The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

Barney has come out himself and said that he struggles to write lyrics and that they are the last part of the songwriting process, added in quickly at the end.

There's nothing clever or ironic about them. If he had the ability to write ironic lyrics, then he would also have the ability to write good lyrics, which he never has.

I think New Order have got some great music. Of course they have: after all, they are largely the same musicians who were in Joy Division. But the lyrics are so cringe-inducing that it is rendered simply unlistenable for me.
Personally, off the top of my head, I think the Temptation lyric is very good, as is Leave Me Alone, as is Run Wild. In fact I think quite a few lyrics on Get Ready are good (and I also think it's their most underrated record by a long way). The point is he doesn't take them as very important/seriously, nor to your point does he find it easy -- but he has to write them as a matter of course, which is why their banality is definitionally ironic. Better banal than "important" anyhow.

But here's the thing I don't get about this post -- I can't imagine calling pop music unlistenable because of the lyrics, anyone's lyrics. Those looking for profundity in pop must be reducing the potential number of songs they can enjoy by 99.9999993%. Between poetry and hooks, I'll take hooks. Otherwise I'd just, you know, read poetry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.