The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

So the competition begins in earnest. Having been deliberately provocative about Dear Prudence in the first round I'm going to be more considered now.

Both these songs are great examples of bands with clear and meritorious identities and sounds that are both innovative whilst still being ciearly them.

Musically, Dear Prudence wafts and floats whilst How Soon is Now throbs and pulses. Lyrically and vocally you have hippie trail whistfulness versus (sub)urban plaintive urgency.

I'm currently in the hills overlooking the Italian Riviera and so the summery feeling of Dear Prudence fits well with the vibe (albeit I'm quite a few miles west of it's genesis). However, and though I often adhere to the idea that less is more, to me it is too slight and arguably it's a bit unfinished like a demo version (which incidentally is why I think some prefer the banshees version). For me How Soon is Now is the more complete, sonically interesting and substantive song and will get my vote.

I hope as things hot up people don't simply stay tribal. It is possible to love both these bands equally, I know this because I have a 15 year old son who seems to think money grows on trees and in his fantasy world has earmarked his next two purchases as a Marr signature Jaguar and a fucking sitar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.