match of the 70s, introduced by Dennis Waterman, of all people.

Been watching it on and off with my 16yr old son and he couldn’t believe the state of the pitches, the fouls they got away with and the woeful defending.

There are quite a few City matches and of course the famous Denis Law back heal which he enjoyed and he was also impressed with some of the goals scored by dirty dirty Leeds’ Peter Lorimer.

Worth a watch if you get bored.

If you think the football in the 70s was grim you need to watch the shit we played in the 80s and 90s.
It wasn't City she was referring to it was football in general
Crap pitches, which meant the game was more suited to hacking down opponents than skill and passing
I like to watch it to see how good the better players were and I really appreciate how much easier it is on a 21st century surface to play football
It also makes me despair at the cloggers in the modern game

I’ve been watching these and noticed the keepers would catch the ball and while holding it and looking around for who was available they’d often bend and touch the ball on the ground. I remember us doing this as kids (whichever ones of us had gone in nets) but I can’t for the life of me think why! Any keepers on here who can remember why this was done but we don’t see it any more?

I’ve been watching these and noticed the keepers would catch the ball and while holding it and looking around for who was available they’d often bend and touch the ball on the ground. I remember us doing this as kids (whichever ones of us had gone in nets) but I can’t for the life of me think why! Any keepers on here who can remember why this was done but we don’t see it any more?

I seem to remember it being coached into me. It was either look for short throw to defender or punt it.

The football is miles better now however hardly any rolling around or diving then which makes it look even more ridiculous now. Goalies didn’t always wear gloves either. Proper men!

The football is miles better now however hardly any rolling around or diving then which makes it look even more ridiculous now. Goalies didn’t always wear gloves either. Proper men!

Talking of goalkeeping gloves, the ones they have today are getting silly (padding to the max) are there rules on them?

00C8D99400000190-0-image-a-30_1542318081297.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.