The Big Match Revisited (ITV)

Been watching these recently, some great & some not so great memories but the thing that I had sort of forgotten was how bad were some of the pitches, watched west ham at upton park the other night & there were only about 3 blades of grass on the whole pitch, the rest of it was thick wet mud!

Been watching these recently, some great & some not so great memories but the thing that I had sort of forgotten was how bad were some of the pitches, watched west ham at upton park the other night & there were only about 3 blades of grass on the whole pitch, the rest of it was thick wet mud!
And it was probably late October. The rest of the year played on what looks like a park pitch

Interesting to see that quite a few GK's were not wearing gloves, even when playing on wet muddy pitches.
I'm sure Joe Corrigan was gloveless for one of the games I watched.

Interesting to see that quite a few GK's were not wearing gloves, even when playing on wet muddy pitches.
It was because the standard gloves they had back then meant they couldn't catch or hold a wet ball.

And clueless for a few others. His debut v Blackpool when the ball went through his legs for their goal, and West Ham at home when Greaves made his debut is mainly remembered for Ron Boyce's volley when Joe was sauntering back to goal after he'd taken a goal kick. Gloves wouldn't have helped him then. Having said that, he developed into a first class keeper, gloves or not.

I think most goalies wore basic green gloves back in the day and from memory caught loads more crosses and shots than goalies do today. If you are of a certain FOC age, then you will know that goalies were always told to get their body behind the ball and draw it into your body to make a controlled save from any angle.

Today goalies have gloves bigger than most welders and I thought it was so there was space for their name, squad number and logo to make money from them in addition to shirts. No kid of 10 years old is going to be happy with a pair of knitted gloves his gran could have knocked up. The downside to the design is that when wearing this massive clove you haven't got as much 'feel' as the old design to get hold of the ball which is why saves are rarely seen and punches are more of the norm

I think most goalies wore basic green gloves back in the day and from memory caught loads more crosses and shots than goalies do today. If you are of a certain FOC age, then you will know that goalies were always told to get their body behind the ball and draw it into your body to make a controlled save from any angle.

Today goalies have gloves bigger than most welders and I thought it was so there was space for their name, squad number and logo to make money from them in addition to shirts. No kid of 10 years old is going to be happy with a pair of knitted gloves his gran could have knocked up. The downside to the design is that when wearing this massive clove you haven't got as much 'feel' as the old design to get hold of the ball which is why saves are rarely seen and punches are more of the norm
Seems a world away from the days of Pat Jennings catching the ball with one hand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.